Thoughts On "Bad" Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Graduate
I don't use controversial language, but here's what I've been thinking about. Let me know if you agree or where you think I'm off.

1. Some words are completely off limits for a Christian, like certain sexual parts and acts described in vulgar words.
2. For a lot of rough words, it's not the words in themselves that are bad, but how they are used. Someone saying there is a pile of sh** on the floor is different than calling someone a piece of sh**.

It seems to me that a Christian can use certain words that one would consider rough or profane, in a non sinful way, that can actually add humor to a situation. To me it is just naturally more funny to hear somebody say "he pis*** on the floor" rather than "he peed on the floor."

Like I said, I don't talk this way, but I have a Christian friend who does from time to time, and I don't have a problem with it. Any thoughts?
 
Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4, ESV)

I would say that while there is some flexibility in terms of Christian liberty, this passage, for me, narrows down my language choices quite a bit. Culturally would the words you're pondering fall under language that is crude, foolish or filthy? Is it language you'd use in the presence of a King or Head of State? We are called to be holy in all our conduct, and that holiness is a reflection of God's. I think when a person considers these few things seriously a lot of commonly accepted language gets left behind.
 
Hi Ryan,

Sounds like you're on the right track. What we definitely must watch out for, as the the Larger Catechism Q113 asks:

Q. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?​

A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God's name as is required;[1] and the abuse of it in an ignorant,[2] vain,[3] irreverent, profane,[4] superstitious,[5] or wicked mentioning, or otherwise using his titles, attributes,[6] ordinances,[7] or works,[8] by blasphemy,[9] perjury;[10] all sinful cursings,[11] oaths,[12] vows,[13] and lots;[14] violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful;[15] and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful;[16] murmuring and quarreling at,[17] curious prying into,[18] and misapplying of God's decrees [19] and providences;[20] misinterpreting,[21] misapplying,[22] or any way perverting the word, or any part of it,[23] to profane jests,[24] curious or unprofitable Questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines;[25] abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms,[26] or sinful lusts and practices;[27] the maligning,[28] scorning,[29] reviling,[30] or any wise opposing of God's truth, grace, and ways;[31] making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends;[32] being ashamed of it,[33] or a shame to it, by unconformable,[34] unwise,[35] unfruitful,[36] and offensive walking,[37] or backsliding from it.[38]​

Sorry but there's about 50 verses used to support the above and I just wasn't going to input every one of them. I guess we'll have to trust the Westminster divines.
 
God has chosen to reveal himself most and best by means of words. God's word places a premium on self-control of the tongue, see James 3. Many places in the NT exhort Christians to careful speech, marked by avoidance of coarse, profane, and unedifying language, Col.3:8, Eph.4:29; 5:4. Thus, it may be said: they will know we are Christans by our lip-manners.

Encourage your children to act, but also speak like true Christans should. You will fail in this effort (humanly speaking) more than you might have, if you are not strict with yourself. If you indulge in a "special emphasis" occasion, or justify a "humorous" moment of vulgarity, such a pattern does teach others perhaps more than one imagined it would.

The Bible's prophetic employment of "strong" and even shocking descriptions or terms, is not an endorsement of the Christian's general allowance--not when on balance the plain instruction we have is pretty one-sided. I strongly caution you against what seems to me (based on sad experience) the weakening of verbal bulwark resistant to every abuse of the tongue, by carving out exemptions.
 
I don't use controversial language, but here's what I've been thinking about. Let me know if you agree or where you think I'm off.

1. Some words are completely off limits for a Christian, like certain sexual parts and acts described in vulgar words.
2. For a lot of rough words, it's not the words in themselves that are bad, but how they are used. Someone saying there is a pile of sh** on the floor is different than calling someone a piece of sh**.

It seems to me that a Christian can use certain words that one would consider rough or profane, in a non sinful way, that can actually add humor to a situation. To me it is just naturally more funny to hear somebody say "he pis*** on the floor" rather than "he peed on the floor."

Like I said, I don't talk this way, but I have a Christian friend who does from time to time, and I don't have a problem with it. Any thoughts?

I'm actually going through the Heidelberg Catechism right now on taking God's Name in vain, which in an Army town like ours where certain language has become normalized, requires me to address not only Third Commandment violations but also what God's Word describes as "filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking."

Just last week, Facebook flagged and auto-hid as profanity a comment on one of my news articles that used the fecal vulgarity you mentioned in #2. I messaged the person privately, said that Facebook flagged his comment, and said that if he edited the comment I would unhide it. He went back, said, "I don't see any profanity there" -- again AFTER READING IT and having it called to his attention, and I told him that he doesn't need to be using the S-word in public comments on a news article.

He honestly didn't see the problem but did what I told him.

There's something wrong when the language used by professing Christians who don't see anything wrong with it gets flagged by a secular company like Facebook as bad, and to be hidden so people won't see it who don't want to see it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zuckerberg uses that kind of language and worse in private conversation (I don't know, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised) but even a secular company knows it doesn't belong in public.

Is it too much to ask that secular companies not be given the opportunity to "ding" Christians for using profanity and vulgarity?
 
I will have to remember that one. Very good!

Italians are known for having a way with words! Our own language, an heir of Latin, is beautiful and poetic and very good at telling stories and making rhymed metaphors. Of course it typically takes a generation or two for Italian immigrants to acquire fluency in their adopted languages in other countries, but the concept of using language as a persuasive art form applies. An obvious American example would be New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, who knew more languages than any figure I can name in modern American politics, and was an expert and writing, speaking and persuading people in most of them, often quite well and using a level of fluency that was at near-native proficiency.

A little side point: Ask why numerous Italian leaders, most recently Prime Minister Georgia Meloni and not that many years ago Silvio Berlusconi, were journalists. Even Mussolini, who I certainly would not want to claim, fell into that category.

When words are viewed by a culture as power, it means people who work with words for a living acquire power.

And yes, you can draw the parallel to my work and you would not be wrong. Theologically and politically, I am a creature of American evangelicalism who became Reformed early on. I wouldn't fit well into Italy for those reasons. But seeing journalism as a career path to change culture and fix its problems is far more Italian than it is American, apart from a few periods such as the "muckraker" era of media exposing extreme corruption in America of their day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top