Well, for a couple of reasons I don't think I'd point anyone to it.
First, it's very low on substance. Nothing Alcorn says in it is particularly
striking or insightful, that I recall. It's quite mundane, and the lengths
to which Alcorn goes to stretch the simple, single concept into multiple
'lessons' is amazing. I found the book frankly quite shallow and uninstructive.
The core good (as opposed to the robe of poor teaching that covers up this
small good) message of "don't hoard your treasures on earth because they
are fleeting" could be said in about five minutes. Instead, it's designed for
a multi-month study. Why all the hot air?
Second, and this is far more serious an objection - Alcorn is very, very
close in this book to arguing that our primary reason for giving generously
is so that we may reap greater and greater rewards in heaven. Can anyone
honestly say that this is a legitimate reason for giving? "Give so that you
might pile up more for yourself in Heaven"? I think he tries at times to
soften this kind of argumentation (perhaps he knows it's improper, and
doesn't want to come off this way), but no amount of smoothing over what
he says can hide the fact that somewhere deep down I think he really believes
this. He may not even realize it, but this is what he seems quite clearly
to be saying.
I am very disturbed to hear folks "aiming for big castles in the sky". Why
should we be motivated in doing ANYTHING on earth by a notion of gaining
greater rewards in Heaven? The pervasive view that I see in Scripture is
that we will be happy with Heaven itself, because it is eternity with Christ and
an unabated experience of the Love of God forever. Who gives a flying leap
whether my Heavenly home has golden doors in it, or silver, or brass? How can
this motivation (of earning gold accomodations instead of silver, by means
of giving more generously here on Earth) motivate anyone but the selfish? How
can this be good in any way at all?
Ranting off.
I found the book really quite objectionable, and cannot fathom why such a
book is needed in order to teach the simple truth that it does contain.
Todd