The book of Joel?

Sovereign Grace

Puritan Board Junior
When was it written, in your opinion?

A) Pre-Exilic

or

B) Post-Exilic


I have my thoughts on why I lean one way over the other, but desire the knowledge of others. So please, jump in and let's discuss this. TIA
 
I have put very little thought into this. It seems to be more "old-school" to read Joel as pre-exilic and maybe more trendy to view him as post-exilic. I tend to be more old-school, with a bit of a skeptical eye towards our tendency to date Bible books later. It's not an airtight argument but there are many contextual details about Scripture that were held in fairly good consensus until roughly 2 centuries ago and I generally tend to favor 1800 years of church history over 200 years of modernist hubris.

But when I get into individual case studies sometimes my opinion changes as often the newer theory may have a really solid case for it. Traditionally I leaned toward an older date for the Exodus. I still do, but I grant that there are strong arguments for both dating schema. I tend to think Matthew was the first gospel written for no other reason than that it was placed first and I have read that most of the church thought that for 1800 years.

So, as far as Joel goes, what is the strongest argument for a late date? Show me that, but until then by default I lean toward the early date.
 
I preached Joel back at the beginning of 2021. But I can't remember what I said... there's been a lot of sermons since then! LOL
 
I felt it was proper to choose what I thought was the most likely date (if I could) in order to best teach/preach the book. I settled on an early date, indeed I am of the opinion that Joel is the earliest of the writing prophets.

The specific crisis that stands in the book's immediate past--not the "motive" for writing, but an aspect of Joel's subsequent ministry--is the throne-jeapordy that takes place when Ahaziah king of Judah dies, and queen-mother Athaliah slaughtered the sons and heirs of David in order to perpetuate her own power, 2Ki.11.

The idea of such a powerful threat to the Promise was unprecedented in history up to that moment. There were other threats, other crises that had come (and would arise, rivaling this one for desperation). But David's house seemed to hang by a thread, in fact to all but a tiny handful of witnesses for a time it did appear to all observation the kingly line was cut off.

Clearly, faith would not doubt the LORD must maintain his plan of salvation, and still would fulfill his promise to David concerning his son (Son) and heir. Clear vision of the reality of danger, but also powerful hope calls Joel to serve the church in that dark hour. He identifies serious problems that must be faced and admitted by the people of God and its leaders; but he also declares the unwavering purpose of the LORD to do good for his covenant race.
 
Back
Top