Why strucure it this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
So my question is about the opening for 1 Chronicles. The first nine chapters is devoted to genealogies and they are presented in a somewhat unexpected order as well (i.e. they are selective an not simply chronological). This raises the obvious question: why structure it this way? What broader message is the author trying to convey by prefacing the book this way? I'm assuming it has to do with the critical context which 1 & 2 Chronicles played in redemptive history by offering a selective retelling of Israel's history as a backdrop to the books of Ezra and Nehemiah. Can anyone help to fill in the gaps here and perhaps offer some further explanation?

The genealogies serve to foster Israel's religious and racial purity. They also show God's plan to bless some more than others for His purposes.

I've always been fascinated with the way that the author of 1 Chronicles structures the initial genealogical list. For instance, he simply gives a list of names in the first few verses: "אָדָם שֵׁם אְֶנושׁ קִינָן מַהְַלַלְאֵל יָרֶד" Since the main focus of the book is the reign of David, I think that the author is simply making a bee-line to his story by only listing and not discussing his progenitors in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back