Thoughts on the Resurrection of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedCuban

Puritan Board Freshman
Within the past couple of months, I had some difficult experiences, some of which may well be the Lord's discipline for sin. Some of the most challenging things were the deaths of family members, some of whom were very close to me. That, along with personal sickness, made me dwell on my mortality, as well as the resurrection of my own body unto everlasting life, which was sealed by the resurrection of our Lord. My meditations on Christ's resurrection, as well as reading Calvin on the same matter, led me to write a small devotional, which I hope may encourage a struggling saint. Even though this was written by someone whose work is ever stained with sin, nevertheless, if it strengthens someone's faith, then the end of my devotion would be fulfilled. I hope it blesses the reader, and I wish you all a restful Sabbath tomorrow.

"See now the empty tomb occupied by an innocent Man who was condemned as a criminal! For, although He was under the pains and power of death (Acts 2:24), which wrapped around Him like a cord (Psalm 18:4), yet it could not contain Him (Acts 2:24) because He had already defeated death at the cross, having tasted death for us (Hebrews 9:14), and rendered powerless the one who had the power of death: the devil (Hebrews 2:14, 15). And, demonstrating that He was indeed the Son of God (Romans 1:4) who defeated sin and death, He rose from the dead, showing that He was indeed victorious over death; this was for our sake, that we might be born anew through the hope of the resurrection of Christ (1 Peter 1:3), from which we attain our justification (Romans 4:20). What a fitting name for our Savior Jesus is, for He has indeed saved us from our sins (Matthew 1:21)!

Therefore, sin, you can never succeed in condemning me. Where is your case against me? Where is your sting now, O death? Where is your power over me? It has been destroyed by Him who now rules over you (Rev. 1:18) and will vanquish you at the last day (1 Cor. 15:26; Rev. 20:14).

Take heart, Christian! Having been united to Christ in His death and resurrection, you have life in Christ (Romans 6:4, 5), and he assures you that He will raise you at the last day (John 6:40). This is our hope, dear brothers and sisters, established by the resurrection of our Lord."

Thank you, Bryant. I too am struggling with the death of a loved one, the pain of which seems to never leave my heart. Church is the best rescue for me as for a while I dwell in the house of the Lord and sing praises to him in the company of my brothers and sisters and hear his word and his name honored and blessed. I've also found listening to and singing hymns to be so helpful in lifting my spirit up to him who alone can help me "Help of the helpless, O Abide with me... O thou who changes not, Abide with me".

The closer I walk with the Lord I've found the more the enemy tempts me with temporal thoughts of misery. Sometimes, more often than I wish to admit, I fall into his trap. It is only by his strength that I am able to overcome and see by faith the glory of the Lord. I was talking to a friend earlier today and he said it's a marathon, not a sprint. Do not take your eyes off the one who has redeemed us and brought us salvation. Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding. These momentary afflictions cannot be compared to the glory that awaits.

How I wish I could say that I always walk closely with the Lord and there are not many dark times when I give place to the evil one. But what a glorious savior we have--that nothing can separate us from the love of God, not life or death, angels or rulers, things present or things to come...nothing in all of creation can separate us from the love of God in Jesus our Lord (Rom 8:38-39). When the accuser threatens, I turn my eyes to Jesus and find such peace.

This temporal life is passing quickly away, though it may seem at times to pass very slowly; before long and it will seem as though but a moment has passed, we will dwell at peace in our eternal home and at last be with the one who loves us with the only perfect love and with those who have departed and now rest with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back