Originally posted by Civbert
On the other hand Clark's presupposition is the axiom: Scripture is the Word of God. He never claimed to prove it with a deductive argument. It is an assumed stating point for justifying knowledge. We either believe it or not. And belief itself is not volitional. We might have good reasons for believing the axiom - Clark wrote an excellent book defending the inerrancy of Scripture (God's Hammer). But he never said that proves his worldview is necessarily true. (And assuming the Christian worldview, we know that our belief in the truths of Scripture are part of the faith God gives us.)
Anthony:
I will discuss this with you, but on the grounds that the person of Christ and of the Spirit is acknowledged as the Scripture's proposition, as the axiom itself.
If I understand Van Til's '32 syllabus, Clark's notion was, in part, one of the things that he rejected. Though I think he adopted Dooyweerd's definition of neutrality and autonomy, yet he was not altogether wrong in arguing against the notion that man has an intellectual basis in any degree free from God's created norm. I seem to detect in his argument there that every man works in the epistemological creation of God's hand, and that there is no other, though he does not explicitly say so. But then, Warfield's main apologetic thesis also included the self-attesting Christ of Scripture, though he did not explicitly say it in those exact terms.
The point I am making here is that Van Til at least denied that the theist and non-theist meet on some neutral ground where there is neither God nor no-God. There is no such place! On that score I agree with his notion of neutrality.
If Clark, on the other hand, even suggests that the person of Christ is missing from the epistemological equation, then he literally is out to lunch. I did read a few of his books, and I did not particularly find that to be the case. So no problem there, right?
Yet the point of Scripture remains that of the message of salvation, and that we can have certainty of the promises in Christ's work on the cross. That assumes, then, that what we may know of Christ, what has been revealed to us, is absolutely the truth. It is treasure in heaven, that is not subject to any erosion of any kind. That is, it is not subject to being eroded by the philosophies of man either. As a Christian, I own that certainty through the Scriptures.
When I engage unbelievers, I am, in essence, engaging liars, misrepresenters, and captives of sin. Though I go to the ends of the earth, lo, Christ is there. And I can present to them truth without ever needing to justify my own epistemological basis. The gospel does not hinge on that. It hinges on the Spirit acting supernaturally on the heart and intellect, of myself as much as the unbeliever. I am no less a sinner than the one that I am engaging. The difference is the person of Christ and of the Spirit, and that I have been given the gift of submitting to Him.
Defeating the atheist's scheme has already been done long before I was ever born. That in itself does not stop the atheist from clinging to it. But I don't have to defeat his scheme as if it is a new frontier in the field of apologetics. It simply isn't so. Instead, I can use the methodologies to try to understand the person, and to address the real person, the one he even hides from himself, and pray that the Spirit will work in his heart. Whether He does or not is not my business; my business was to witness the work of the Spirit in my heart in a manner that reaches out to others, to be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in me, with a gentle and respectful spirit, having a clear conscience. My business is to love him enough to care for his soul.
I have a very good reason for believing the Scriptures. The Spirit witnesses the truth of them to me. I can't do it without Him.
[Edited on 3-23-2006 by JohnV]