This is the Deathday of Augustine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Puritan Board Freshman
The great African , the celebrated Doctor of Grace , died this day , August (how fitting) 28, 430 . Thanks to the prayers of his faithful mother and the penetrating preaching of Bishop Ambrose he became a Christian after years of delving in foreign philosophies and sin . The famous Bishop of Hippo has been claimed by both Roman Catholics and Protestants . His later teachings on the doctrine(s) of grace are eagerly embraced among the Calvinistically inclined , but his teachings on the nature of the Church are owned by the R. C's .
I have read his "Confessions" several times . But his monumental work : " The City of God " is something I have not waded through yet . I have read popular treatments of the same by those such as James Boice .
At any rate the Church is in debt to Augustine---what the Lord did through his instrumentality . Salute .

Outside of Jesus Christ being my hero Augustine is up there !!! His confessions rocks:)

Isnt really more of a spiritual birthday since he is with the Lord:)

blade

Augustine's Baptism

This is from Faith Cook's book : " Singing in the Fire " . She wrote a chapter about Monica , Augustine's prayerful mother who beseeched the Lord for years for the conversion of her son .

" Speedily Augustine and his friend , Alypius , also converted on that same day , went to share the news with Monica , whose joys were the greater because of the depths of anxiety she had known and the intensity of her prolonged intercession . Before long Augustine and Alypius were baptized , together with Adeodatus , Augustine's son , now fifteen years of age , whom Augustine describes as a ' contemporary in grace ' . "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back