The Designated Hitter Rule...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard,

I'm a national league guy, so I disdain the DH. It takes away some of the strategy of the game.
 
What is the designated hitter rule?

Alastair,

It pertains to the sport of baseball. In American Major League Baseball there are two sub-leagues: the National League and the American League. In the American League teams are allowed to have a batter hit for the pitcher. This batter is called a Designated Hitter or "DH". The DH bats only. He doesn't play in the field. Pitchers are usually very poor hitters because their primary job is to pitch (or bowl using a cricket term). In the National League pitchers have to hit when it is their turn. Keeping the pitcher from batting removes much of the strategy from the game of baseball. One of the most often used strategies in the National League is the double switch. It is kind of like castling in chess. The manager can remove one position player and change pitchers at the same time. It changes the sequence of the batting order which can also change who has the advantage in a particular batter vs. pitcher match up. The American League game typically scores more runs and American League pitchers can stay in the game longer because their weak hitting is not a factor in the game. I am a baseball purist, so I do not like the DH.
 
Richard and Bill:

Right on gentlemen. I commend your wisdom on the subject. The DH is an abomination to the game of baseball and I second everything Bill said.

As usual it's all about homeruns and $$$.
 
Nothing more exciting than when a pitcher comes through with a clutch at bat. I almost feel sympathy for AL fans that don't get to experience it!

Go Bucs!
 
It truly does my heart good to hear such wisdom among the brethren this morning!

The DH is indeed a monstrosity that should not afflict the beautiful game of baseball.

Peace,
Alan
 
Maybe back in the Orel Hershiser days it was fun to watch pitchers bat, but not any more. The best hitting pitcher on the World Champion Giants, Matt Cain, only averaged .176. Boooring!
 
I don't think many people find it fun to watch a pitcher bat, but the strategy that comes with it is what is interesting (and true to the game)- double switches, bunting, etc.
 
Did George Steinbrenner come up with the DH idea to boost ticket sales? :popcorn:

I thought Charlie Finley of the A's was the chief proponent. Back in the 60s and 70s, Major League baseball was fast becoming a pitcher-dominated sport, and some owners (like Finley) were dreaming up ways to put more "action" into the game by giving the hitting side more advantages. They lowered the mound. Finley also advocated walks on three balls and brightly-colored, easy-for-batters-to-see baseballs—changes that didn't fly—but the DH was introduced in the American League.

Today, pitchers are less dominant than they once were—not just due to the DH, but in both leagues. The original reason for the DH no longer exists. In fact, American League games tend to run on way too long due, in part, to the DH. the DH, created to combat baseball boredom, is now a cause of boredom. They ought to get rid of the rule, which was a bad idea to begin with.
 
I think football originally had all players playing both sides of the ball. There were no specialized offensive/defensive squads, or kickers/punters only.
Baseball has kept to its roots far better than football, it seems.

Blessings!
 
Cricket has no such rule. Seeing a bowler (pitcher) (mis)using a bat can be very entertaining as he smashes a perfect hook shot just after the bowl has gone fizzing past his ear.
 
Did George Steinbrenner come up with the DH idea to boost ticket sales? :popcorn:

I thought Charlie Finley of the A's was the chief proponent. Back in the 60s and 70s, Major League baseball was fast becoming a pitcher-dominated sport, and some owners (like Finley) were dreaming up ways to put more "action" into the game by giving the hitting side more advantages. They lowered the mound. Finley also advocated walks on three balls and brightly-colored, easy-for-batters-to-see baseballs—changes that didn't fly—but the DH was introduced in the American League.

Today, pitchers are less dominant than they once were—not just due to the DH, but in both leagues. The original reason for the DH no longer exists. In fact, American League games tend to run on way too long due, in part, to the DH. the DH, created to combat baseball boredom, is now a cause of boredom. They ought to get rid of the rule, which was a bad idea to begin with.

Yes, I remember Finley now. It's ironic that Steinbrenner bought most of the 70's "best team money could buy" pitching staff from him. I haven't followed pro sports for a while now, so some of the dust and cobwebs just became loosened :lol:
 
Cricket has no such rule. Seeing a bowler (pitcher) (mis)using a bat can be very entertaining as he smashes a perfect hook shot just after the bowl has gone fizzing past his ear.

Woah. My mind is blown. This is why I started the thread on cricket earlier today!

Bowler=bowling. Bat=baseball. Hook shot=basketball. Bowl=cooking. So cricket is a mix of bowling, baseball, basketball, and cooking! :D Finally, I got it!
 
Hang on though, don't the winners of the AL and NL play each other in the world series?
How can they play a game if they have different rules?

I'm a keen follower of Ice Hockey and Association Football (Soccer), and I used to watch Baseball when I was a pup but never leaned much of the formal rules.
 
I remember when Randy Johnson went over to the NL and tried to hit playing for Arizona - what a riot! I agree with you guys - the DH doesn't belong in the game. And this from an AL guy. Go Rays!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top