Why do you follow what you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edm

Puritan Board Sophomore
All of the talk recently about the Sabbath has made me wonder. I agree that trying to keep the Ten Commandments are what God wishes. Now, I am nowhere near where I would like to be in my Christian growth, I'm still new to reformed theology, so please take this as an honest question. Do you try to keep Gods other Old Testament laws? I understand why we don't sacrifice animals..that's not the question, but the others like haircuts,tattoos, what you eat etc. Why or why not? There may be a verse in the New Testament that deals with this, but I am not familiar with it yet. Again, honest question. Just trying to learn.

The standard answer to your question would be that there is perceived to be a threefold division of the law. The civil law, which applied to national Israel, the ceremonial law, which applied to temple sacrifices, and the moral law, such as the ten commandments. Most Christians today would argue that the civil law no longer applies because we do not live in national Israel and that the ceremonial law no longer applies because the temple sacrifices have been fulfilled in Christ. That leaves the moral law which is eternal and unchanging. Distinguishing between the three can occasionally be tricky, but in most cases it is fairly obvious.

Hi Ed,
When I was coming into the Reformed Church, I too was a little perplexed by the Law of God. This is natural, because many churches don't really know what to do with it. Since you profess to hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith - I suggest that you look at Chapter 19, on the Law of God. Pasted here for you. Study this carefully - and see that tripartite division of the law that Bill referred to. Notice something very interesting about the civil and ceremonial laws, they both contain moral truths in them, even if they are abrogated or no longer binding as specific laws. The general equity of the civil law (Paragraph 4), and instruction of moral duties of the ceremonial - such as being separate from the world (Paragraph 3).

Then, look at the Larger Catechism's instruction on the Moral Law. There's a lot to look at in the Word, but after you have a chance to study this in detail - I believe it will be incredibly helpful in your sanctification, and being conformed to the Image of Christ. If you see the Moral Law as an expression of Jesus Christ's character (see Psalm 1; after all, he conformed to it perfectly), it will be an incredible blessing to you.

Chapter 19. Of the Law of God
1. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which He bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it. (Gen. 1:26–27, Gen. 2:17, Rom. 2:14–15, Rom. 10:5, Rom. 5:12, 19, Gal. 3:10,12, Eccl. 7:29, Job 28:28)

2. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables: (James 1:25, James 2:8, 10–12, Rom. 13:8–9, Deut. 5:32, Deut. 10:4, Exod. 34:1) the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man. (Matt. 22:37–40)

3. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; (Heb. 9, Heb. 10:1, Gal. 4:1–3, Col. 2:17) and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties. (1 Cor. 5:7, 2 Cor. 6:17, Jude 1:23) All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the new testament. (Col. 2:14, 16, 17, Dan. 9:27, Eph. 2:15–16)

4. To them also, as a body politic, He gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the state of that people; not obliging any other now, further than the general equity thereof may require. (Exod. 21, Exod. 22:1–29, Gen. 49:10, 1 Pet. 2:13–14, Matt. 5:17, 38–39, 1 Cor. 9:8–10)

5. The moral law doth for ever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof; (Rom. 13:8, 9, Eph. 6:2, 1 John 2:3–4, 7–8) and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it. (James 2:10, 11) Neither doth Christ, in the Gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation. (Matt. 5:17–19, James 2:8, Rom. 3:31)

6. Although true believers be not under the law, as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified, or condemned; (Rom. 6:14, Gal. 2:16, Gal. 3:13, Gal. 4:4–5, Acts 13:39, Rom. 8:1) yet is it of great use to them, as well as to others; in that, as a rule of life informing them of the will of God, and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; (Rom. 7:12, 22, 25, Ps. 119:4–6, 1 Cor. 7:19, Gal. 5:14, 16, 18–23) discovering also the sinful pollutions of their nature, hearts, and lives; (Rom. 7:7, Rom. 3:20) so as, examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against sin, (James 1:23–25, Rom. 7:9, 14, 24) together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ, and the perfection of His obedience. (Gal. 3:24, Rom. 7:24, Rom. 8:3–4) It is likewise of use to the regenerate, to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin: (James 2:11, Ps. 119:101, 104, 128) and the threatenings of it serve to shew what even their sins deserve; and what afflictions, in this life, they may expect for them, although freed from the curse thereof threatened in the law. (Ezra 9:13–14, Ps. 89:30–34) The promises of it, in like manner, shew them God’s approbation of obedience, and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof: (Lev. 26:1–14, 2 Cor. 6:16, Eph. 6:2–3, Ps. 37:11, Matt. 5:5, Ps. 19:11) although not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works. (Gal. 2:16, Luke 17:10) So as, a man’s doing good, and refraining from evil, because the law encourageth to the one, and deterreth from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law; and not under grace. (Rom. 6:12, 14, 1 Pet. 3:8–12, Ps. 34:12–16, Heb. 12:28–29)

7. Neither are the forementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it; (Gal. 3:21) the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely, and cheerfully, which the will of God, revealed in the law, requireth to be done. (Ezek. 36:27, Heb. 8:10, Jer. 31:33)

Praise the Lord

Hi Ed,

What Bill and Rom expanded upon I will also expand beside what they have provided:

Chris Coldwell and Matthew Winzer, "The Westminster Assembly & the Judicial Law: A Chronological Compilation and Analysis," The Confessional Presbyterian v. 5. (2009) 3-88, 322.

For me, these articles (Coldwell Part One; Winzer Part Two) truly were amazing. Thanks to both of them for their work.

Lord Bless

Thank you all. This is what I was looking for. When you join a church this is not the first thing...or second...or third thing they teach you normally. So this is a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back