TryingToLearn
Puritan Board Freshman
I’ve asked this question before, but I reading Witsius recently and he argues that preconversion temporal “punishments” ought to be seen as fatherly chastisements. Turretin when discussing the perfection of the satisfaction positively quoted Aquinas as saying that "Before remission they are the punishments of sin, after remission they are the struggles and exercises of the saints" so I’m not sure if Turretin was trying to agree with Aquinas here with the first part in affirming preconversion punishments actually are punishments, or if he was only concerned with the second half of the quote showing they aren’t punishments for believers.
Does anyone got anything on how the Reformed have thought about this historically? And would they see an essential identity between temporal and eternal punishments?
Does anyone got anything on how the Reformed have thought about this historically? And would they see an essential identity between temporal and eternal punishments?