Rich, I have addressed the matters of general equity and the RPW to Matthew above, and I am willing to be edified if I am wrong in my understanding of these things.
As I said to him, you were right about the priests not all being regenerate, and the strong wind coming from you has battered the door of my mind so that it is loosened a bit and I find myself willing to consider if it is possible you may just be right about Erasmus.
Though I ask, please take a gentler tone, and avoid the assumption of ill motives and contra-Reformed views on my part. You are not a Luther, and I am certainly not an Erasmus! Yet I do realize that you, as always, are fervent in your desire not to let error prevail here on this ship, and that I can respect (sorry to link you with the Navy!). Still, I am at least as much a fervent defender of Reformed doctrine as you.
I gather at New Geneva you are preparing for the pastorate. When I planted and pastored the church in Cyprus almost all those who attended, and became members, had not been taught anything positive about Reformed doctrine. Some were Arminian, some charismatic, some from atheist and others from Islamic backgrounds. A number of them evidenced a genuine faith in Christ, yet it was without a sure foundation on Biblical doctrine. I had to work tenderly and caringly with them despite their erroneous beliefs, gently showing them the consequences of false doctrine. From the pulpit I would preach regularly on the sovereign grace of God in regeneration, and our utter spiritual inability apart from this grace, and how we were not only born again by sovereign grace, but justified by grace through faith, and that a gift, not a thing earned. This was revolutionary in the lives of those that took it to heart; still, it was a work of years to strengthen and guide them in this.
So I am used to being gentle and non-condemning with Arminians (and with others who err in different areas), seeking to recognize real faith even when it was not sound and healthy. And I still work with such, for even in a Presbyterian church back here in the U.S. (where I have taught a number of classes), many come from other church backgrounds – some staunchly Arminian, some Dispensationalist, some charismatic, etc – and I do not deal with them with a heavy hand and doctrinaire approach, nor do I accuse them of “denying the gospel” by what they believe. Rather, gently but firmly show them the flesh-honoring and death that result from attributing merit to ourselves in how we are saved and justified, and how this takes away from the glory of God’s grace toward us who do not deserve it, neither can receive it unless He first give it to us freely.
Many come to Christ through the bare proclamation of their desperate estate under the law and the mercy offered through the death of Christ in their stead, and subsequent resurrection, and so come to Him without much other doctrinal knowledge. Many are truly born-again in quite substandard settings, and struggle long as a result of little or no good instruction.
When you say to me, “In the service of your idiosyncratic theory, Erasmus’ denial of a central doctrine is a mere small error.” Rich, you put a spin on what I say that is unworthy a Christian brother. Please, grant me a little more grace.
Not everyone who errs in the doctrine of justification is “a hater of Christ”. I wasn’t in my early years, and the Lord led me out my error, and I have a heart for those who are likewise deceived. If you think and proceed as those hate who are but deceived, you will do much harm to those you ought instead be leading to the truth.
It appears you are lowering the boom on me in your imagined thought that I am betraying the Reformation to serve a textual position. I do think it is clear, as I noted to Matthew above and as EF Hills stated (and as you also hold), Erasmus need not have been regenerate for the TR view to stand. I just think he is anyway, but will continue to study his life (concerning which I have found so many differing views over the centuries!).
It is not just regeneration that has been an issue for me (rightly or wrongly), but also
agendas with regard to the textual material men deal with. Erasmus wanted to get the NT in Greek (and then vulgar tongues) into as many hands as possible; other textual scholars have other agendas, not all of them God-honoring.
To clarify some issues: You said,
#25 “Erasmus was not an Arminian. That's anachronistic. Semi-pelagian does not equate to Arminian.”
It is true that, strictly (historically) speaking, semi-Pelagianism way antedated Arminianism, although Packer explicitly equates the former being the theological precursor of the latter, they both having the same view of the human will and human merit.
Is our salvation wholly of God, or does it ultimately depend on something we do for ourselves? Those who say the latter (as the Arminians later did) thereby deny man’s utter helplessness in sin, and affirm that a form of semi-Pelagianism is true after all. (J.I. Packer, “Historical and Theological Introduction” to Martin Luther’s, The Bondage of the Will, p 59.)
In Steele and Thomas’ book
The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, Documented (the edition I have is 1963, and I realize there are later revised editions), they show the intimate connection:
Semi-Pelagianism, the Forerunner of Arminianism
Smeaton, in showing how Semi-Pelagianism (the forerunner of Arminianism) originated, states that “Augustin’s unanswerable polemic had so fully discredited Pelagianism in the field of argument, that it could no longer be made plausible to the Christian mind. It collapsed. But a new system soon presented itself, teaching that man with his own natural powers is able to take the first step toward his conversion, and that this obtains or merits the Spirit’s assistance. Cassian . . . was the founder of this middle way, which came to be called SEMI-PELAGIANISM, because it occupied intermediate ground between Pelagianism and Augustinianism, and took in elements from both. He acknowledged that Adam’s sin extended to his posterity, and that human nature was corrupted by original sin. But on the other hand he held a system of universal grace for all men alike making the final decision in the case of every individual dependent on the exercise of free will.”
Speaking of those who followed Cassian, Smeaton continues, “they held that the first movement of the will in the assent of faith must be ascribed to the natural powers of the human mind. This was their primary error. Their maxim was: ‘it is mine to be willing to believe, and it is the part of God's grace to assist.’ They asserted the sufficiency of Christ's grace for all, and that every one, according to his own will, obeyed or rejected the invitation, while God equally wished and equally aided all men to be saved. The entire system thus formed is a half-way house containing elements of error and elements of truth, and not at all differing from the Arminianism which, after the resuscitation of the doctrines of grace by the Reformers, diffused itself in the very same way through the different Churches.”* (pp 20-21)
* Quoting from George Smeaton, The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit, pp 300, 301.
Rich in your post #15 you said,
“nobody would ever try to rehabilitate Erasmus as one who ‘clings to Christ’ while simultaneously outright denying justification by faith unless there was a system of thought that depended upon it”.
To repeat myself, No, I don’t think that is true, as I have long considered Erasmus a genuine believer based on his life and writings. And I will allow the possibility he was not, as per what I have said above. I continue to look for light on this.
Post #22 “Erasmus was not an Arminian but one committed to the Sacramental system of the Roman Catholic Church - a defender of its sacerdotalism.”
I think you’re too quick on the draw with regard to Erasmus being committed to the sacramental system and RC sacerdotalism. I believe you’re making unfounded assumptions. Those were the days – the 1520s – of the Eucharist Controversies, and Erasmus was if anything, against the Roman Catholics in this. I am still researching his position. To quote from Michael Maynard,
The attitude of Rev. Hugh Pope (professor of N.T. exegesis in Colegio Angelico at Rome) toward Erasmus is noteworthy:
But the real trouble was Erasmus’ lack of theology . . . He seemed to take pleasure in suggesting doubts about almost every article of Catholic teaching: the Mass, confession, the primacy of the Apostolic See, clerical celibacy, fasting and abstinence, and so forth. Small wonder then, that he came to be regarded as the man who paved the way for the Reformation . . . (H. Pope, English Versions of the Bible, revised by Rev. S. Bullough, O.P. [St. Louis: Herder, 1952, p 105])
Cited in Michael Maynard, A History of the Debate Over 1 John 5:7-8, (Comma Publications, 1995 AZ) p 329.
This (Rev. Pope’s) the view of a Catholic.
---------
Rich, getting briefly to your post #31, point 4, “it was the King's responsibility to make a new copy of the Scriptures.”
John Gill in his commentary on Deut 17:18 says,
Instead of hanging his heart upon these earthly things, when he sat upon his royal throne he was to have a copy of the law written out by the Levitical priests, that he might keep the law by him, and read therein all the days of his life. [It] does not involve writing with his own hand (Philo), but simply having it written.
Looking at your post #25, With “regenerate scholarship” resulting in different conclusions we weigh and study what they have said; they are all in the camp, and are worthy a hearing; some are so obviously wrong we study them so as to refute them – yet they are within the pale.
When I spoke of “greater to lesser”, the greater referred to the many who err yet are not haters of Christ; if all those who err on the doctrine of justification are “haters of Christ” then I would call this a doctrinaire stance, the caring for correct doctrine more than the souls of those who err. You even have the nerve to imply that in pointing this out I make the Reformers “just schismatics . . . since this doctrine [justification by faith] is so disposable to you”. This is bad spin.
Whatever you may imagine, my supposed “sentimental argument” is not primarily about Erasmus but, as I have said, about the many who likewise err. Forget for a moment – for argument’s sake, please – Erasmus and the textual issue. Is it as you say, but a “sentimental argument” to talk about professing Christians that err on a sound view of justification by faith – who nonetheless exhibit saving grace in their lives and words – as all “haters of Christ”?
May it not more rightly be termed a “heartfelt care argument” for those true sheep who have been fed bad grain for many years, and both fail to live fully godly Christian lives and do not ascribe the honor and glory to God that He alone deserves? I fear you may be as impatient with such who may come under your pastoral care as you are with me who bring them up.
That you denigrate me as an opponent of the Reformation by my views on the regenerate who err on justification I find ironic, for if I err, instead of edifying me in grace, you accuse and vilify, even though the word says,
“Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted” (Gal 6:1).
(Please also note concerning Erasmus, it was by you in post #13 his name was first brought into this thread after I earlier spoke about other text critics and their unbelieving
agendas, as though you needed him to bolster your own argument, and tear mine down.)
It is not sentimental, Rich, to care for souls, and to grant them judgment of charity, rather than judgment of condemnation. For they do call on His name.
I really won’t be dismissed so lightly and derogatorily, for my arguments are not built on “faulty foundations and give the appearance of a strong house but it is easily blown over”. And I can so demonstrate it.
Rich, if I examine the works and sayings of unbelieving textual critics who have stated agendas against a believing approach to the church’s Bible, why do you term this “character assassination” when it is sober assessment? And you may claim mine is a “fundamentally flawed argument” but I do not believe you have demonstrated this at all. You have just put a bad spin on me and it, undeservedly. I care at least as much as you about the integrity of the doctrines of God’s sovereignty in salvation, and His justifying us by faith.
O.K., I will admit I was heated when I spoke about the change in the words of institution for the Lord’s Supper (but the WCF framers used the traditional reading of 1 Cor 11:24 in all their proof texts, and so does the current 2005 OPC / PCA edition of the Westminster standards). His words in the traditional text are very important and meaningful to me. It really upsets me that it has changed from the old Reformation view, and I am not sure what to do about it. I can deal with churches using different versions, but this strikes home.
Still and all, how’s about we both speak with less heat and more grace?