The Gospel According to Rome (for real!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
UPDATE: See larger illustration in comment #6 below (thanks Rich!)

CathSalvPlan.0.jpg

(from James McCarthy's The Gospel According to Rome )

Last edited:
This is the widest, winding, darkest road to nowhere I have seen since I was an unbeliever.

Sorry, for those whose browsers don't display a picture, you can see the flowchart online here.

Actually, this source also allows for the best expanded view...

Getting me out or should I say off the Roman Catholic Way of what they call salvation was a great mercy of GOD to me. I with GODS keeping grace and power will never go back down that road of a works based belief system wether Roman Catholic or Protestant Arminianism ever again. By Grace through Faith or bust!

That thing is confusing.

...yet entirely accurate (according to RC dogma)...

Here are some other thoughts that came to me as I traced through the schematic...

1. This is NOT "good news"
2. Of course that little detour into "Purgatory" is said to apply to everyone (including the popes!), except those who are martyred for their faith.
3. Thank You God, for the simple TRUTH of your all-gracious plan of salvation, as is revealed in your Holy Scripture.
4: Thank You God, for the gracious re-proclamation of the simple truth of the Gospel that you ordained in the Reformation!
5: Thank You, thank You God, that You - and You alone - saved a lost wretch like me...:pray2:

Of course that little detour into "Purgatory" is said to apply to everyone (including the popes!), except those who are martyred for their faith.

Actually, as noted, the detour only applies if a person has temporal punishment due. The Treasury of Merits are those merits of the Saints who had an excess of merit to enter heaven.

Thanks again for that flow chart it is superb. Joe mentioned "McCarthy". Is this chart in a book that someone wrote?

"If I were a Roman Catholic, I should turn a heretic, in sheer desperation, because I would rather go to heaven than go to purgatory."
Charles Spurgeon

The more I look at that chart, the more glad I am to have found it here. It really can be useful. In a sad way, but useful nonetheless.

Thanks, Phil.

When I came to the block titled "Dejustification" my heart sunk within me and I thought, "If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, who shall stand!"

When I came to the block titled "Dejustification" my heart sunk within me and I thought, "If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, who shall stand!"

And yet there's an iPhone app that allows you to tally up your own sins for confessional. :barfy:

C.M. I don't suspect you have too many RCs in Vidalia. But there's a whole city of them up here in Louisville. It makes my heart sad. I had no idea there was such a term as "dejustification" in RC theology.

I'd be interested in seeing a series of charts. For example, what would a Lutheran one look like?

That thing is confusing.

...yet entirely accurate (according to RC dogma)...

Here are some other thoughts that came to me as I traced through the schematic...

1. This is NOT "good news"
2. Of course that little detour into "Purgatory" is said to apply to everyone (including the popes!), except those who are martyred for their faith.
3. Thank You God, for the simple TRUTH of your all-gracious plan of salvation, as is revealed in your Holy Scripture.
4: Thank You God, for the gracious re-proclamation of the simple truth of the Gospel that you ordained in the Reformation!
5: Thank You, thank You God, that You - and You alone - saved a lost wretch like me...:pray2:

As an ex Roman catholic turned Presbyterian Protestant I can tell you all that the chart is accurate and why I am no longer a RC and why I left that apostate church and renounced her heresies and her pope and Roman Catholicism completely. “The Sacramental Treadmill. Or, How to get to heaven the Roman Catholic Way. Or, It’s easy as 1, 2, 3…err…4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.” is sadly the truth of what Roman Catholicism is all about.

I say all the time what our PB brother Phil said in his last 3 parts above…

I say every day ….Thank You God, for the simple TRUTH of your all-gracious plan of salvation, as is revealed in your Holy Scripture.
I stridently say to my Lord Jesus and His father “Thank You God, for the gracious re-proclamation of the simple truth of the Gospel that you ordained in the Reformation!” as Phil has also said above.

Finally I say like Phil said “Thank You, thank You God, that You - and You alone - saved a lost wretch like me……” and I add for my situation “Thank you God for leading me out of the bondage of popery and to the true Gospel and the true Church of Jesus Christ and the Apostles and Reformed Protestantism.” I am thankful I am now a Protestant Christian , a Presbyterian. I could never return to Roman Catholicism. I repeatedly have said I renounce Roman Catholicism and her pope as did the Reformers of the Reformation . I am thankful to be a Protestant and have had the experience of heaving a true Protestant conversion as John Calvin himself described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back