Would You Die If You Were Lost in the Wilderness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the most popular insect wrong. Of course beetles are edible, but who cares how popular they are? I'm sticking with grasshoppers anyway.

I think you are correct, sir. I myself have eaten platefuls of fried grasshoppers in China and saw many, many others doing the same. That's one city of 10 million in a country of 1 billion. Beetles are not so popular there, so I think that grasshoppers have a statistical edge.

I was thinking the same thing on that question; especially when you factor in the grasshopper's big brother, Mr. Locust.

I got a 14. But, if I have a good knife and I'm in the eastern woodlands, I should be good for a while... if I do say so myself, which I do.

Maybe I did learn something in the Scouts.

And count me in the Grasshopper crowd.

12- I hope someone finds my dead body before decay is too severe or animals use me for food. And here I was so sure my raising in rural East TN, my Cherokee ancestry and my natural pioneer moxy would keep me safe.

17 - couple of interesting an non-related questions on the quiz.
As for actually surviving if lost in the wilderness: It depends upon location and preparation. I think I would fair well in most locations, but it does depend upon what resources are available. I don't think I would do well in very wet areas, due to somewhat limited fire making skills. I have bow drilled, and fresnel lensed some fires, but not on extreme wet vegetation such as in some jungles. I think the challenge would be quite interesting.

I scored 15, but that just shows quizzes don't prove anything.....I might know where to find insect larvae, but that doesn't mean I'm about to eat any.
However, I should be ok, since we don't really have wilderness in this country. The Scottish Highlands are about as inhospitable as it gets (but I doubt it's possible there to live on the insect life, which is chiefly midgies) :)

I scored 15, but that just shows quizzes don't prove anything.....I might know where to find insect larvae, but that doesn't mean I'm about to eat any.
However, I should be ok, since we don't really have wilderness in this country. The Scottish Highlands are about as inhospitable as it gets (but I doubt it's possible there to live on the insect life, which is chiefly midgies) :)

Try Wood ant larvae, taste like egg!

In the Highlands you are never that far from the sea so there are plenty of delights on the sea-shore.

Sarah, I don't think anyone answered this – you can tell how far away a thunder storm is by counting the seconds between the lightning flash and the thunder: roughly one second is one mile. If you count five seconds, the lightning is about 5 miles away. If there's no time lapse, it's on top of you!

I think wilderness survival is a important skill to have. One can get a Boy Scout booklet on it (for a merit badge, I think), and there are many other books. A good and true one is Tom Brown Jr.'s, The Tracker, about a young boy being taught such skills by the grandfather of one of his friends, an elderly Indian medicine tracker. It recounts his and his buddy's many adventures. Though few can get that profoundly into it. Brown used to be a church-going man, but I think went New Age.

Having some basic survival knowledge allows one to avoid panic and remain calm if ever caught unexpectedly in the wilds. If it's not in the middle of winter, the wilderness is often safer than our society's wilderness of hearts.

roughly one second is one mile.

Steve, I hate to be picky because your advice is good, but speed of sound at 70 degrees F is about 770 miles per hour.

770 mph divided by 3600 seconds per hour = 0.21 miles per second. So sound takes roughly 5 seconds to go a mile. If you count 5 seconds, it's only a mile away.

The National Severe Storms Laboratory thinks the same thing:

USATODAY.com

bleurghh. Thanks for that useful piece of info :duh:

In the Highlands you are never that far from the sea so there are plenty of delights on the sea-shore.

worse and worse, I hate shellfish even served on a plate. Where I live isn't actually in the Highlands, so maybe that's the way I'd better keep it :)

bleurghh. Thanks for that useful piece of info :duh:

worse and worse, I hate shellfish even served on a plate. Where I live isn't actually in the Highlands, so maybe that's the way I'd better keep it :)

Highlands or not, you are not that far from the sea. What about your garden. You must have snails, frogs, wood pigeon. My mother always taught me that if you were starving you would eat.;)

My mother always taught me that if you were starving you would eat.
yes, but I'm willing to bet she was talking about rice pudding or whatever your pet hate happened to be, and was not plying you with grilled garden gastropods :p

I got a 16. If someone is so cold that they lose their bladder control...I'm leaving them for dead.

hahahahaha that is terrible! I clean pee up all the time it's not so bad! :p

Cool. You can be the pee cleaner when the feathers hit the fan. I'm pretty good with a bo staff, and have the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man, so I should be alright in the wild.

(Confession: none of that was true--that was a reference to Napoleon Dynamite, not a willful violation of the 9th commandment.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back