Why Do Publishers Do This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Allen P. Ross's first volume of his new commentary on the Psalms was supposed to be published by Kregel on November 1 (tomorrow). I went to the website a couple of days ago and - sure enough, just a couple of days before the publication date - there's a notice that the publication date is now December 31!

December 31 - as if anyone will actually be working at Kregel on that day - which is a Saturday!

You'd like to say: "You're the publisher! Don't you even know when you're going to publish your own books?"

Grrr, I say!

I remember when Michael Horton's Systematic Theology was first announced. It's released date was moved back at least five times that I remember. And then one day (I think it was someone here on the PB) exclaimed they had purchased it and were reading it. I was like, "What! When did that come out!"

Lots of factors may have caused it:

Delays in getting finances in order.
Delays with the printing company getting everything worked out.
Editor sent the draft back to be revised/edited.
Contract issues (though its more common in the secular scene for this to happen)

I remember when I bought the first volume of Doug Kelly's Systematics 3 years ago being told by Christian Focus that the second volume would follow soon after the first.

(for those keeping score the 2nd volume has yet to be released)

As frustrated as you are, there is surely an author or editor somewhere who's even more frustrated over this. The book didn't make its publication date because something, somewhere, was messed up in the publishing process.

I remember when I bought the first volume of Doug Kelly's Systematics 3 years ago being told by Christian Focus that the second volume would follow soon after the first.

(for those keeping score the 2nd volume has yet to be released)

Dr. Kelly takes his time writing. He was working on vol. 1 when I was at RTS ... it didn't come out until a year or so after I had been gone.

To the OP: Sometimes, the delay is on the author; they ask the deadline to be pushed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back