What Pulpit Bible Translation Does Your Church Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Peters
I feel like i'm speaking in tongues here.

:lol:I learned long ago that we in the Reformed community tend to communicate by means of a code based on Campbell's alphabet soup...(PCA, OPC, PRC, RPCNA, URC, HNRC, ARC, ARPC, FPCS, FCS, FCSC, KJV, AV, ESV, NKJV, EP, CT, RP, TR, RPW, ...). Somebody ought to write a glossary of Reformed abbreviations!

Originally posted by Cottonball
Isn't NIV the most literal translation? I'm not trying to correct you; I'm asking. My prof said it is, that's why I'm wondering. Or do you think it's translated from the wrong version?

That's very interesting... I'm quite certain that I've never heard of anyone claiming the NIV to be literal, let alone the MOST literal. As has already been mentioned, it's a relatively loose translation in a word-for-word sense, and is aimed at a so-called 'dynamic equivalence', i.e. thought-for-thought method. Of course part of the problem there is that one has to make decisions about the thoughts in the mind of the author when making such a translation effort.

I've always found it to be very loosy-goosey, and much prefer the NKJV or NASB (and the ESV is pretty good too, which is what I use most often now) Our pulpit and pew bibles are NASB.

Todd

Originally posted by satz
to be honest, these discussions unnerve me a little. Its frightening to think we can not even be sure if our bible is really the bible... :candle:

for the record i prefer the KJV, though its more my habit than anything else.

Can you explain? I don't personally like the fact that there are so many translations, but never has it concerned me that we 'don't know if our bible is really the bible.'

Todd

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by Peters
I feel like i'm speaking in tongues here.

:lol:I learned long ago that we in the Reformed community tend to communicate by means of a code based on Campbell's alphabet soup...(PCA, OPC, PRC, RPCNA, URC, HNRC, ARC, ARPC, FPCS, FCS, FCSC, KJV, AV, ESV, NKJV, EP, CT, RP, TR, RPW, ...). Somebody ought to write a glossary of Reformed abbreviations!

You mean a wirte a GRA? Of course my favorite is a TLA.

I can't believe how many non-TR heretics there are on this board! Oh, wait, I'm one of them. :lol:

We use the NIV. When asked if I would preach from the KJV, I flatly refused. I probably would move to ESV if I didn't have so many $$ invested in NIV materials.

In the end ministers need to be savvy in the original so they are not slaves to any English translation.

Originally posted by poimen
Originally posted by Abd_Yesua_alMasih
My pastor explained to me one day that he used to use the NIV for preaching. He got sick of having to read the verse out in NIV and then having to tell everyone where it went wrong and say what the verse 'really meant'. I am fairly certain we have used the ESV ever since. It never sounds good if you have to rewrite the Bible in front of your congregation to get your point across ;)

It's ironic that I have the same problem because we use an antiquated version as our church Bible: KJV. There are so many archaic words in there, let alone the ths added on to everything, that I stumble all over the place.

My apologies to those who prefer the KJV. I grew up with the NKJV and the NIV and I think the KJV is needlessly complicated.

[Edited on 7-18-2005 by poimen]

:amen::amen::amen: I think even the Divines would agree with that.

NASB(u) from the pulpit, NKJV on the chairs (we don't have pews), and ESV for me (and many other individuals). I think if the pastor switched to the ESV from the pulpit, I might bring a NASB to church; I like having both for comparison.

NKJV in pulpit, sometimes a reading from the ESV. I prefer the KJV, for mostly good reasons and because old habits die hard.

NIV..

NIV was Elder David Juliff's and GNB was Elder Howard Morgan's Bible, both very much 'men of God'.

My first Bible purchased was the King James, still have it with lots of underlined scripture :)

Word of God

Looking for a KJV/AV in Pulpit!

My Bible is KJV/AV

The problem with NIV/ESV(RSV) and Co. is that they come from the dubious Greek text source of the Eclectic - Westcott and Hort - Vaticanus/Sanaiticus texts. This has introduced many euphemistic and erroneous interpretations onto the modern Church scene.

Sorry if this upsets some modern version users. But I think it is a very important issue.

L

My church uses NIV from the pulpit, but there are some who want to switch to ESV.

"Sorry if this upsets some modern version users."

Terribly upsetting! I had no idea that my ESV translation has introduced "euphemistic and erroneous interpretations!" I better switch to a translation based on the Byzantine text type sprinkled with a little Vulgate for good measure.

Originally posted by Peccant
Looking for a KJV/AV in Pulpit!

My Bible is KJV/AV

The problem with NIV/ESV(RSV) and Co. is that they come from the dubious Greek text source of the Eclectic - Westcott and Hort - Vaticanus/Sanaiticus texts. This has introduced many euphemistic and erroneous interpretations onto the modern Church scene.

Sorry if this upsets some modern version users. But I think it is a very important issue.

L

You're right, however your estimation of the CT remains a point of debate. It is both my and other's contention that the CT is superior to the TR. I wonder what euphemistic and erroneous interpretations you think the CT has foisted on the Church? And what, pray, did the Church use before Erasmus created the TR (in some cases, quite literally) in the 16th century?

But hey, these points have been argued on numerous threads. Welcome to the board! :bigsmile:

Our church has been using NASB for years. But one of our pastors has been switching to using ESV, and when they give out the Reformation Study Bibles to all the HS grads they've switched to giving out ESVs . . . so I think we're slowly moving in that direction. Not sure if the goal is to totally switch to ESV, or to use a combination of NAS & ESV. (Personally, I normally use the NKJV).

Our pastor switched from NIV to ESV about a year ago from the pulpit; we still have some NIV pew Bibles, but also have ESV available.

I read from NASB.

KJV here.

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I learned how to understand "thee" and "thou" language in my younger years not from the KJV but from reading Thor comics! ;)

KJV here.

I learned how to understand "thee" and "thou" language in my younger years not from the KJV but from reading Thor comics! ;)

You strike me as more of a Beowulf kinda guy! :lol:

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
KJV here.

You strike me as more of a Beowulf kinda guy! :lol:

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
I'm still not sure how I feel about the NIV in the pulpit. I don't know if it is appropriate for me to approach my Pastor concerning it.
Gabe, I am in the same denomination as you, and I am not happy about the NIV either, but I like everything else about my church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back