Unconditional Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Williams

Puritan Board Freshman
In talking with a pastor today, he stated that God loves mankind unconditionally. What say ye? Do you agree with this statement? :detective:

It is my understanding that God loves us conditionally, that is He loves us in Christ. The only way that God could love us was in the giving of his son for the redemption of mankind.

God's love is conditional upon His election and, by extention, one being covered by the spotlessness of Christ. Even the saints God loves conditionally, i.e. only because He has elected us.

I say this because He first loved us, and He only shows that love to those whom He has elected. There are those who would disagree and say that God loves the whole world, but I don't think either an active predestination or a passive allowance of reprobation leaves room for this statement. In one instance, God is actively judging rebels and destining them for Hell, in another, He is allowing them to heap damnation on their heads while they defile the current creation to rebel against thier creator. I think the latter implies the former though, but many still seem to make the distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back