Was Jesus a victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cambridge dictionary:

Victim - someone or something that has been hurt, damaged, or killed or has suffered, either because of the actions of someone or something else, or because of illness or chance:

a person who has suffered the effects of violence or illness or bad luck

Cornell Law School

Crime victim or victim of crime means a person who has suffered physical, sexual, financial, or emotional harm as a result of the commission of a crime.

Yes, Jesus meets the definition of a victim even in light of his willingness and the sovereignty of God.
 
In addition to the accuracy of the term as commonly used in modern language, "victim" is properly a term for a sacrificial animal, other senses developing from this original sense by comparison.
 
I would at least say "willing victim" so as not to give the wrong impression. I usually say something like, "Jesus let them kill him even though he didn't deserve to die," which makes it Christ's own choice yet still acknowledges the culpability of his executioners.
 
Yes a sacrifice, and yes a willing sacrifice, and yet also an active "actor" in his own death. The 19th century theologian Hugh Martin is particularly strong on this point, arguing against the common view of his time that the death of Jesus was ultimately a beautiful example of passive suffering. Hugh Martin insists that he was active as a priest (offering the sacrifice of himself) and that he was victoriously active at every point of his suffering. He was the only person not to have been merely a victim in his death -- martyrs can die heroically willingly submitting to suffering, but Jesus did more than that. Slightly echoing John Owen's point that "the death of Christ was the death of death," Hugh Martin has a turn of phrase along the lines, "He died death dead!" to try and express how Christ's death itself conquered death and triumphed over sin and Satan and hell.
 
I may be off here, but I prefer ransom instead of victim. It seems ransom would include his eternal omniscience in knowing the beginning from the end, his omnipotence in controlling his death, and his voluntary willingness to take upon himself the wrath due us. Victim has the feeling of unwilling, unbeknownst, and helpless, etc. I don't really see anytime in history man ever doing anything to God apart from his will.
 
Am thinking that today's 'victim mentality' may be flavoring my aversion to calling Jesus a victim...
 
Am thinking that today's 'victim mentality' may be flavoring my aversion to calling Jesus a victim...

I think the author you linked to was thinking along the same lines which is why I posted a definition. Sometimes words used in common conversation are operating off a different shade of meaning than what is technically accurate, usually colored by cultured trends. A "victim mentality" may be referring to more of a psychological state or identity which may or may not reflect a person's actual experiences (not to minimize anyone's suffering or true victimhood when I say that).
 
I think whatever term we use we need to guard against leaving the impression that Christ was not willing to go to the cross for us. He willingly offered himself as a sacrifice for us and the Father was pleased with that sacrifice. In terms of modern hymnology, I believe that there is some seriously erroneous teaching on the crucifixion, although that is probably a subject for another thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top