Thoughts on the PRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodcheer68

Puritan Board Sophomore
Moderators can you change the title to read Thoughts on the PRC?

I’m looking for any thoughts on the PRC denomination. I’m not really familiar with it. I’m up in the Coeur dAlene ID area and am looking for churches. We have been attending the OPC here for the last couple of weeks but want to look at other options. The only other option seems to be the PCA in Spokane.

Preface with this: I like a lot of their material and Engelsma has some good stuff against Kuyper.

Distinctives:
1) No divorce ever.
2) No covenant of works.

Though monocovenantalists, they are ardently against anything that introduces conditions i.e. Federal Vision, New Perspective, etc.

Always distinguish between the Protestant Reformed Church and the Presbyterian Reformed Church. The Presbyterian RC is a 1647 WCF denomination.

There is also Trinity Church in Coeur d'Alene that subscribes to the WCF and ecumenical creeds. It is in the CREC, so some may have a problem with that. Perhaps visit and find out what they believe.

Note: nowhere in Trinity Church's exceptions to the WCF do they state they believe in paedocommunion.

There was a thread on this topic about a year ago, though I am struggling to find it just now.

I have many friends in the PRCA, I attend some of their gatherings, and I agree with some of their views. Given the seriousness of their divergence from the doctrine of the Westminster Standards and Reformed orthodoxy more generally, I would not recommend attending one of their congregations if there is another Reformed church within driving distance.

Always distinguish between the Protestant Reformed Church and the Presbyterian Reformed Church. The Presbyterian RC is a 1647 WCF denomination.

There is also Trinity Church in Coeur d'Alene that subscribes to the WCF and ecumenical creeds. It is in the CREC, so some may have a problem with that. Perhaps visit and find out what they believe.

I’m definitely staying away from the CREC but thanks.

Between Protestant Reformed and CREC, I would pick Protestant Reformed. I listened to a sermon from Rodney Kleyn (their pastor in Spokane) once which seemed solid. However, the OPC is right in town and seems like the better option.

Between Protestant Reformed and CREC, I would pick Protestant Reformed. I listened to a sermon from Rodney Kleyn (their pastor in Spokane) once which seemed solid. However, the OPC is right in town and seems like the better option.
I would probably pick a Protestant Reformed over a paedocommunion CREC, but this particular congregation affirms the WCF view of the Lord's Supper.

As to Mr. Brink, if there is an OPC nearby it seems that would be a good choice.

I’ve been going to the OPC but so far right theology and liturgy doesnt always add up to graciousness and hospitality in living which I think are just as important.

I’ve been going to the OPC but so far right theology and liturgy doesnt always add up to graciousness and hospitality in living which I think are just as important.
I am sad to hear that. I will pray you find the right church for you, and I will pray for the OPC as well.

From someone who has lived in locations where the church my family attended was not our first choice (it was literally our only choice), I highly recommend sticking it out. Maybe you can model these behaviors you find wanting within the congregation and contribute in that way?

I am sorry to hear this. I have the complete opposite experience with the OPC. I had been attending broadly evangelical churches most of my life and finally hit the point where I needed to start being feed and growing in Christ. I had also found my way into the reformed tradition (still a baby in that though) These forums suggested an OPC. I have gone twice now, but have already met most of the congregation and this last Sunday the associate pastor invited basically anyone that wanted to go to his house. He provided the food and we spoke theology the entire day until evening service.

I am sad to hear that. I will pray you find the right church for you, and I will pray for the OPC as well.
I am sorry to hear this. I have the complete opposite experience with the OPC.
We might end up staying at the OPC, but I do want to check out other options. I’ve been to other OPC churches before and have had good experiences. I don’t want to paint them as bad (in terms of hospitality) because I have only been there a few times but my initial Impression leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Greetings from Spokane.

I know a few people at the PCA church here and if you are looking for a solidly Reformed, confessionally devoted church I think you might be disappointed from what I have gathered.

I have heard Rodney Klein speak once in public and listened to one of his sermons online - I would recommend you listen to quite a few to get a feel for what they are about. We do know one family there so I could get more info if you wanted it.

About a year ago when we were looking for a new church I did some initial investigating of all these churches including your OPC plant. As a Baptist, none were quite the right fit for us. Presbyterians looking for strong, confessionally Reformed churches that are not CREC don't have a lot to choose from in this area.

Interesting that you would say that. I've been in the OPC since 1996 and had only pleasant experiences with most people in the three churches I've been a member of.

Distinctives:
1) No divorce ever.

This is not true. The Protestant Reformed Churches maintain that adultery in a marriage is a biblical ground for divorce. What makes us distinct from other Reformed and Presbyterian churches is our view of remarriage, namely, that it is not permitted, even for the innocent party.

Covenant of Grace PRC in Spokane would be an excellent option; I strongly recommend visiting. Rev. Rodney Kleyn is an outstanding minister. And I am confident that you will be warmly received.

This is not true. The Protestant Reformed Churches maintain that adultery in a marriage is a biblical ground for divorce. What makes us distinct from other Reformed and Presbyterian churches is our view of remarriage, namely, that it is not permitted, even for the innocent party.

Thank you for the clarification. That's better. I still disagree on remarriage, but I acknowledge where I was wrong.

Daniel, I was looking over that thread again and some of your comments there—specifically on the PRC view of remarriage after divorce—and wonder if you are able to refute that teaching, or know of teaching that does? So far the best refutation is Jay E. Adams', Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage in the Bible. Know of any others?

Greetings Steve, William Perkins anticipates many of the objections to the PRCA view of divorce and remarriage in his commentary on the Sermon on the Mount. I will try to publish the relevant extract(s) on my blog in the near future.

For the sake of fairness, I would like to know if there are any readily available resources on the PRCA's position of denying remarriage. Pastor Kortus, any recommendations?

As noted above, I just want to pop in to emphasize that the Protestant Reformed Churches in America (PRCA) under discussion are a distinct and different denomination than the Presbyterian Reformed Church (PRC).

For the sake of fairness, I would like to know if there are any readily available resources on the PRCA's position of denying remarriage. Pastor Kortus, any recommendations?

The sermon that Trent posted and the links that Pastor Rafalsky posted would be great places to start for "readily available resources."

I would also recommend David Engelsma's book: Marriage, the Mystery of Christ and the Church. The second half of the book is devoted to a historical survey of what the church has taught regarding divorce and remarriage through the ages. Engelsma shows the earliest writings after the apostolic age demonstrate that the church taught there were no grounds for remarriage, even of the innocent party. Engelsma also shows that this was true of Augustine as well. The point being: the Protestant Reformed position is in line with the ancient church.

A comment was made earlier that the Protestant Reformed Churches have diverged from Reformed orthodoxy.

I believe that the Reformed confessions are the standard that determines Reformed orthodoxy. Our churches officially subscribe to the Three Forms of Unity: the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dordt. As churches we not only affirm everything taught in the TFU, we also actively teach and defend the truths set forth in the TFU.

Therefore, while acknowledging that we have weaknesses and shortcomings, I believe it is inaccurate and uncharitable to say that we have seriously departed from Reformed orthodoxy.

Last edited:
The PRC has some unique views on the free offer of the gospel. For example, one of their fathers, Herman Hoeksema, said in this sermon that one cannot state the gospel as "If you believe, you will be saved" because the gospel is not conditional. This view strikes me as both unbiblical, in that the bible uses conditional language, and schismatic, in that it represents valid statements of the gospel as false gospels and false teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back