Testimony time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
What is your feelings toward the church allowing for personal testimonies to exhort and encourage the brethren? Does your church do it?
 
I am not enamoured with testimonies during the worship service. Paul gives his under certain circumstances and privately. The public deliverance of a personal experience is generally given by those who are newly converted, or having had an exceptional dramatic crisis, which can have deleterious effects on the speaker and the hearers. And, oft times panders to the prurient nature in man. A testimony is to be shared wisely in personal dealings with inquirers and with friends when opportune. It does not take place in the churches in which I move, but I notice a present trend in some circles of informal fellowships, to get visiting ministers to give their testimonies. These meetings draw a greater attendance, than meeting to share in spiritual discussion and the deep things of God, which was the old practice. Curiosity killed the cat!
 
I am not enamoured with testimonies during the worship service. Paul gives his under certain circumstances and privately. The public deliverance of a personal experience is generally given by those who are newly converted, or having had an exceptional dramatic crisis, which can have deleterious effects on the speaker and the hearers. And, oft times panders to the prurient nature in man. A testimony is to be shared wisely in personal dealings with inquirers and with friends when opportune. It does not take place in the churches in which I move, but I notice a present trend in some circles of informal fellowships, to get visiting ministers to give their testimonies. These meetings draw a greater attendance, than meeting to share in spiritual discussion and the deep things of God, which was the old practice. Curiosity killed the cat!

Just to clarify, not within the worship service. My bad. Forgive me.
 
During the worship service I rather not. Also in our culture most testimonies are given with a false view of when The Holy Spirit regenerated the person. I say this knowing many of our Pastors make this mistake In my most humble opinion in that they confuse to call to ministry to when they were regenerated. There is something to a mature faith that recognizes that an immature faith still saves.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top