Thomas Watson - Miscellaneous

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeD

Puritan Board Freshman
If God should show mercy to such only as are worhty, he would show none at all. God's mercy is free. To set up merit is to destroy mercy. Nothing can deserve mercy, because we are polluted in our blood; nor force it. We may force God to punish us, but not to love us. "I will love them freely." Hosea 14:4

Every link in the chain of salvation is wrought and interwoven with free grace.

Election is free. "He hath chosen us in Him, according to the good pleasure of His will." Ephesians 1:4

Justification is free. " Being justified freely by His grace." Romans 3:24

Salvation is free. "According to His mercy He saved us." Titus 3:5

Say not then, "I am unworthy"; for mercy is free.

- Thomas Watson

-----Added 10/12/2009 at 11:02:37 EST-----

"Without holiness no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The Word is a glass to show us our spots, and Christ's blood is a fountain to wash them away.

Pray for a holy heart. "Create in me a clean heart, O God."

Lay your heart before the Lord and say, "Lord, my heart is full of leprosy; it defiles all it touches; I am not fit to live with such a heart, for I cannot honor You; nor die with such a heart, for I cannot see You. Oh create in me a clean heart; send Your Spirit into me, to refine and purify me, that I may be a temple fir for You, the Holy God, to inhabit."

- Thomas Watson

-----Added 10/12/2009 at 11:03:08 EST-----

Psalm 16:8 "I have set the LORD always before me." - We ought to live as if always in full view. - Seneca & The consideration of God's omnipotence would be preventive of much sin. - Thomas Watson

-----Added 10/12/2009 at 11:03:48 EST-----

True holy water is not that which the pope sprinkles, but is distilled from the penitent eye.

- Thomas Watson

Love Thomas Watson. He has so many quotable quotes that any book I have of his is heavily underlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back