The Name "Christopher"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
What are your thoughts on the name "Christopher"?

Should it be avoided since "Christ" is included in the name?

It appears to be a Roman Catholic derived name meaning "Bearer of the anointed one (Christ)."

Raised Roman Catholic, I was named after St. Christopher, I was told he was my saint and I wore the Catholic medal around my neck. According to RC legend this saint carried the Christ child over a dangerous and swift river.

Is there any reason to avoid giving this name to our covenant children?

So do we treat this name the same as some do with Christmas and Xmas?

Should I be called XopherPaul? ;)

Serious question (I will not be ofended if you think my name is blasphemous)

Last edited:
We named our first son Michael Christian Winebrenner. Interestingly enough, he decided to go by the name Christian when he was about 20 (5 years ago). Obviously we had no problem with the name, and our pastor, who is our younger son's (Jeremiah William) father-in-law, has never made a comment about it.

Christopher is a nice name and to me pays homage where homage is due. If anyone wants to nitpick, why not also pick on the name Michael (who is like the LORD?) or Jeremiah (God will exalt) since they make reference to God? William, however, was the name of the doctor who almost dropped him as he was coming out.:lol:

Although I would have a problem naming a daughter Jezebel (condemned). Meaning and association, and how the initials work, are important to me.

My biggest problem with being named Christopher myself is that on the fill in the bubble tests in grade school they never had enough bubbles for the whole name. So it came out Christophe. Which if you looked at my current TN drivers license it drops the r as well.:rant:

As far as the name itself goes, I was named after someone on TV or something. I wouldn't sweat it. I go by Chris anyhoo.:2cents:

My biggest problem with being named Christopher myself is that on the fill in the bubble tests in grade school they never had enough bubbles for the whole name. So it came out Christophe. Which if you looked at my current TN drivers license it drops the r as well.:rant:

You think that's bad, try having a first name of Robert and a middle initial 'A' and see how many times telemarketers call you "Roberta." :rant:

I think Christopher is a great name. 'Bearer of Christ' or 'lover of Christ' is a most excellent appellation. It is my oldest son's middle name and has a special family heritage. Saint Christopher wasn't named after a Roman Catholic saint, he named in honor of Christ the Lord.

Dear Christopher,

I think Christopher is a great name! It is true you could think of it in some strange ways. For example, to say one bears Christ as Mary did would be both wrong and awkward. But there a lots of great possible meanings of "bear"

1. have; "bear a resemblance"; "bear a signature"
  2. move while holding up or supporting; "Bear gifts"; "bear a heavy load"; "bear news"; "bearing orders"
  3. bring forth, "The apple tree bore delicious apples this year"; "The unidentified plant bore gorgeous flowers"
  4. hold: contain or hold; have within; "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water"
  5. yield: bring in; "interest-bearing accounts"; "How much does this savings certificate pay annually?"
  6. wear: have on one's person; "He wore a red ribbon"; "bear a scar"
  7. behave: behave in a certain manner; "She carried herself well"; "he bore himself with dignity"; "They conducted themselves well during these difficult times"
  8. have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices; "She bears the title of Duchess"; "He held the governorship for almost a decade"

Overall, I think there's
Frankly, whenever I reflect on my own name I am humbled and thankful.

Best,
Christopher

Wow, there are a lot of Chris' on this board. :)

Thanks for the responses, I was curious. Although I do not like how my name was derived, I have always liked it. I actually would prefer being called "Chistopher", but that will never happen. Peope will always call me "Chris" and that is fine too, but it just seems like a name few people wish to "spit out" as if it is too long to say.

:agree: Tell me about it!

My name is constantly being cut off. I remember one of those fill in the bubble tests in school where I could only fit "Christ" in the space allotted!

It's better than Lucifer.

LOL, thanks for looking at the bright side!

So what should stop us from naming any of our children "Jesus"? Many do name their children Joshua without a batting an eye, but it is taboo to name anyone "Jesus" (at least in America anyway). Is this due more to superstition?

For those who may think using the name "Jesus" is wrong, then wouldn't "Christ" be as well? Or even Joshua for that matter?

Wow, there are a lot of Chris' on this board. :)

Thanks for the responses, I was curious. Although I do not like how my name was derived, I have always liked it. I actually would prefer being called "Chistopher", but that will never happen.

Or you could go with Christobal (or Christobol), Columbus' first name in Spanish.

I worked with a guy named Michael Cutter long ago, and he took to calling himself Miguel Cortador, although he never actually changed his name.

Call yourself Kristofer, if you want. :D

Or you could go with Christobal (or Christobol), Columbus' first name in Spanish.

I worked with a guy named Michael Cutter long ago, and he took to calling himself Miguel Cortador, although he never actually changed his name.

Call yourself Kristofer, if you want. :D

Nah, I like Christopher just fine thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back