Top 5 Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Hey folks,

I'm looking for some recommendations on what to read next and I'm adding titles to my cart now. What are the top 5 books every Reformed Christian should read? I'm looking for books released in the last 15 or 20 years.

Thanks in advance.

jm

Muller, Richard. Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms. Most important book on my shelf. I read it devotionally.

I'll add others when they come to mind.

That criteria just won't do. Change "years" to "centuries" and then we can talk.
No thanks brother 90% of my book collection are reprints. I was advised by a good brother, who is also a pastor, to expand from historic theology to modern Reformed authors.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I haven’t finished it yet, but None Greater by Matthew Barrett has been a great read so far.

I'm looking for books released in the last 15 or 20 years.

I think you will find "Covenant Theology, A Reformed and Baptistic Perspective on God's Covenants" by Greg Nichols a good selection. I have the out of print hardcover, but the paperback published by Solid Ground Christian Books is still in print.

I think you will find "Covenant Theology, A Reformed and Baptistic Perspective on God's Covenants" by Greg Nichols a good selection. I have the out of print hardcover, but the paperback published by Solid Ground Christian Books is still in print.
I've wonder about that one. I have the Coxe/Owen work on 1689 Federalism.

Since you're looking for contemporary books, there's likely to be many that are little more than noise, or some that have a temporary value but little staying power (this was also a problem in the past, but many of those books have been largely washed away by the tide of time). Academic engagement with historical theology has obviously improved, and there have been some helpful entries on the practical and pastoral theology sides. Here are a few that I think stand out and will maybe still be read in a further 20 or 30 years.

Sinclair Ferguson, The Whole Christ
David Powlison, Good and Angry
Steven J. Duby, Divine Simplicity: A Dogmatic Account
Cornelis P. Venema, The Promise of the Future
Mark Jones, Knowing Christ

Who Shall Ascend the Mountain of the Lord?: A Biblical Theology of the Book of Leviticus
This is good. So are quite a few others in this series, eg A Clear and Present Word: The Clarity of Scripture, by Mark D Thompson

Also:

Chad van Dixhoorn, Confessing the Faith: A Reader's Guide to the Westminster Confession of Faith

Two options by Sinclair Ferguson, (1) The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance and (2) Devoted to God: Blueprints for Sanctification

Written in the C19th but recently collected together for the first time, Hugh Martin, Christ Victorious: Selected Writings of Hugh Martin

Since you're looking for contemporary books, there's likely to be many that are little more than noise, or some that have a temporary value but little staying power (this was also a problem in the past, but many of those books have been largely washed away by the tide of time). Academic engagement with historical theology has obviously improved, and there have been some helpful entries on the practical and pastoral theology sides. Here are a few that I think stand out and will maybe still be read in a further 20 or 30 years.

Oh, this appeared while I was drafting. I've already seconded Sinclair Ferguson! I'd also second Mark Jones, Knowing Christ, although his subsequent one on God wasn't quite so good.

Sarah (Bookish_Basset) sent me Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund and it was incredibly good. You will want to give your copy to at least a dozen people, while also wanting to keep your copy to reread.

(Others I reread are mostly commentaries or devotional commentaries. I'm really loving Dale Bruner on John, I love Dr. Motyer on anything, and Robert Alter's translation/comments on the OT.)

Agreed.

I'm open to folks posting which books NOT to waste my money on :rofl:

Here's a selection:
  • Vos, Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • Lloyd-Jones, Preaching and Preachers
  • Murray, Pentecost -- Today?: The Biblical Basis for Understanding Revival
  • Koyzis, Political Visions and Illusions: A Survey & Christian Critique of Contemporary Ideologies (2nd Ed)
  • Lewis, Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
If the fact that that last one is fiction is an issue, then I'd recommend Bruce Gordon's Calvin.

For newer works, I'd suggest...
  • Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics (4 vol.) by Richard Muller
  • The Whole Christ by Sinclair Ferguson
  • Christ Triumphant by Raymond Zorn
  • The Promise of the Future by Cornelis Venema
  • The Christian Sabbath by Robert Martin
  • The Identity and Attributes of God by Terry Johnson
  • The Divine Challenge by John Byl
  • With Reverence and Awe by D. G. Hart and John Muether
Sorry, I know that's more than five.

Day of Worship by Ryan McGraw
Between the Times by D.G. Hart (this will probably be a slog if you are not interested in the OPC's history)
The Truth of the Cross by R.C. Sproul
Family Worship by Joel R. Beeke
Reformed Preaching by Joel R. Beeke
Sing a New Song by various authors (edited by Beeke)

Actually just anything by Beeke is just a reading of a modern Puritanical work. The OPC also has some collective article books you might find interesting; they have articles on different points of theology and church History. These are not really my top five but they are some modern ones I have read all or a portion of and have been blessed by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back