The Moderator Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Every once in a while, a moderator will say he or she is donning his or her moderator hat to do some. . .uh. . .moderating.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here at the Puritan Board who is curious about this hat.

Is it a flat cap? Is it more like a baseball cap (hope not)? is it a porkpie hat? Is it a fedora (that'd be cool)?

Do male and female moderators have different hats, differentiating the two sexes?

After all these years at the Puritan Board, I'm curious. And, as I said, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

WE WANNA SEE THE HAT!

(Hard to type in all caps with a cheap keyboard with no caps lock key.)

Puritan Board’s first moderator hat:

John-Calvin-portrait-Konrad-Meyer.jpg

No, no, I'm not convinced of those. Based on etymology it would need to be some manner of modest and restrained bird crest or hood, and would have to be immediately recognisable as distinctive and common, particularly peculiar as it were to all such designees of the PB. Something like a feathery pancake perhaps.

Do male and female moderators have different hats, differentiating the two sexes?
They're called moderesses, and there is some confusion about whether the Greek term in the feminine refers to the office of moderator, or simply one who makes a practice of moderating. The RPCNA has had them since the 1890's, to the chagrin of more conservative members of NAPARC.

They're called moderesses, and there is some confusion about whether the Greek term in the feminine refers to the office of moderator, or simply one who makes a practice of moderating. The RPCNA has had them since the 1890's, to the chagrin of more conservative members of NAPARC.
I think there are only two. That was the last time I asked about it. It wasn't in our Presbytery. Either way we are trying our best to remain faithful to the Scriptures and have done a pretty good job if you ask me.

Perhaps "moderettes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back