Using the Lord's Name in Vain

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenFromUtopia

Puritan Board Graduate
When people say "the Lord has showed me" or "the Lord helped me", etc. are they not opening up for the possibility that the Lord steered them in the wrong direction? Can claiming that the Lord helped someone do something or showed them something (when that "something" could be sin or wrong) be using the Lord's name in vain?

I've wondered the same thing, though not in those words. I know someone who regularly credits the Lord with her rather heterodox leaps of illogic. It makes me cringe, it used to make me wonder who's right?

I have known that women have used "God's will" to assert the rightness of their position before. They are so manipulative. How, can I argue with a woman that has divine providence on her side? Oh well.
:lol:

:pilgrim: Puritanhead

WLC:

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God´s name as is required;[579] and the abuse of it in an ignorant,[580] vain,[581] irreverent, profane,[582] superstitious[583] or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes,[584] ordinances,[585] or works,[586] by blasphemy,[587] perjury;[588] all sinful cursings,[589] oaths,[590] vows,[591] and lots;[592] violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful[593] and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful;[594] murmuring and quarrelling at,[595] curious prying into,[596] and misapplying of God´s decrees[597] and providences;[598] misinterpreting,[599] misapplying,[600] or any way perverting the Word, or any part of it;[601] to profane jests,[602] curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines;[603] abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms,[604] or sinful lusts and practices;[605] the maligning,[606] scorning,[607] reviling,[608] or any wise opposing of God´s truth, grace, and ways;[609] making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends;[610] being ashamed of it,[611] or a shame to it, by unconformable,[612] unwise,[613] unfruitful,[614] and offensive walking,[615] or backsliding from it.[616].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back