Some questions for those who believe in Darwin's evolution either partially or in whole
It drives me nuts how smug evolutionists are, and how they discredit YEC's as crazy
here are some questions
-how did we acquire brains? (feeling, emotions, rational thought etc.)
-what started everything? (the first cause)
-how did the dinosaurs get here, how did they become extinct?
-where are all the transitional fossils and missing link, etc?
-I believe evolution is all hogwash, and I don't believe the world is millions of years old, why do we accept the theories of a few men like Darwin as fact and why should we believe studies set up to establish these preconcieved notions for many who are thoroughly anti-Christian?
What about theistic-evolutionists? They frustrate me even more so sometimes, any here? How do you justify your beliefs?
As a high school science teacher I have been forced to work through this issue in some detail. I certainly do not claim to have the whole answer, but I will share with you where I am at thus far.
At this point there are too many names and titles for the huge spread of positions one could subscribe to on this issue. At the end of the day I am convinced that the Scriptures are authoritative and without error as the writings of our Creator. I am also convinced that there is a lot of very good science that has occurred over the past few hundred years which shows us that the earth is billions of years old. Furthermore, there are many, many examples of how biology exhibits evolution so that species can adapt to life changing conditions in their environment (something that seems like an intelligent process if you ask me). Examples could include the moths in industrial Europe and certain bugs that evolve to blend in with the vegetation of their surroundings.
That's a bit of background to my position, now I will attempt to specifically answer your questions as best I can from my finite and fallen mind,
I think:
a) We got out brains from God when He created man (Gen 1:26-27), and we have emotions and a conscience because He made us as His image-bearers.
b) The first cause from science would seem to be the 'big-bang', but this is just the leading theory among a couple of other possibilities. I think it is a good conclusion to the scientific data, and it certainly does not contradict the fact the God made everything with His Word (Gen 1:1). The easy answer is to claim God created the big bang. I don't see too much obvious support for this biblically, and it is not a "done deal" scientifically so the Christian scientist can easily think of the big bang as a possibility, knowing that God created the heavens and the earth.
c) The dinosaurs were on earth as they were part of God's creation. The leading theory of their extinction is a glaciation due to a meteor striking the earth. This is scientifically possible and certainly would not disagree with the creation account. It might remain a mystery in science forever, but they were definitely created by God (Gen 1:24-25).
d) I suspect the so-called "transition fossils" are a good example of reprobate man looking for any excuse to continue in rebellion to his God. Just like JennyG wrote, one of the great mystery's of Darwinian evolution is the missing links proving inter-species evolution. I think the answer is that inter-species (macro-evolution) is false, and points man back to see the fact that God specifically and purposefully created "living creatures
according to their kinds-livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth
according to their kinds" (Gen 1:24b, italics added). This is one example of why I think evolution does wonders for pointing us
towards God and why the young-earth position
can easily point us
away from "[God's] invisible attributes, namely his eternal power and divine nature", as those attributes and that divine nature is "clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,
in the things that have been made." (Rom 1:20, italics added). Also notice that this verse ends by explaining that the reprobate are "without excuse" because God has revealed His existence and creation in the world.
I hope this helps you as you seek to know the Creator of the universe as He has revealed Himself. I am sure that what I wrote has error in it, and pray that it might have some truth so that you might be edified and God would get the glory!