Time for My Annual Bible-Reading Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For myself, the appeal is the wide scope of the Scriptures that the Horner plan exposes one to. I struggle more reading 3-4 chapters through the prophets than I do reading 10 chapters across all the bible. It has also helped me to "connect" the Scriptures in ways I never was able to do previously. It's difficult to explain but it keeps me engaged best out of all the bible reading plans I've tried. Yes 10 chapters a day can sound daunting, but I would say I can usually read those 10 chapters in about 45-60 minutes each morning, which really isn't that long of time considering how much time we often spend watching tv or surfing the internet or chatting on PB. I even take the words of Job to heart when he says, "I have esteemed the words of [God's] mouth more than my necessary food (Job 23:12). Feeding upon the Scriptures should take priority in our lives even over eating physical food. Practically skip breakfast and read your bible or use your lunch break at work to read. Lastly the emphasis with the Horner plan is quantity over quality. By no means am I saying that one should read the Holy words of God dismissively or without proper attention, but I do think the Horner plan isn't the plan if you want to look up all the cross-references and read commentaries along with it.

Here are Horner's own "Secrets to Success" (and I can personally attest to these tips as helpful):
• Read one chapter from each list each day; in one sitting or two. At the end of a book; go to the next book. At the end of the list; start it again. Do it in the order given above.
• Read quickly (without “speed-reading”) in order to get the overall sense. Read as fast as you comfortably can with moderate retention. You’re not studying deeply or memorizing; shoot for 5-6 minutes per chapter. At the end of a chapter, move immediately to the next list.
• GET THROUGH THE TEXT – no dawdling, back reading, looking up cross-references!
• There are different ‘kinds’ of reading: super-quick skimming, careful moderate-paced, studying the text, deep meditation. You should be between the first and second kind.
• Most people decrease their time spent and increase their retention after just two-three weeks! I now read and retain the entire text of Ma hew in 35 minutes, Romans in 20, Genesis in one hour!
• Don’t look up anything you ‘don’t get’ – real understanding will come through contextualizing by reading a LOT of scripture over time. Get through the text!
• If you miss a day or two – ok, get over it, then keep going. Don’t cover yourself in sackcloth and ashes and quit! Move the bookmarks along, to find your place(s) quickly next day.
• If you are wondering why you should read Acts (or Proverbs) all the way through every single month, then -- you've just shown that you NEED to read them that often!
• The goal of this system is simple, and twofold: To know scripture, and to love and obey God more!
SOLI DEO GLORIA
I appreciate the thoughts! For me the biggest challenge is not the total time, but how hard it can feel to remember what I’m reading since it is in so many different places. I may give it a try again in the future and see if that doesn’t improve over time.
 
If you are wondering why you should read Acts (or Proverbs) all the way through every single month, then -- you've just shown that you NEED to read them that often!
I’m curious if you (or anyone else) has adjusted this plan in any way, such as combining Acts with another group.
 
I’m curious if you (or anyone else) has adjusted this plan in any way, such as combining Acts with another group.
Yes I did modify. I mostly changed to follow more of the Hebrew structure. Btw, Ruth should be with list 9, disregard it in list 4.
 

Attachments

  • modified horner.jpeg
    modified horner.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I had started the M'Cheyne in 2024 when I saw a review of the Chronological Bible. Rather than switching ponies midstream, I continued with M'Cheyne but will start the Chronological in January. Can't say I did 100 percent of the readings in 2024, but was pretty steady.

What Chronological Bible plan are you speaking about? The plan I'm thinking of has the Gospel of John's first few verses at the very beginning of the chronology. I know John is speaking about creation, but that line of thinking is pretty weird.

Thanks,
Ed
 
Yes I did modify. I mostly changed to follow more of the Hebrew structure.
Thank you for this. Do you find list 8 to be too long, with the 3 large prophetic books in there? As I was looking to adjust, I didn’t quite know what to do with that.

IMG_5811.png

Here’s what I ended up with. I may have prioritized Romans, Hebrews, and Galatians too much, if that’s possible. Any suggestions? I may just scrap it and go with yours - it looks pretty good, though it is a different approach.
 
Thank you for this. Do you find list 8 to be too long, with the 3 large prophetic books in there? As I was looking to adjust, I didn’t quite know what to do with that.

Here’s what I ended up with. I may have prioritized Romans, Hebrews, and Galatians too much, if that’s possible. Any suggestions? I may just scrap it and go with yours - it looks pretty good, though it is a different approach.
I think it depends on your reading goal. If the goal is simply to read as much of every book as possible, then yes I understand what you're attempting and why you'd want to break up the prophets. Read this if you haven't already.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I think it depends on your reading goal. If the goal is simply to read as much of every book as possible, then yes I understand what you're attempting and why you'd want to break up the prophets. Read this if you haven't already.
The link did not work for me
 
What Chronological Bible plan are you speaking about? The plan I'm thinking of has the Gospel of John's first few verses at the very beginning of the chronology. I know John is speaking about creation, but that line of thinking is pretty weird.

Thanks,
Ed
ESV Chronological Bible edited by Andrew E. Steinmann. The "editing" comes from arranging books in time order including the related writings and prophetic literature. I had already been interested but was uncertain because I couldn't see it before ordering. A Facebook review by @Hamalas convinced me.
 
I have a somewhat simple plan. Bible broken up into 60, equal part - 60 minute readings (as I use audio + print.) If I do an hour a day, that is 6 times a year. So simple, yet, it is a heart issue for me. This last year I really neglected it. I have about 15 sections left to go through, but again, it has been a heart and priority issue, not a time one. This next year, I want to focus on that 60 minutes being mando, and everything else coming second. There is no excuse, at least in my eyes, not to get it done. God has given us 16 waking hours. I personally feel that if I cant give him at least 1, there is something terribly wrong with my priorities. Especially coming from someone who doesnt have familial constraints.
 
I have a somewhat simple plan. Bible broken up into 60, equal part - 60 minute readings (as I use audio + print.) If I do an hour a day, that is 6 times a year. So simple, yet, it really is a heart issue. This last year I really neglected it. I have about 15 sections left to go through, but again, it has been a heart and priority issue, not a time one. This next year, I want to focus on that 60 minutes being mando, and everything else coming second. There is no excuse, at least in my eyes, not to get it done. God has given us 16 waking hours. I personally feel that if I cant give him at least 1, there is something terribly wrong with my priorities.
I've seen you write about this on here before. Have you shared this plan anywhere?
 
I've seen you write about this on here before. Have you shared this plan anywhere?
No, I dont think I have, so I will briefly here.

1. For my devotional reading I use a Super Giant Print NKJV. I took that NKJV (after purchasing several copies) and split it up into 60 equal parts by page count.

2. Then I purchased a NKJV non-dramatized Audio-Bible.

3. Using Audacity, I created audio files that correlate with the Print Book sections. Then, using the speed and pitch functions, I sped up the pace where those sections didnt fall into 60 minutes, to 60 minutes, then used the pitch function to make it sound normal. None of the tracks, even if sped up, go past a normal reading speed.

4. This then allows the Bible to be broken up into 60 sections of an hour or less. Doing one section allows 6 times a year cover to cover, doing half a section (30 min.) allows 3 times a year cover to cover.

The reason I started doing this is I would find myself having trouble focusing after about 10-15 minutes, and having the audio helps me keep on track and engaged.

While I have far from kept perfect with this method, I went from having only gone through my Bible once cover to cover, to about 10 times in the past 5 years. But like so many things that seem easy on paper; the difference from its potential and the reality, is following through. I really want to spend this next year getting on track. Because I would love to look back in 20 years, if the Lord allows, and have been through my Bible 100 times by just staying faithful to this simple act.

The goal of this isnt to be able to say "look, I read it so many times," but instead, its so I can hopefully one day have that word within me in such a way that I can mediate and ponder on long parts of scripture without the need for aids, tools, or even the book in front of me. If I want to go into deeper study on individual parts, I have the rest of the day to do that.
 
Last edited:
2025 Four Month Bible Reading Plan for any interested.

1. Has an OT, Psalm, and NT selection each day.
2. I have attached a PDF for those who do not use Logos (Logos now requiring the creation of an account (free) to access the document) and also some images if any doesn't want the PDF.
3. If you have a Logos account, the link will take you to the Reading Plan Document.

https://flshare.net/f84rs5
Bible1.png Bible2.png Bible3.png
 

Attachments

2025 Four Month Bible Reading Plan for any interested.

1. Has an OT, Psalm, and NT selection each day.
2. I have attached a PDF for those who do not use Logos (Logos now requiring the creation of an account (free) to access the document) and also some images if any doesn't want the PDF.
3. If you have a Logos account, the link will take you to the Reading Plan Document.

https://flshare.net/f84rs5
View attachment 11653View attachment 11652View attachment 11651
This one looks nice! Thanks for sharing.
 
But, what can I gain with a reading plan, why should I use it? What are its benefits?

Thank you so much brother.
Oh, you mean having a plan in itself. Like "So many chapters a day" as opposed to just reading through at one's own pace?
 
Oh, you mean having a plan in itself. Like "So many chapters a day" as opposed to just reading through at one's own pace?
I mean reading parts of the Bible instead or reading book by book.

I understand a reading plan is organized with portions of different sections of the Bible (some chapters in OT plus some in NT). My question is how this kind of reading plans can be useful?
 
I mean reading parts of the Bible instead or reading book by book.

I understand a reading plan is organized with portions of different sections of the Bible (some chapters in OT plus some in NT). My question is how this kind of reading plans can be useful?
Most plans are not cherry picking portions of Scripture, they still take you through the entirety of the Bible. Sometimes it’s nice to change it up and be able to read from both the OT and NT every day. Some people get bogged down in Leviticus or other books, but it is nice when it’s paired with a reading from the gospels or something else. Everyone should probably read cover to cover at least once, but I generally prefer to use a plan that has me reading in a few different places every day.

I mean reading parts of the Bible instead or reading book by book.

I understand a reading plan is organized with portions of different sections of the Bible (some chapters in OT plus some in NT). My question is how this kind of reading plans can be useful?
One thing that Horner talks about in the preface to his reading plan, which has been mentioned a few times in this thread, is that reading in multiple places every day will help reveal the profound interconnectedness of the Scriptures.
 
I mean reading parts of the Bible instead or reading book by book.

I understand a reading plan is organized with portions of different sections of the Bible (some chapters in OT plus some in NT). My question is how this kind of reading plans can be useful?
I suppose it’s subjective. Either way, I still go though book by book, but in multiple sections. I find it “useful” because I will often make connections between the Old Testament, the Psalter, and the New Testament. For example, I may read Genesis in the morning. A Psalm at lunch. And Matthew in the evening. I read through each of the books, and then move on to the next.
 
While there is a lot of discussion about different plans and possibly mixing it up every so often, what do people think about changing translations for devotional reading? Do you stick with the same each year or change occasionally?

I personally find it helpful reading from different translations, even just for keeping familiar passages fresh as I come back to them.
 
While there is a lot of discussion about different plans and possibly mixing it up every so often, what do people think about changing translations for devotional reading? Do you stick with the same each year or change occasionally?

I personally find it helpful reading from different translations, even just for keeping familiar passages fresh as I come back to them.
I tend to do most all my reading in the KJV. However, I have read through the Bible in ESV, NIV, and NASB. I was reading through the Bible in the CSB, but then I got sidetracked and switched to something else. If you do the Bible in 90 days, you can read four translations in a year. Something to consider...
 
I tend to do most all my reading in the KJV. However, I have read through the Bible in ESV, NIV, and NASB. I was reading through the Bible in the CSB, but then I got sidetracked and switched to something else. If you do the Bible in 90 days, you can read four translations in a year. Something to consider...
Part of me likes the sound of that. My only concern is what I'd be taking away from my devotional time if I tried to read that much each day. Although maybe if its all from the same book, it might be easier.

Have you uses that reading plan? If so, any tips on how to make the most out of it and not simply end up reading for the sake of it?
 
While there is a lot of discussion about different plans and possibly mixing it up every so often, what do people think about changing translations for devotional reading? Do you stick with the same each year or change occasionally?

I personally find it helpful reading from different translations, even just for keeping familiar passages fresh as I come back to them.
I prefer to stick with one translation for my devotional reading, though I did experiment a little this last year. I find it more helpful to be deeply familiar with one translation and then use others to cross-reference when studying a particular passage.
 
Every year I read the OT once, and the Psalms and NT twice because I use M'Cheyne. Every year, when Richard brings this up, I consider a different plan, but I cannot find one that is put together with such a pastor's heart.
The M'Cheyne Bible in a year is pretty good there are many online resources to follow and have accountability along the way.
 
Part of me likes the sound of that. My only concern is what I'd be taking away from my devotional time if I tried to read that much each day. Although maybe if its all from the same book, it might be easier.

Have you uses that reading plan? If so, any tips on how to make the most out of it and not simply end up reading for the sake of it?
I've listened through it. If you listen to an audio Bible at 2x speed, it takes no longer than 30-35 minutes to get through the reading each day. If you follow along while it reads to you, retention rates tend to be higher. Ponder and pray once you're finished with the chapters for the day. That's perhaps one hour of your time in total. Also, the devotion of the heart is not measure by time but by sincerity, which we continually pray for.
 
While there is a lot of discussion about different plans and possibly mixing it up every so often, what do people think about changing translations for devotional reading? Do you stick with the same each year or change occasionally?

I personally find it helpful reading from different translations, even just for keeping familiar passages fresh as I come back to them.
For private study, I like the KJV, but for devotional reading I prefer the KJV. The KJV is a favorite of mine, and I also really like the KJV, not to mention my use of the KJV and the KJV.

(you did this)
 
I've listened through it. If you listen to an audio Bible at 2x speed, it takes no longer than 30-35 minutes to get through the reading each day. If you follow along while it reads to you, retention rates tend to be higher. Ponder and pray once you're finished with the chapters for the day. That's perhaps one hour of your time in total. Also, the devotion of the heart is not measure by time but by sincerity, which we continually pray for.
Thanks, that's a good idea about using my physical bible along with an audio bible. I thought I knew what I was going to do this in coming year and now, I'm not so sure
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top