Windows XP balloon popups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
How can I stop those balloon popups from popping up in the lower right hand corner of the screen?
 
Seems every time Norton et al figure out a way to deal with pop-ups, the browser programmers figure out a way to get around it.

I used the Firefox browser on my former computer but have used IE exclusively on this one. Do people get what you're describing in Firefox as well?
 
Originally posted by Greg
How can I stop those balloon popups from popping up in the lower right hand corner of the screen?

I give you the same bit of wisdom I gave Bob Howe: don't turn the computer on. It works every time.

:cool: (Am I beginning to look like a computer geek, Bob?)
 
Go the the start button, click on RUN, and type in CMD.EXE

A window will open, at the curser type the following:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /V EnableBalloonTips /T REG_DWORD /F /D 0
 
Originally posted by houseparent
Go the the start button, click on RUN, and type in CMD.EXE

A window will open, at the curser type the following:

REG ADD "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced" /V EnableBalloonTips /T REG_DWORD /F /D 0

Thanks Adam. This is what I was looking for. I remember someone telling me before that it was done through the registry.


Originally posted by fredtgreco
Better yet, download the Microsoft TweakUI Powertoy and it will allow you to change this (and other) settings easily.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Thanks Fred. Very easy. Uncheck one box and no more popup balloon tips!! Those were getting a little annoying after a while.
 
Originally posted by fredtgreco
Better yet, download the Microsoft TweakUI Powertoy and it will allow you to change this (and other) settings easily.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Toys aren't good enough for Pastor Greco. He needs Power Toys!

Thanks for reminding me of that actually. I used to love the Power Toys when I used Windows 98 but haven't used the Power Toys for years.

A couple of other things:

1. The popups Greg is talking about are in the OS themselves and not associated with the Web Browser.

2. Linux? Bah! You guys sound like Amiga or Mac zealots. Linux is good as a server platform but I wouldn't use it as a desktop OS except as a toy (not a Power toy mind you).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top