Tithing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is very sad. Every time I hear about this subject, I see where Christians have been improperly taught by men who do not understand that we are no longer under the law.

After having read all the posts in this thread, do you really believe that is what is being taught? Who here is teaching that tithing is a legal requirement? Could you please interact with specific posts instead of making broad brush accusations?

Is very sad. Every time I hear about this subject, I see where Christians have been improperly taught by men who do not understand that we are no longer under the law.

After having read all the posts in this thread, do you really believe that is what is being taught? Who here is teaching that tithing is a legal requirement? Could you please interact with specific posts instead of making broad brush accusations?

KMK:

Anyone who advocates a tithe is advocating that God's law requires a 10th of their increase.

A tithe is not a free will offering, it is a mandated requirement on Israel in order to support the Levitical Priests. And the tithe was to come from the land. Remember, the Levites did not receive an inheritance, they were made Holy to the Lord, and the Lord instituded the tithe and gave it to them as their portion.

We do not have a Levitical Priesthood anymore. We are all Priests. Therefor anyone that advocates a tithe is in essence bringing the believer back under the Law.

Now if you want to advocate that believers are to give generously, and supporting your local church is a good start to give generously so that the Gospel might go out, I'm all for that. But I would also say, do not forget the poor in your giving. Also, I am a firm believer that you give to actual needs.

Anyone who advocates a tithe is advocating that God's law requires a 10th of their increase.

This simply isn't true. That is like saying anyone who advocates recycling is advocating God's law 'requires' it.

I see a great deal of wisdom in the tithing to gospel ministry, just as I see wisdom in eating shellfish in moderation. Aren't we allowed to glean 'general equity' from OT law without making it a 'requirement'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back