The Single Best Resource For Working Through Scripture In Family Worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Greetings,

May I please have your opinion on what is the single best resource for helping a family work through the Scriptures together in family worship?

I have used Books such as Matthew Henry's Commentary, Ryle's Expository Thoughts on the Gospels, and Joel Beeke's Family Worship Bible Guide; but have found them either too lengthy and difficult to understand in a family setting (Henry), or so focused on practical application that the meaning of the text is not explained enough, leaving many questions unanswered (Beeke).

I understand that family worship does not need to be a verse-by-verse exposition of Scripture, but my wife and I would greatly benefit from something that can help us in that area.

Would a study Bible suffice? Which one?

A certain commentary geared toward family worship?

Swear by Matthew Henry?

*Note, a Confession or a catechism are not what I have in mind, for I want to work through a book of Scripture from beginning to end.

Thank you brethren.

I've been waiting, hoping someone chimes in to mention a resource I don't know exists. But I doubt that will happen.

There is a need for a resource that's a companion to family Bible reading. In my vision, it should take a family through a book of the Bible, offering short, simple-to-read commentary that doesn't take over from the Bible passage itself. Yet it must be meaty enough to address common questions, explain the context of the passage, and leave a thought or two to chew on. It could offer a few discussion questions that are simultaneously simple enough for children to answer and thought-provoking enough to keep adults interested as well (no easy task, to write such questions). It might even suggest a matter to pray about or an appropriate psalm or hymn. All this in fewer words than the Bible passage itself, so that reading through the Bible remains central.

I don't think such a resource exists. Everything I know of fails to meet this vision in some way. Joel Beeke's Family Worship Bible Guide, which you mentioned, comes closest. But it is thinner in content than what I have in mind and is not terribly kid-friendly.

For about 15 years, I have tinkered with the idea of writing such a resource myself. But it is a daunting and perhaps presumptuous project to tackle, especially solo, and when I've mentioned it to publishers the response has not been enthusiastic.

I've been waiting, hoping someone chimes in to mention a resource I don't know exists. But I doubt that will happen.

There is a need for a resource that's a companion to family Bible reading. In my vision, it should take a family through a book of the Bible, offering short, simple-to-read commentary that doesn't take over from the Bible passage itself. Yet it must be meaty enough to address common questions, explain the context of the passage, and leave a thought or two to chew on. It could offer a few discussion questions that are simultaneously simple enough for children to answer and thought-provoking enough to keep adults interested as well (no easy task, to write such questions). It might even suggest a matter to pray about or an appropriate psalm or hymn. All this in fewer words than the Bible passage itself, so that reading through the Bible remains central.

I don't think such a resource exists. Everything I know of fails to meet this vision in some way. Joel Beeke's Family Worship Bible Guide, which you mentioned, comes closest. But it is thinner in content than what I have in mind and is not terribly kid-friendly.

For about 15 years, I have tinkered with the idea of writing such a resource myself. But it is a daunting and perhaps presumptuous project to tackle, especially solo, and when I've mentioned it to publishers the response has not been enthusiastic.
So I am not the only one looking for such a thing. Your description of this yet-to-be-made book sounds very good. Indeed, it would be a large task to make and publish such a thing.

Jack, can you recommend other resources at this point. My kids are only one, so it's just for my wife and I currently.

The Reformation Heritage Study Bible has great questions/applications at the end of each chapter of the Bible. It looks to me like the perfect resource for what you are looking for.

The Reformation Heritage Study Bible has great questions/applications at the end of each chapter of the Bible. It looks to me like the perfect resource for what you are looking for.

Excellent resource. As mentioned above, RHB has published the family worship guidelines separately as well if one isn't interested in a study bible.

Those questions were made into the aforementioned Family Worship Bible Guide. The questions and commentary are good, but they still leave many questions unanswered. They can be used fruitfully, but I'm looking something that teaches more in-depth.

Well, there's always Promise and Deliverance, by De Graaf, a four-volume relatively simple resource that is more meaty, but still geared at a level that youngsters can understand. Might be just what you're looking for. I haven't used Nancy Ganz's children's commentaries, but I have heard good things about them, as well.

When I want a verse-by-verse rolling commentary and don't know where else to turn, the first place I usually go is to Calvin. He is often excellent when I have a question about a particular verse, or when I can't really see why that verse is included in Scripture at all. Reading everything he says is probably more than you want, though, if you're trying to make your way through Scripture at a fast clip of, say, a chapter at a time. And good luck trying to find kid-friendly translations, which you'll want a few years from now.

As for study Bibles, I find the Zondervan notes (first prepared for the NIV Study Bible) most helpful for answering questions that come up, because they have something brief and explanatory to say about most verses. We keep a copy nearby during our family Bible reading specifically for that purpose. It isn't my favorite study Bible overall, but it's good for addressing common questions. It also uses relatively simple language.

Nancy Ganz's children's commentaries

Overall, I like them. She seems sound theologically and sensible about each passage's place within the Bible's larger message, and the books are easy enough for kids. These are full commentaries, though, so there's significant material to read. If she has a weakness, it is that rather than commenting or providing background she sometimes tends instead to summarize the Bible passage, adding her own details and flourishes to the Bible account, especially in narrative passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back