The Powerful Atonement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantlyreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
I wrote this essay a few days ago (more or less my thoughts on paper, not an official, nicely edited essay per se) on what I consider "The Powerful Atonement". Any thoughts on this?

The biggest issue that most have with Calvinism is with Limited Atonement (sometimes called definite redemption or specific atonement). For in it, it is said that Christ was not put on the cross for every single person’s sins, but rather, only for the sins of the elect. Of course, the initial verses that are raised are the ones that regard the word “world” as meaning all peoples everywhere, every single person, but this of course cannot be proved, as many times the world simply means “all sorts” or “all kinds” of people anywhere. Surely the entire world has received some benefit from the crucifixion, as in it, life has come to so many, and through them, they have been a light unto the world. However, not all have experienced the salvific intent of the cross. Is this our fault, or Christ’s intent? If everyone’s sins were put on Christ at the cross, then all those sins would be covered – and if unrepentant sinners were still punished for those sins in the afterlife, then God would be punishing for the sins twice – once in Christ, and once in the sinners. This, of course, is irreconcilable with Holy Scripture. For if none had believed in Christ after the crucifixion, then Christ would have suffered for no reason.

Think of the atonement in this way:
On earth, did Christ have all the power of the Godhead at His disposal? Matthew 28:18 states “All power in heaven and earth has been given to Me”. That pretty much sums it up. Some versions say “all authority”, but the idea is the same; Christ had the power of the Godhead at His disposal while on earth. At times, however, He chose to not utilize that power. For instance, when He said that only the Father knows the day and the hour of His return…or when He struggled in the carrying of the cross to Golgatha. Both were signs of His not accessing the power He had to overcome in these instances. Christ frequently drew upon this power in the working of miracles…the feeding of the hungry, healing the sick, turning water into wine.

How much power? Did Christ utilize all the power of God to work the miracles He did? Did it take all of God’s power to drive out demons, or just a smidgen? What about the water being changed to wine? Was that a struggle for Christ, or just a piece of cake? I would argue that the power of God is infinite, unbound except by His eternal existence. The source of God’s power is in Himself…it is not sourced from something outside of Him, and as such, is infinite. The atonement is the same, and follows the same design. As it was the blood of Christ that was spilt, the blood had infinite worth and power. There is no lack in the crucifixion. In it, Christ, part of the Trinity, was put to death and His blood was shed for the sins of the world. However, just as the miracles of Christ had specific purpose and recipients, so too does the blood.

The power and ability of the blood does not necessitate the recipients of the blood. The power of the blood only proves who Christ said that He is. The blood’s purpose is to cover specific recipients’ sins; those who were given to Christ as a love offering from the Father (John 6:37-40). His blood is far powerful enough to cover all the sins of mankind. This is how a sacrifice by a man could cover all’s sins. The sacrifice had to be perfect, unspotted. In this way, the sacrifice of Christ was satisfying to the Father for the sins of all who would believe. Just as the power of Christ while on earth specifically worked certain miracles, attaining its goal, so does the blood of Christ attain its goal. It does what it was intended to do.

This does not mean that the world may not reap benefits of the crucifixion of Christ and the power that comes from it. The woman who touched Christ’s cloak surely was healed as He felt power go away from Him. Saving benefits of the crucifixion are reserved for those whom it was intended.
Remember, in Luke 19:10, it says that Christ came to save that which was lost. This corresponds nicely to the lost sheep that Christ goes to save in John 6:37-40. If Christ’s mission was to save that which was lost, and if He does not save that which was lost, is that a success or failure? How can our savior fail? Surely He could have come up with a nobler, more successful salvation plan than this one that seems to not be bringing in the majority of people around the world. As our Savior and God cannot fail in a miracle, in His creation, in upholding the world by His Word, so too He cannot fail in His mission to save. This is how He can honestly say “I will lose none”. So, who are the lost? The only thing that this points to, is that there are lost sheep, and lost “others”. How can we know this?
John 10:25 and following:
26 But you don’t believe Me because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from Me, 29 for my Father has given them to me, and He is more powerful than anyone else.[d] No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. 30 The Father and I are one.”
If one does not believe, and dies not believing, what they will then be aware of is that they are not one of Christ’s sheep. And, as Christ came to save His sheep, there will be some that He did not come to save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back