What is Your Pulpit Bible?

What Version is Used in Your Pulpit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
-----Added 9/3/2009 at 04:56:32 EST-----

9780521508155.jpg

I Have this Bible! I love it! It's a BEAST!

One of our families visited another church recently. Their teenage son, about 14, commented afterwards, “The preacher didn't read from the Bible.”

Knowing that other congregation, very likely the minister read from a printout of his text, which is certainly acceptable. But, I know their practice is usually not to have the reading of the word as a distinct element of worship. Rather, a single text is read in the course of preaching, with comments interspersed between each segment.

But, I was interested in this young man’s perception of the Bible not being read.

Our practice is to have two readings from the word. The first reading is consecutively taken from the same book each week, with no necessary connection to the other reading or sermon. The other reading from the other testament is from the book being expounded consecutively in the sermon. The congregation hears both testaments regularly and consecutively read.

Use of this large lectern Bible dramatically conveys the fact these readings come from the Word of God, not man’s words. Of course, such is a circumstance of worship, certainly not required. Nevertheless, it lends dignity to the Word read, as a pulpit or raised platform lends dignity to the Word preached.

This is the Cambridge AV lectern Bible. If I a supplying somewhere away from my congregation, where there is no letern Bible, I use my Oxford Longprimer AV.

Our pastor uses the NIV.

I use both the NKJV and ESV. Typically, I carry a NKJV and Greek text to church with me.

Last edited:
We're pretty much an ESV-only congregation now. My pastor and I are the true Bible snobs with matching Allan ESV-1's.:D

My Pastor used the NASB for years, while I used the NKJV. I used the NASB as one of my references and I liked to study from it now and again but I was a NKJV guy and preached from the NKJV.

Then a while back he started using the ESV. He did not announce it, does not promote it, nor did I discuss it with him. I kept seeing good recommendations for the ESV and I picked up a copy. I am now an ESV guy and preached from it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back