We're going to Scotland!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pastor Glenn. Glasgow is way better than Edinburgh. I lived in Glasgow for 10 years and it is so full of everyday street culture. Some great architecture in the city as well. Also the people are friendlier too. But Glasgow does have a seedier underside to it. I never liked being in the city center after dark.
And yes, great Indian food. The Koh-i-Noor or the Ashoka Palace are probably the two top Indian restaurants in the city.

Whilst in Glasgow, you must go to Ibrox and see our Rangers. They are playing Dundee United on 18 Sept.

Rangers FC

Glasgow is way better than Edinburgh.

I don't think I can let that pass! Everybody knows Edinburgh is miles better. More history, more culture, better architecture and the most breathtakingly beautiful city centre in Europe (which means in the world, of course). It wasn't for nothing it was called the Athens of the North.
As for the seething crime after dark - they may have lagged behind on that one, but yes, I believe nowadays they even have that too :p

Glasgow (2nd city of the Empire) has great culture. (European City of Culture in 1988) It is real culture, street culture of ordinary people. We also have higher culture as well. Many galleries, many museums, theaters. Also the home of the RSAMD, Scottish Opera, SNO and of course the Piping Center.
There is some pretty neat architecture in Glasgow also. Look at those beautiful tenements and Victorian townhouses in abundance in the wonderful West End, the delights Glasgow University, Kelvinhall, Alexander Greek Thomson and Charles Rennie MacIntosh buildings and designs. Incidentally, Glasgow City Free Church worships in the only remaining Thomson church building.
However, I do concede that Glasgow is a post industrial city with much social deprivation.
I am a West Coaster,so obviously I favor the West Coast.:p

Enjoy your trip! You are going to the seat of real Western Civilisation. No country has had such a profound impact upon the world, especially for its size, and never having developed an empire. Scotland is so revered that even the English can't crown a monarch without having a piece of Scotland as their base. ;)

Pah. We stole it to show that we're best.
or to put it more poetically, in the immortal words of Flanders and Swann:

The rottenest bits of these islands of ours
We've left in the hands of three unfriendly powers;
Examine the Irishman, Welshman or Scot,
You'll find he's a stinker as often as not.
The English, the English, the English are best,
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!

[etc, for several more verses..]

The verse on the scotsman is as follows:

The Scotsman is mean, as we're all well aware
And bony, and blotchy, and covered with hair!
He eats salted porridge, He works all the day
And He hasn't got Bishops to show him the way!

This only really works if you believe the established church is the way to go. The Scotsman has historically done well enough without Bishops, and rightly so.

Bah! Och! Every time I hear bagpipes my Scottish ancestry comes to the fore and I say "Confusion to the English." When I hear the bagpipes dirges from WWI (the Somme) I want to lead a charge against the Hun. When I hear a lone bagpiper play Amazing Grace, I think for a moment I am in heaven and there are no English around!:lol:

Glasgow is way better than Edinburgh.

I don't think I can let that pass! Everybody knows Edinburgh is miles better. More history, more culture, better architecture and the most breathtakingly beautiful city centre in Europe (which means in the world, of course). It wasn't for nothing it was called the Athens of the North.
As for the seething crime after dark - they may have lagged behind on that one, but yes, I believe nowadays they even have that too :p

A hearty Amen! to Jenny's comments. A blind man could see the beauty of Edinburgh along with its warm hearted, kind hearted, generous, gregarious, cultured residents (and exports!)

Whilst in Glasgow, you must go to Ibrox and see our Rangers. They are playing Dundee United on 18 Sept.

Whatever you do don't be going to Ibrox. The only singing and dancing you will see there this season will be at the Celtic end. Try Tynecastle instead where "the talk o the toon are the boys in maroon
and Auld Reekie supports them with pride."

along with other touristing plans we intend to visit the William Wallace memorial, paint our faces blue and have our pictures taken while shouting, "FREEDOM!!"

A word of advice -don't go painting your face blue. When I was growing up in Edinburgh, the only people you saw wearing tartan were American tourists. Now the same can said about painting your face blue.

Scots never painted their faces, anyway. That was the Picts. That is how they got their name from those pesky Romans.

If you go to Glasgow, be careful at night. Its easy to find yourself in the wrong part of town, and being an American screams "easy target." (I learned this the hard way). You don't really have to worry about this in Edinburgh as much (at least if you stay in the main town area).

My wife lived for three years in Glasgow and loved the city. She liked to quote, “Better a funeral in Glasgow than a wedding in Edinburgh!”

She owned a lovely 19th century flat in Hyndland, on the beautiful west side of the city. We were married at Partick Free Church and began our honeymoon in this flat, before departing a couple days later for Dublin.

I highly recommend the train ride from Glasgow to Port William, and the ferry trip from Stranraer to Belfast.

BTW, Dublin was interesting, but Ulster felt like home.

Any Free Church or Free Church Continuing will do if you don't mind acapella Metrical Psalms. Charlotte Chapel if you're Baptist friendly.

Any Free Church or Free Church Continuing will do if you don't mind acapella Metrical Psalms.

What else? You're in Scotland! Worship like historic, confessional Scottish Presbyterians, or you are missing something of the Scottish experience and our common Reformed heritage.

If you go to Glasgow, be careful at night. Its easy to find yourself in the wrong part of town, and being an American screams "easy target." (I learned this the hard way). You don't really have to worry about this in Edinburgh as much (at least if you stay in the main town area).

In actual fact the reverse is the case. Crime statistics have shown for many years that you are actually safer walking the streets of Glasgow rather than Edinburgh. Glasgow always had the reputation of being rough and the Glasgow accent sounds aggressive but in actual fact I have to begrudgingly admit it is a friendly city. I spent 3 years living in Glasgow as a student (and for Glen's benefit quite close to Partick and not too far from Hyndland on the Great Western Rd beside the Botanic Gardens) and enjoyed the experience, especially as that was where I met my wife.

I wish I could go on a trip to Scotland. I also wish I could be in Munich in a few weeks. Now THAT would be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back