Ubuntu Howto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandrusk

Puritan Board Sophomore
As part of another threat someone asked me to create a Ubuntu How To thread. So here it is; Also curious to see how many Christians are using Ubuntu and would love to help out however I can.

In case you do not know what Ubuntu is, it is a free, open source operating system that competes with Microsoft Windows.

Homepage | Ubuntu
 
That's great to hear. Not sure if you have tried Xiphos, but it's an open source bible program that I really like.

I had it until recently, when I had to reinstall Ubuntu from a disk. Maybe I'll download it again. I liked it too.

For my needs (college student), Ubuntu hasn't lacked anything except a good way to get iTunes and sync it with my iPod Touch. I've tried a lot of things. Other than that, it serves all my operating system needs.
 
Cool, just run sudo apt-get install xiphos in a Terminal and you should have it back. Yes, ITunes is always a pain. I just use Rhythmbox with one of the other providers. Really liking the Ubuntu Music store. Just bought a Petra album and love the UbuntuOne sync.
 
Cool, just run sudo apt-get install xiphos in a Terminal and you should have it back.

Done. Thanks. Now to re-download Matthew Henry's Commentaries. :)

Yes, ITunes is always a pain. I just use Rhythmbox with one of the other providers. Really liking the Ubuntu Music store. Just bought a Petra album and love the UbuntuOne sync.

I'm probably dreaming too high, but do you know if I can put music on my iPod Touch this way?
 
I was reading up on ways to get iTunes. Some people seemed to have figured it out, but I can't remember now... Is it something worth trying or not? Is my husband stuck syncing his iPhone with my computer? (Seeing as how his epic Mac is so old he can't get an iTunes new enough to sync with the most recent phone...eugh bad Apples :rollseyes: )

Right now we're not so worried about extras though as with getting Ubuntu to run properly. For some reason it is slow and prone to freezing. Given the rave reviews, I assume it should not be like this. I'll have to come back here someday and post what version we have I guess.
 
Your best bet would be to post the problems that you have been having on Ask Ubuntu - Stack Exchange with the details as to what version you are running along with the hardware it is running on. You should have some feedback within a day or two. Or you could just send an email to me, [email protected] and I can see if I can figure out what's going on offline.
 
I'm running Ubuntu (Natty), and my Bible software is e-Sword; I'm going to try Bible Analyzer, looks good, I didn't like Xiphos nor Bibletime.

Regarding itunes, I saw that it is supported by Playonlinux, so it's worth a try. I, particularly, hate itunes, so I don't have that problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top