Wireless internet for a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
What are my options for wireless internet with a desktop? I thought a wireless router would work to pick up a wireless signal but it doesn't look like it at this point.

Specs: PC, Windows XP, ethernet
 
More details needed. What type of router? What type of wireless card/device in the desktop? How far is the desktop from the router? Does the signal travel through walls? How many?

Maybe I misunderstood. Do you have a configuration that does not work, or are you looking for something that will work?
 
More details needed. What type of router? What type of wireless card/device in the desktop? How far is the desktop from the router? Does the signal travel through walls? How many?

The distance would be the key question. If the desktop is in the same room as the router, I would suggest using a wired connection.

To have a wireless network you need a wireless router that is wired to the cable or DSL modem. It will not pick up the internet from the air. N type wireless is faster but less able to work through walls than G. Be sure to secure your wireless network or anyone within range can get on.
 
Thank you for all the suggestions. I don't know what made me think a wireless router would pick up a wireless signal. I must have hit my head - really hard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top