The Revised Version of the Holy Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

The RV is not a common Bible Version we use today. Why do you think it became less popular over time? What are your thoughts on the Revised Version of the Bible? (RV1885). Is there any translation issues with the RV that concerns you? Can anyone tell me of well known Christians from the past who used the RV? I know Spurgeon once read from the RV from the Pulpit, but only on a few occasions.

From what I understand, it was never very popular with the general public to begin with, and probably less so than the American Standard Version which soon followed, and which contained revisions suggested by the American members of the committee, which is generally considered to have been an improvement on the RV, if I'm not mistaken, and which also never really caught on outside of the academy. I recently watched a video in which Prof. Dan Wallace discusses Bible versions. He said that the RV was very literalistic and that was one reason why it failed to catch on. Spurgeon said it was good Greek but poor English. I've seen Lloyd-Jones refer to it here as well.

Those who favor the views on textual criticism that largely prevail today will see the RV as the first step in a line of translations that brings us down to the present day with the ESV and the NASB. (AV-->RV-->ASV-->RSV--ESV. AV-->RV-->ASV-->NASB.) Those who favor the Textus Receptus, the Majority Text, Byzantine Priority and/or the Ecclesiastical Text will see the RV as the first step toward a misguided (at best) or apostate (at worst) series of revisions and new translations that are based on the critical text.

I've appreciated having the RV included in the margins of my KJV as found in the edition below.

(This is from a post I made in a separate thread back in 2019.)

Holy Bible Two-Version Edition by Crimond House. This might be the very first parallel/amplified version ever printed. There is a Jongbloed printed version that is still available at Ards Evangelical Bookshop in Northern Ireland. The text block has the KJV in double-column with differences found in the R.V. in the margins. This Bible is one of my favorites due to its uniqueness, the quality of the materials used at an amazing price, and for the fun of studying translation and language use issues. Highly recommend picking one up while they are available. A 2012 review from Mark Bertrand is available here.

---

As an update to the above I've since learned Cambridge produced a KJV/RV Interlinear Bible as well, though it is MUCH more expensive and I personally find the layout to be too busy and distracting.

As to the questions posed in the OP, I am unaware of any other well known Christians from the past who used the RV and I would venture a guess that it has lost popularity (if it ever was popular to begin with) due to the continued release of new translations as laid out by @Pilgrim.

I've appreciated having the RV included in the margins of my KJV as found in the edition below.

(This is from a post I made in a separate thread back in 2019.)

Holy Bible Two-Version Edition by Crimond House. This might be the very first parallel/amplified version ever printed. There is a Jongbloed printed version that is still available at Ards Evangelical Bookshop in Northern Ireland. The text block has the KJV in double-column with differences found in the R.V. in the margins. This Bible is one of my favorites due to its uniqueness, the quality of the materials used at an amazing price, and for the fun of studying translation and language use issues. Highly recommend picking one up while they are available. A 2012 review from Mark Bertrand is available here.

---

As an update to the above I've since learned Cambridge produced a KJV/RV Interlinear Bible as well, though it is MUCH more expensive and I personally find the layout to be too busy and distracting.

As to the questions posed in the OP, I am unaware of any other well known Christians from the past who used the RV and I would venture a guess that it has lost popularity (if it ever was popular to begin with) due to the continued release of new translations as laid out by @Pilgrim.
I have a copy of the Cambridge KJV/RV interlinear. It is indeed 'busy' in terms of layout. Take getting used to. I don't consult it that much anymore, but when I first got it I found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back