The New Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the story behind the name changes of incoming popes? I am unfamiliar with the history and reasoning behind this.

The first pope to change his name was John II in 533. Believe it or not, his name at birth was Mercury! He couldn't very well keep the name of a pagan Roman god, (though we protest-ants are thinking "why not?") so he changed his name. There was actually a pope who was born Peter who changed his name to Sergius for obvious reasons.

So the answer to your question is, the pope changes his name for the same reason Robert Zimmerman changed his to Bob Dylan - for the business. :scholar:

Originally posted by tfelice
Interestingly enough Benedict XVI wrote an encyclical letter regarding the punishment of heretics (that's us Protestants). Quoting from it:

if at any time he should fly to a place of protection, ought to be dragged forth from it, AS OFTEN AS PROOF SUFFICIENT FOR THE TORTURE COULD BE HAD

I'm wondering if Benedict XVII will be reinstituing the practice of torture early on or will he wait to get his feet wet?

Just to clarify, I think you mean that Benedict XV wrote the encyclical letter. The new Pope is Benedict XVI.

It is interesting to note that there have also been three anti-popes in history with the name Benedict.

Pope Benedict

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
I don't really know where you're going with that, but nothing at all was being discussed about theonomy...the issue was over the nature of the Pope as our "enemy" or not.

Absolutely he is our enemy. He is a liar and deceiver. He persecutes the church and has done so since the inception of the papacy. He promotes a false gospel. He has openly declared war on Protestants.

Liberal protestantism embraces the Pope. Neo-evangelicals embrace the Pope. So much of what calls itself Christian does not hold the historic Protestant position, but instead mocks it by calling Romanists "separated brethren". Rome does not only has 1 billion adherents worldwide, but many willing accomplices in the so called "Evangelical community" and those of us who verbally reject the papacy are vilified as being intolerant.

J. A. Wylies "The Papacy is the Antichrist" is the best essay concerning the identity of the Papacy as Antichrist. For those that have not read that I would urge you to do so.

http://www.historicism.net/readingmaterials/thepapacy.pdf

That article by Paisley: one point of disagreement so far with me. However, one thing that I still am kinda wondering about (probably should be its own topic); the verse says Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
wonder if they'll ever get another female pope in :bigsmile:....lol

I'd look for a female Archbishop of Canterbury first. :p

Anybody hear about the pink smoke demonstration the nuns did during the vigil? We can only hope the feminist equation keeps Pope Benedict busy.

R.

wonder if they'll ever get another female pope in :bigsmile:....lol

It'll never happen....if they did, people might start to identify the pope as the Antichrist!

:lol:

Just kidding :handshake:

Well, she could just pose as a man like the first female pope did...

(I know, everyone is going to think I'm smoking something)

Originally posted by turmeric
I'd guess a sodomite one would probably be first.

Are you sure that would be a first?

Meg you are a crack up!!
lol-2.gif

wonder if they'll ever get another female pope in ....lol

I thought you said ANOTHER. You learn something new everyday. :D

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by Augusta]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Pope Joan I!

Cool, someone who knows their "weird events" in Church History!

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Pope Joan I!

Cool, someone who knows their "weird events" in Church History!

So the question then, is would she be a Popess, or a "potpourri"? :p

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
Originally posted by Draught Horse
I know I have been on a tangent lately vindicating Greg Bahnsen against AAPC and RefCat charges, but I thought his comments on Papism were to the point, just in case anybody thought he was in cahoots with the above two groups:

This is taken from his sermon, The Road to Rome: Was the Reformation Right?"

I grant you the Pope is a pretty nice guy. I could probably go to a ball game with him. But when he puts on that mitre and offers again Christ as a sacrifice on the Mass, he is my sworn-enemy, now and forever, unless God grants him repentance.

So much for ecumenicity.

Or being bliblical for that matter. See Ephesians 6:12. They are not our enemies more than any other unbeliever. They are our mission.

Just because the higher eschelons of the RCC is my enemy does not mean that I hate them. I pray and ache and weep over the average laymen--he doesn't know the darkness he is in and I know that there are some in the RCC who have despaired over ever being good enough and end up in confusion.

[Edited on 4--21-05 by Draught Horse]

Or being bliblical for that matter. See Ephesians 6:12. They are not our enemies more than any other unbeliever. They are our mission.

So am I to understand you hold the Apostle Paul guilty for the words "As regards the gospel, they are enemies of God for your sake." in reference to the ethnic Jews of his time, being enemies of the gospel (as the Papacy is)?

I believe an apology is in order, for bringing a false accusation and charge against a deceased saint and elder, that he was not "biblical" on this issue.

Calm down brother Gabe, there is a distinction to be made between the enemies of God and our enemies. We don't know who the enemies of God are. I was once an enemy of God but still believers preached the gospel to me and prayed for me. We are to love OUR and God's enemies because we don't know who the goats are. We are to treat everyone better than they deserve (Rom 12).

So I think you're being a bit harsh here. I agree that the Pope and the RCC represent a system that is against the gospel, but the individuals in the RCC including the pope need our prayers of intercession. In my humble opinion

I was just curious, in your part of the world, what kind of coverage the new pope has been getting in the newspapers, etc. He's getting 'good' coverage in my area. In one paper, his picture pretty much filled the entire front page...and, of course, he was bending down to touch the heads (or bless or whatever) of two cute little children. Nice PR.

[Edited on 4-22-2005 by blhowes]

the news here can't get enough of him....lots of catholics here...and judging by the way the news anchors act, they must be catholic...puke!

the news here can't get enough of him....lots of catholics here...and judging by the way the news anchors act, they must be catholic...puke!
I'd guess that near most big cities, or wherever there's a large catholic population, there'd be the same type of coverage. It'd be interesting to hear from those from not-so-catholic areas (if they exist) what the coverage is like.

I find it amazing how quickly 'everybody' exalts this man, since before the previous pope died I'd imagine the man was pretty much an unknown person to the majority. (I'm sure he was well known to those in the catholic hierarchy, but I'm thinking of your average Joe/Josephine blow on the street). Its quite a phenomenon.

[Edited on 4-22-2005 by blhowes]

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
So am I to understand you hold the Apostle Paul guilty for the words "As regards the gospel, they are enemies of God for your sake." in reference to the ethnic Jews of his time, being enemies of the gospel (as the Papacy is)?

Nope. Reread the thread. The issue is not enmity with God. All believers are at enmity with God. The issue is enmity with the Church. Paul wept over his lost countrymen (as DraughtHorse mentioned he does over the lost). My only point was that the fact that the RCC (or any other group of unbelievers) is in opposition to the gospel ought not necessarily mean that we are hostile towards them. In fact, such an attitude is patently unbiblical.

I believe an apology is in order, for bringing a false accusation and charge against a deceased saint and elder, that he was not "biblical" on this issue.

Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I have no idea who you think I was accusing of anything. I suspect you haven't read the thread. Or if you have, you probably should have asked me for clarification before making your own accusation.

But I won't ask you to apologize. ;)

Originally posted by maxdetail
Calm down brother Gabe, there is a distinction to be made between the enemies of God and our enemies. We don't know who the enemies of God are. I was once an enemy of God but still believers preached the gospel to me and prayed for me. We are to love OUR and God's enemies because we don't know who the goats are. We are to treat everyone better than they deserve (Rom 12).

So I think you're being a bit harsh here. I agree that the Pope and the RCC represent a system that is against the gospel, but the individuals in the RCC including the pope need our prayers of intercession. In my humble opinion

:ditto: My point exactly. Thank you for articulating it so well.

Paddy had his elbows locked firmly on the bar and continued to down one pint after another until there was nothing at all left to control his tongue. Suddenly he raised himself up and called out, "The pope is a dope!".

Within moments the O'Mally twins rose from their table, crossed the floor and pounced on old Paddy. They knocked him back and forth for a bit and then mercifully let him fall to the floor.
After a good 45 minutes went by, Paddy slowly climbed back up onto his stool where he again locked his elbows onto the bar ledge.

O'toole moved in beside him and whispered, "Paddy, didn't ya know the O'Mally's were catholic. "Aye", answered Paddy, "I did... but I didn't realize the pope was."

Ratzinger gives Protestant the eucharist

There is an article on Christianitytoday.com stating that the then Cardinal Ratzinger gave Br. Roger of the Taize community the eucharist during the mass for JPII's funeral. Looks like he gave it to others as well.

Almost unnoticed by the world's media looking for sensations at the memorial service for John Paul II, Ratzinger quietly communed Brother Roger Schutz, the Swiss Protestant pastor and founder of the vibrant ecumenical community in Taizé, France.

Benedict XVI, arguably the foremost Catholic theologian of our time, has always been an ecumenist, though never a fuzzy one. If he gives the Sacrament to a member of another Christian church"”and Schutz was not the only one"”he makes it abundantly clear he consider this person a fellow member of the mystical Body of Christ, which is the Church.

I've read from so much from internet RC apologists that if a protestant attends mass and takes the eucharist he is brining condemnation upon himself. Which I believe is easliy found in RC teachings. Now we have the new pope going against his own churches ordinances which have been in place for 2000 years. :bigsmile: I am sure there are many explantions....there always is.

I'm not sure where thsi Q fits since the Pope has made his way into several threads now, but I keep reading and hearing how Ratzinger...OK, BenedictXVI...is going to be very concerned with ecumenism.
Quote:
He will "work to strengthen Christian unity and improve ties with other faiths."

Since when have they ever been concerned with anything other tahn bringing "Christians" back to the Mother CHurch? Since when are other "faiths" to be coddled?

The Pope also says hsi primary task is to reunify all Christians and to continue "an open and sincere dialogue" with other religions. YET, his 2000 document,
Dominus Iesus outlined the Catholic Church as the exclusive road to salvation and angered Protestants, Jews, Muslims and other non-Christians. (Columbus Dispatch, THurs. April 21 pg. A9)

Strange indeed. :scholar:

I cannot take lightly someone bringing false accusations against a deceased saint. That's all. If I misunderstand your point, then I believe you misunderstand mine, and you certainly misunderstand the late Dr. Bahnsen. :pray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back