When worked enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PresbyDane

Puritanboard Doctor
This question was brought to mind from the thread about laizy co-workers.
I have found that when I go to work I may notice that some of my co-workers are lets say "less than super-workers" but, more pressing for me is my own work amount.
In whatever task I do at work be it "big" or "small" whenever I do it, Right there in my mind is the thought that I must work as if Jesus were to evaluate it, when I was done.
This tends to cause some stress + that whenever I leave work I never have the feeling that I have done it good enough, because one seems to always can do more.
What are anybodys thoughts on this?
It is pressing on my concience:( so please share any thoughts, please :)
 
I have a few thoughts. I think it is important to consider goals. If you have sensibly set a goal for a certain project, simply work toward that goal. Stop working when it is completed and do no more.

The other thought I have is that sometimes 100% perfect is not necessary. Sometimes, it is only necessary to do something 80% perfect. For example, if your supervisor is expecting a simple report on something, he may just scan through the report and then be done with it. If you spend most of your time trying make your report perfect, you are actually decreasing your productivity because your supervisor is not interested in that extra work you did.

You mention doing work as if Jesus was to evaluate it. But perhaps it is only necessary to do work as if your supervisor is to evaluate it, which is indeed the case (please, I am not trying to be irreverent). What is your supervisor expecting? Do only that much. My point is that you should not do more than is needed. In doing so, you will be a good steward of your time and efforts, and you will be honoring your boss and will therefore be honoring our Lord and Savior. Obviously, this assumes that your supervisor is a good leader and has appropriate expectations.

Of course, there are times to really push and excel. I am not saying you need to be mediocre. I just think you need to choose those times carefully. Indeed, there will be plenty of these opportunities - just search out those things that are especially important.

Blessings to you, Martin. It is so wonderful to hear of a man who truly wants to honor the Lord with his work. May God bless your efforts and prosper you.
 
This question was brought to mind from the thread about laizy co-workers.
I have found that when I go to work I may notice that some of my co-workers are lets say "less than super-workers" but, more pressing for me is my own work amount.
In whatever task I do at work be it "big" or "small" whenever I do it, Right there in my mind is the thought that I must work as if Jesus were to evaluate it, when I was done.
This tends to cause some stress + that whenever I leave work I never have the feeling that I have done it good enough, because one seems to always can do more.
What are anybodys thoughts on this?
It is pressing on my concience:( so please share any thoughts, please :)

It's good we have God's revealed will. He doesn't reveal everything, we could not contain it, but He does reveal much about the things we deal with day to day.

Colossians 3
22Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

I Corinthians 10
31Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
32Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
33Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

I take this to mean, "if something is worth doing at all, it is worth doing well."
Also, that our work is unto our Lord, a witness of what He has done and is doing.

There is spiritual reward for faithfulness with what God has given us to do here (rewards here, and rewards in Heaven). All Christians ought work with that in mind.

If we are late, lazy, don't keep our word, don't seek quality, it is a reflection of what is going on inside spiritually. These are sins God will chasten in the life of a believer and for which judgment will come on the unbeliever. We demand, presume faithfulness of God but do not give it to others (e.g. our employer).

On the other hand, we are not called to unduly burden ourselves with perfection, either.

In a sense, love covers a multitude of sins. We know perfection will not occur in this life, but in the state of glory only. Perfectionism is one of many things that also have a spiritual root contrary to God. If you study it deeply, the Westminster Catechism, for example, you will see it can have first, second, third, ninth and tenth commandment violations (maybe more).

So, generally, Martin, maybe one way of looking at the Scriptural principles is to do your best, ask God for grace to do your best when you do not want to, but also ask for grace you do not get caught up in the perfecting of it.:)

Also, Martin, realize (and rejoice) that because you are deeply considering these things, it is a sure sign God IS working in your life!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top