Andrew P.C.
Puritan Board Junior
I wasn't sure how to title this but i think it gets the point across. First I would like to give a specific situation and then see what others have to say.
I attend a church of maybe 30-40 people with some Sundays being as big as 50-60 on a good day. We have one teaching elder and one ruling elder. The church and our session have been praying for other men in the church to become elders or deacons within the church. Now, the make-up of our church is mostly people in their 40's or younger, but we do have older saints as well. I would say 2/3 are 40 and under and 1/3 is over 40. None of the older men (with the exception of our ruling elder and pastor) have asked, or desire an office (we recently have had an older gentlemen who was in the CRCNA for quite some time that has been asked to sit in on some meetings). None of the younger men have had or have a desire for an office as well, with the exception of one in particular. This young man desires the office and has told the pastor. The man is 26 years old. The pastor thinks that this young man is ready to go through training but the ruling elder differs because he doesn't think him, or anyone else that young has enough experience (I have to admit, this elder doesn't know this young man very well since he hasn't spent time with him).
So here is the question, is age and life experience a REQUIREMENT for the offices of elder and deacon? If so, why? If not, why not? Where, in scripture, would you go to for your position, and why?
I'd like to point out that, in the specific list Paul gives in both Titus and Timothy, experience and age are not present. Yet, there might be elsewhere implicitly. Also, I have already searched and found this thread beneficial.
So, what say you?
I attend a church of maybe 30-40 people with some Sundays being as big as 50-60 on a good day. We have one teaching elder and one ruling elder. The church and our session have been praying for other men in the church to become elders or deacons within the church. Now, the make-up of our church is mostly people in their 40's or younger, but we do have older saints as well. I would say 2/3 are 40 and under and 1/3 is over 40. None of the older men (with the exception of our ruling elder and pastor) have asked, or desire an office (we recently have had an older gentlemen who was in the CRCNA for quite some time that has been asked to sit in on some meetings). None of the younger men have had or have a desire for an office as well, with the exception of one in particular. This young man desires the office and has told the pastor. The man is 26 years old. The pastor thinks that this young man is ready to go through training but the ruling elder differs because he doesn't think him, or anyone else that young has enough experience (I have to admit, this elder doesn't know this young man very well since he hasn't spent time with him).
So here is the question, is age and life experience a REQUIREMENT for the offices of elder and deacon? If so, why? If not, why not? Where, in scripture, would you go to for your position, and why?
I'd like to point out that, in the specific list Paul gives in both Titus and Timothy, experience and age are not present. Yet, there might be elsewhere implicitly. Also, I have already searched and found this thread beneficial.
So, what say you?
No doubt there is a biblical way to run our churches and that way is especially more difficult in this day and age for many reasons. I see many devalue our pastors to the high calling of the official call of Our Lord gave in the great commission which I understand to mean that it is only the ordained who have the proper authority to proclaim His Word and deliver the sacraments. Now you can correct me if I am wrong but did not the church before the reformation, and after, have pastors only preach and teach His word to the laity? I know they were the only ones allowed to administer the sacraments but what about teaching? I know of many within our denominations have nonordained RE's lead bible studies to which I am leery of. The more I learn the less I am inclined to be taught by someone not ordained, knowing that they are the true professionals that were properly sent by Christ to teach. This is why I wonder if we should not have a real 2 office view where the deacons handle all the other duties that would take away from the enormous responsibility of our pastors to be the ones to preach, teach, and administer the sacraments.