What is Pity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
I've never really understood what it means to call someone pitiful, and what happens in the mind and heart of a person who has pity on someone. Could you please explain?
 
Pity means to fell sorry for someone, to feel empathy, to be aware of their suffering and have compassion upon it.

Sometimes, at least in modern times, there is a little bid of bad to the notion "pity," people might say, "don't pity me!" in other words, don't be condescending or act as though you are so much better off than I am.

However its older use does not have any condescending to it; rather pity is a virtue, it shows you are empathetic and care about another person's feelings and problems.
 
Mr "T" in the tv series "The A Team" ( a rather old American tv series ) offers a good example of the condescending use of "pity" or "pitiful."

His catch phrase is, "I pity the fool," it is a put-down, it is like despising someone stupid enough to do this or that, contrary to Mr. T's standards.

It is said in a joke context, but illustrates the latter use of the word, which sometimes has a condescending air to it.
 
Thank you everyone. Just a few more questions:

Is God (not the God-man, Jesus Christ, as regards His human nature) capable of pitying?

If so, does God pity ungodly people?
 
We could ask the question differently as well:

Does a King pity those who rebel against him? By our nature we are rebels against God. Are rebels pitied? Do those who seek to overthrow God's kingdom, kill his servants and kill his son deserve to be pitied?

Just some food for thought...
 
We could ask the question differently as well:

Does a King pity those who rebel against him? By our nature we are rebels against God. Are rebels pitied? Do those who seek to overthrow God's kingdom, kill his servants and kill his son deserve to be pitied?

Just some food for thought...

Eric,
I'm sure pity is not what anyone (expect Christ) deserves according to God's standards. If God is capable of pitying, He pities us, His people, because of who He is, not because of any virtue in us (which is the precondition of merit).
I actually got the answer to my questions on my own. As long as pity is defined as compassion for others' miserable state, God cannot pity. God cannot be compassionate towards creatures, He cannot relate to our sufferings, and that is why He provided us with the God-man, Jesus Christ, who is our "compassionate high priest," who feels for us.
 
Not so, Samuel.

Ps. 103:13 "As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities them that fear Him." This is said before Christ comes as the one mediator between God and man. The Lord looks upon His people with pity even in Old Testament times. He has compassion on them in their need and misery (Ex. 4, Hosea 11). What's so hard to see about this? Isn't it clear what pity is and that God has it toward his people as a part of His love for them?

Don't make the mistake of privileging reason over revelation and developing a theology that uses reason magisterially to shape and conform revelation to fit it. God's revelation is supreme and in it He tells us that He pities us. His revelation, not my theological or philosophical speculation, is what shapes our theology. I am glad to an object of His pity. And, finally, He did not send Christ so that He might become compassionate toward us. He sent Christ because He was compassionate toward us.

Peace,
Alan
 
Not so, Samuel.

Ps. 103:13 "As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities them that fear Him." This is said before Christ comes as the one mediator between God and man. The Lord looks upon His people with pity even in Old Testament times. He has compassion on them in their need and misery (Ex. 4, Hosea 11). What's so hard to see about this? Isn't it clear what pity is and that God has it toward his people as a part of His love for them?

Don't make the mistake of privileging reason over revelation and developing a theology that uses reason magisterially to shape and conform revelation to fit it. God's revelation is supreme and in it He tells us that He pities us. His revelation, not my theological or philosophical speculation, is what shapes our theology. I am glad to an object of His pity. And, finally, He did not send Christ so that He might become compassionate toward us. He sent Christ because He was compassionate toward us.

Peace,
Alan

Rev. Strange,

I wouldn't have made this thread if I understood pity. And apparently I don't understand compassion, either. I just have to wonder why pity (or compassion) is not historically known as one of God's attributes. Is it because they are the same as love, or are they only one aspect of it (if yes, elaborate please)? Or is it because they are the same as mercy, a judicial act, not an emotion that goes on in the heart of a person?

Please, be patient toward me. I'm only trying to see God's revelation fit together. I'd gladly throw away all my false prejudice in interpreting the Bible, but sadly I can't. I try not to read my own ideas into the Bible, only interpret Scripture with Scripture.
 
Not only is pity a predominant feeling of Mr.T's emotional landscape, but it's also what stayed the hand of Bilbo, and ruled the fate of many.
 
Samuel

I appreciate your humility.

I would say that compassion or pity is very much an attribute of God: I would see it associated with His love, mercy, and loving-kindness, all of which are part of his moral attributes, which itself are communicable.

There are many Bible verses having to do with this, staying just in Psalm 103 that I quoted above (v.8 saying directly that "the Lord is compassionate."). Think of Eph. 4:32 in which we are told to be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving. The Greek word for tenderhearted is "good bowels," which is to say an inward disposition very much in sync with the one with whom we are dealing: sympatico with each other in joy and sorrow.

Now it is the case that we think of our Lord Jesus particularly with respect to this--our sympathetic high priest, "able to be touched with the feelings of our infirmities." Again, though, this does not mean that God cannot relate to the creature apart from the Incarnation (though he enters our human woe in a particular way in the Incarnation). God, seeing us in our sin and misery does not despise us. Rather He looks on us with pity, has mercy upon us, and works to bring us from sin and misery to grace and glory.

Peace,
Alan
 
As I thought, the two predominant hebrew words in the Old Testament for "pity" are chuwc, which basically means to spare, and racham (the word used in Rev. Strange's quoted Ps. 103:13), used synonymously with mercy. So, there is a good possibility that pity is never used to express God's emotions, but his judicial acts of mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top