Why Catholics Convert to Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank those who have thus far responded to this thread. My purpose was to display by public testimony the numbers of the elect today who were Roman Catholics and are now Protestant and many of us are Reformed Protestants and Calvinists. We are a Reformed Protestant site and I am sure some of our guests are Roman Catholics who also might be searching for answers.

The Reformers of the 16th century recognized that what they sought to do was not to invent new theology, but rather to return to right theology, the church Jesus established before its corruption by Roman Catholicism and popery.

I say Amen to Pastor Tony Felich and feel and experienced also as a former Roman catholic, now a Calvinist Presbyterian Protestant the same as he described "Being Reformed, especially as a former Roman Catholic is a major way I live out my loyalty to King Jesus. It wasn't a popular decision when I decided to leave Romanism. It came with a price I assure you, however, to be loyal to King Jesus I had no choice. Heck, being Reformed isn't even popular among Evangelicals, so it's not like I'm jumping on some kind of popular bandwagon in opposing Popery. I oppose Romanism as an act of loyalty to King Jesus.

Once again, I think the framers of the Westminster Confession of Faith rightly interpreted Scripture when declaring-

There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof. (WCF 25.6)

Matthew 23:8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ."

I think we former rc's can relate to John Calvin when he said "I experienced a true Protestant conversion"

Source: The History of Protestantism, by J.A. Wylie

Calvin said concerning his conversion: "By a sudden conversion, God subdued and reduced to docility my soul, which was more hardened against such things than one would expect of my youthful years."

"Like a flash of light, I realized in what an abyss of errors, in what chaos I was." " I experienced a true protestant conversion". It was at that point he renounced Roman catholicism and its pope entirely.

Calvin broke with the Roman Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back