Union Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
At my job, we had a union vote recently. My side (those who voted "no") lost. (It's the Machinist's Union - and I do clerical work; go figure.)

Now, I've gotten a letter in the mail informing me of the vote, and also informing me that the union will be extracting money from my pay, beginning in October. Naturally, they don't say how much.

The letter also urges me to become a member of the union. Currently, as of the vote, I am "represented" by the union, but I'm not a member of the union (don't ask me to explain that).

My question: I've "heard" that, legally, there is an "opt out" right for people in my situation who are not interested in the union.

True? False? Am I stuck, regardless? I already have to pay part of my retirement and part of my health insurance. I can't afford yet another bite out of my paycheck.

Any informed opinions?
 
I know there is in "teacher's" unions but don't know about mechanics, per se. My wife opted out but felt tremendous pressure to join the NEA cult, dare I say. Thankfully she only taught for 5 years before our first child was born 9 years ago.

Sticky situation you may get in?
 
At my job, we had a union vote recently. My side (those who voted "no") lost. (It's the Machinist's Union - and I do clerical work; go figure.)

Now, I've gotten a letter in the mail informing me of the vote, and also informing me that the union will be extracting money from my pay, beginning in October. Naturally, they don't say how much.

The letter also urges me to become a member of the union. Currently, as of the vote, I am "represented" by the union, but I'm not a member of the union (don't ask me to explain that).

My question: I've "heard" that, legally, there is an "opt out" right for people in my situation who are not interested in the union.

True? False? Am I stuck, regardless? I already have to pay part of my retirement and part of my health insurance. I can't afford yet another bite out of my paycheck.

Any informed opinions?

The general rule is that you can opt out of the portion of your dues that go to political lobbying, but you have to pay the portion that goes to standard union activities, such as negotiations with management.

State laws offer other protection, but almost all states without "right to work" laws follow the above, that is, you can only opt out of a portion.

The idea is that your first amendment political speech rights cannot be coerced, but everything else can be. :um:
 
At my job, we had a union vote recently. My side (those who voted "no") lost. (It's the Machinist's Union - and I do clerical work; go figure.)

Now, I've gotten a letter in the mail informing me of the vote, and also informing me that the union will be extracting money from my pay, beginning in October. Naturally, they don't say how much.

The letter also urges me to become a member of the union. Currently, as of the vote, I am "represented" by the union, but I'm not a member of the union (don't ask me to explain that).

My question: I've "heard" that, legally, there is an "opt out" right for people in my situation who are not interested in the union.

True? False? Am I stuck, regardless? I already have to pay part of my retirement and part of my health insurance. I can't afford yet another bite out of my paycheck.

Any informed opinions?

Whether or not you have a choice to join the union or not depends on whether your state is a Right to Work state. Apparently CA is not. The opt out you may be thinking of is opting out of a separate fund for the union's political action which I think may apply whether it's right to work or not, but I don't know for sure.

Even in right to work states, those not joining the union typically (if ever) will not be able to negotiate separately with the company. This may be what you are referring to by being represented by the union but not being a member.
 
The guys at National Right to Work were helpful when I started a campaign to throw the union out of a workplace. The fellows at the NLRB were not helpful. Do not disclose any info to these bureaucrats you do not want the Union to know.

Has the Machinists Union negotiated a contract with your employer? I do not think they can not force deductions of union dues until they have.
 
The guys at National Right to Work were helpful when I started a campaign to throw the union out of a workplace. The fellows at the NLRB were not helpful. Do not disclose any info to these bureaucrats you do not want the Union to know.

Has the Machinists Union negotiated a contract with your employer? I do not think they can not force deductions of union dues until they have.

Yes, there is an existing contract. They have "represented" some employees for years, and have spent a long time trying to get the rest of us.

They may steal my money, but they'll never get me to join the union. I should add that I work for a public (governmental)agency. I'm trying to find out if public employee strikes are legal in California.
 
Last edited:
You can force the NLRB to hold a vote making union dues mandatory. The only catch is you have to win a majority of the bargaining group not just a majority who voted in the election.
 
UPDATE:

Well, I finally got around to contacting my tax guy (a fine Christian fellow who's been doing my taxes for many years) to ask him if union dues are tax deductible?

His answer? Yes, they are, if, in any calendar year, they amount to more than 2% of your gross income. Then, you can deduct them as an "itemized deduction".

So, maybe that'll take some of the sting out of my situation. It won't work for this calendar year, since the union won't start extracting dues until October.
 
At my job, we had a union vote recently. My side (those who voted "no") lost. (It's the Machinist's Union - and I do clerical work; go figure.)

Now, I've gotten a letter in the mail informing me of the vote, and also informing me that the union will be extracting money from my pay, beginning in October. Naturally, they don't say how much.

The letter also urges me to become a member of the union. Currently, as of the vote, I am "represented" by the union, but I'm not a member of the union (don't ask me to explain that).

My question: I've "heard" that, legally, there is an "opt out" right for people in my situation who are not interested in the union.

True? False? Am I stuck, regardless? I already have to pay part of my retirement and part of my health insurance. I can't afford yet another bite out of my paycheck.

Any informed opinions?

Depends on where you live and what the laws are there. Considering the fact you chose to live in the People's Republic of California, you're probably stuck with it, sorry to say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top