Which is Most Glorifying to God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Do you think God prefers one way over the other? Are all three just as God-glorifying?

The scenario:

Someone in front of you drops $100 and doesn't realize it.

1. You pick it up, and give it back because you're a Christian and that's the right thing to do. End of story.

2. You pick it up, and give it back, and while doing so you are talking to God about how this is being done for Him.

3. You pick it up, and give it back, and while doing so you are talking to God about how this is being done for Him, and then you tell the person you did it for God's glory.

Since my goal in life is to glorify God, I want to at least try to do it correctly.

Context dictates what one should do, surely?
If they were to ask in surprise "why would you give that back to me?" then you have good reason to speak!
Otherwise, I tend to agree with the above.

If you are really doing it for God, why do you need to tell him? He already knows. Think about the parallels in a human relationship.
1. I do something nice for my wife because I love her.
2. I do something nice for my wife while telling her "I'm doing this because I love you"
3. I do something nice for my wife, while telling her and total strangers around me "I'm doing this because I love my wife".

If I'm one of the strangers, I'd wonder if the guy really loved his wife...

Maybe a simple and from-the-heart as he thanks you: 'Well I praise the Lord that I saw it fall' or something brief like that.

4. Since the dude can’t secure the money, I could be a better steward by keeping and not losing it.

So this brings up a good point. Because our relationship with God is spiritual, do you think it is important to actively fellowship with God when doing things in his name and for his glory?

If my active motivation in a certain situation is not thinking upon glorifying God, does that make it any less glorifying to God?

If my active motivation in a certain situation is not thinking upon glorifying God, does that make it any less glorifying to God?
Not necessarily - it could be an indicator that you have rightly trained reactions and affections. C. S. Lewis gives an illustration of obedience like learning to dance. At first you're just counting, which is not dancing; but then eventually you're just enjoying the thing itself, which is dancing. In the same way, perhaps the young in faith need to constantly remind themselves why they are doing a good work; but, eventually, you should just do (and enjoy) the good work. Simply put, it doesn't need to be over-thought or over-scrutinized. As Dr. Duguid rightly pointed out, the Lord already knows why you're doing it. As Paul says, the purpose of the law is love from a pure heart (1 Timothy 1:5).

Do you think God prefers one way over the other? Are all three just as God-glorifying?

The scenario:

Someone in front of you drops $100 and doesn't realize it.

1. You pick it up, and give it back because you're a Christian and that's the right thing to do. End of story.

2. You pick it up, and give it back, and while doing so you are talking to God about how this is being done for Him.

3. You pick it up, and give it back, and while doing so you are talking to God about how this is being done for Him, and then you tell the person you did it for God's glory.

Since my goal in life is to glorify God, I want to at least try to do it correctly.

Motives are important, but 2 and 3 might be overdoing it.

So this brings up a good point. Because our relationship with God is spiritual, do you think it is important to actively fellowship with God when doing things in his name and for his glory?

It is very odd to think of an omission as an active motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back