What Is Laughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
If possible, give a Biblical definition of laughter. There is seemingly some difference between laughter and rejoicing. I never laugh when I rejoice in the Lord. What is the difference between the two? Also, I would like to see some passages of Scripture where men's laughter seems to be an acceptable thing before God. I totally understand God's laughter, but I'm not convinced that we are in the right place to do so.

Thank you,

It's a gift from God which is affected by sin like other gifts.

Sarah laughed in unbelief when the Lord said she would have a son.(Gen. 18)

Then she laughed in joy when He gave her a son.(Gen. 21:5-7)

The name Isaac or Yitshaq means "he laughs" or "God laughs" and may be onomatopoeic of chuckling (?)

Dear Samuel,

Wherein has laughter been universally forbidden? The burden of proof is upon you, my friend, not those who hold that laughter, in and of itself, is a fine thing.

I never said laughter is universally forbidden, or even that I disallow laughter. Just answer my questions, if you will.

In Psalm 126:2 laughter is paralleled to singing as an expression of joy in the great things God has done. I suspect that something similar lies behind the naming of Isaac: not just to commemorate the unbelieving laughter Sarah gave vent to when he was first promised, but to record her joy in what God had done for her beyond hope and expectation.
God also is said to laugh, for instance in Psalm 2, and there the laughter has something of a derisive connotation: the futility of the efforts of men to overthrow the kingdom of God provoke God's laughter and derision. But at the same time, when you compare Acts 4, it does seem to me that it is genuinely funny (at least, when I first "got" it I definitely laughed). If I may recycle, I reflected on this before: Musing 1; Musing 2.

Dear Samuel,

Wherein has laughter been universally forbidden? The burden of proof is upon you, my friend, not those who hold that laughter, in and of itself, is a fine thing.

I never said laughter is universally forbidden, or even that I disallow laughter. Just answer my questions, if you will.
Then I counter with, "No. Please prove to me biblically why you think it's not acceptable for us to laugh."

Again, I did not say laughter is unacceptable. I simply said I'm not convinced it's acceptable. I'm on the edge of the razor.

I'll put down a few scriptural examples for you that laughter can be a good thing.

Ecclesiates 3:1-4 (ESV) - 1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Psalm 126:1-3 (ESV) - 1 When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” 3 The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad.

Luke 6:21 (ESV) - Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

Proverbs 17:21 (ESV) - A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

(Boldness added for emphasis.)

It's a gift from God which is affected by sin like other gifts.

Amen. Calvin on Genesis 21:9:

And Sarah saw the son of Hagar. As the verb to laugh has a twofold signification among the Latins, so also the Hebrews use, both in a good and evil sense, the verb from which the participle מצחק (metsachaik) is derived. That it was not a childish and innoxious laughter, appears from the indignation of Sarah. It was, therefore a malignant expression of scorn, by which the forward youth manifested his contempt for his infant brother. And it is to be observed, that the epithet which is here applied to Ishmael, and the name Isaac, are both derived from the same root. Isaac was, to his father and others, the occasion of holy and lawful laughter; whence also, the name was divinely imposed upon him.

Ishmael turns the blessing of God, from which such joy flowed, into ridicule. Therefore, as an impious mocker, he stands opposed to his brother Isaac. Both (so to speak) are the sons of laughter: but in a very different sense. Isaac brought laughter with him from his mother’s womb, since he bore, — engraven upon him, — the certain token of God’s grace. He therefore so exhilarates his father’s house, that joy breaks forth in thanksgiving; but Ishmael, with canine and profane laughter, attempts to destroy that holy joy of faith. And there is no doubt that his manifest impiety against God, betrayed itself under this ridicule. He had reached an age at which he could not, by any means be ignorant of the promised favor, on account of which his father Abraham was transported with so great joy: and yet — proudly confident in himself — he insults, in the person of his brother, both God and his word, as well as the faith of Abraham. Wherefore it was not without cause that Sarah was so vehemently angry with him, that she commanded him to be driven into exile. For nothing is more grievous to a holy mind, than to see the grace of God exposed to ridicule.​

I think I may have "laughed" at Satan or sin in my rejoicing in the Lord, but not outwardly, rather in my heart. I mean, I didn't laugh out loud, all the joy was inside me. Of course, there were expressions of some level of laughter in my body, but not that of a laughter which we would normally think of.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

I'll put down a few scriptural examples for you that laughter can be a good thing.

Ecclesiates 3:1-4 (ESV) - 1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Psalm 126:1-3 (ESV) - 1 When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” 3 The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad.

Luke 6:21 (ESV) - Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

Proverbs 17:21 (ESV) - A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

(Boldness added for emphasis.)

Thank you for this!

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

I'm on the edge of the razor.
Be careful! ;)

I would also add, to what others have said, that laughter seems to be a natural reaction ingrained into our natures. We don't really teach a child how to smile or to laugh, but they do. They respond to things they find funny, etc. Just like alcohol, television, or food, laughter can be abused and used wrongly, but it doesn't mean that the thing, in itself, is wrong.

I understand now. Thank you.

Thank you for this!

No problem! :)

One thing I think is important is to differentiate between laughing at the expense of others (ie, mockery) and laughter brought about by joy or just general humor. We often make humorous observations or anecdotes about the world around us, or we may be so overjoyed at something that has happened that it brings about laughter, and I think there are times and places where that is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to laugh. Though we can sin through our laughter, it doesn't mean all laughter is a sin.

I'm laughing at this thread....

I wasn't going to say it, but I laughed at this too. I thought, "Where else but the Puritan Board?" That's not a bad thing either though because it's an important topic, but it's just so uncommon to really think about laughter.

I think I may have "laughed" at Satan or sin in my rejoicing in the Lord, but not outwardly, rather in my heart. I mean, I didn't laugh out loud, all the joy was inside me. Of course, there were expressions of some level of laughter in my body, but not that of a laughter which we would normally think of.

Are we actually talking about the manner of laughter then? I fail to see any "guidelines" on how to laugh from the bible, but I'll agree that the "holy laughter" found in some Charismatic churches does seem demonic.

James 4:9 is my life verse.

Is that irony?

:) Yes. In terms of "life verses" to choose from, James 4:9 would probably be very low on my list of choices; the context alone eliminates the possibility of applying it to myself correctly. But anyway... I appreciate the thoughts you provoked from your posts today. While I love laughter, it is very easy for me to neglect vital spirituality because of a preoccupation with vanity. Until your threads today I never stopped to really evaluate my laughing habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back