Using Daily-Devotional Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I've read through a lot of books of daily devotional readings in my time, but I have to admit that, for me, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening* is hard to beat. He's just such a vigorous writer. I've just started going through it again.

(*originally two books, of course: Morning by Morning [1865] and Evening by Evening [1868]. In both cases, the books do not consist of excerpts from his sermons, but each devotional was written fresh, from scratch, by Spurgeon during his vacations and other downtimes.)

Any other Spurgeon devotional fans out there?

I love him so does my mother. She bought me his Morning and Evening book leather and fancy then stole it from me! I told her I hoped she found something in the book that spoke about stealing :wwbd: ;)

I read it every day; I have been doing it for the last four years. I am also a big fan of J. C. Ryle's commentaries on the Gospels, this one is not a day-by-day devotional book per se but it can be used that way. I read one section every day which is about a page and a half on the Kindle reader. Hard to beat.

My wife reads Morning and Evening. Sometimes she shares with me. I like it and am a fan of Spurgeon's writing, but have never used it for my own devotional time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back