"You should be a Christian because..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
but appealing to a person's felt needs seems like the wrong way to go about this
“Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

"but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Jesus meet sour needs because He is what we need. Am I selfish because I am hungry? No, I am hungry because Im created to hunger and when I eat food and am full then things are as they should. In the same way, all humans are hungry and thirsty for the entire things of God, and Jesus gives us all of them

Anyone can correct me if they disagree, but appealing to a person's felt needs seems like the wrong way to go about this.
You are correct. As others have noted above, the first and foremost reason why "you should be a Christian" is simply that it is the command of the Creator to the creature - the divine imperative: Repent and believe (Mark 1:15; Acts 17:30).

The temptation (and the contemporary tendency) to situate gospel proclamation in the individual's "felt needs" is to get the cart before the horse. We do not, principally, come to Christ because of our good pleasure(s) but because of His. All the sweet benefits of that coming - our awareness of and delight in His goodness, love, joy, peace, hope, etc. - are the fruits of our unity with Christ.

Last edited:
all humans are hungry and thirsty for the entire things of God
And yet, that hunger and thirst is the product of our sinful, rebellious casting away of the very food and drink we really do need! We must first recognize that before we move on to the sweetness of the gospel. Just a few days ago, I came across this short article by Mohler, where he addresses "felt need" preaching.

Will he love Jesus or take Him on because love of self and the desire not to perish?
It is not so much love of self, as it is every man innately understands the need to turn away God's wrath. Why do the pagans bow to their gods, and even sacrifice humans to but propitiate the wrath of their gods. When the true God and His anger towards the sinner replaces these idols in men's hearts is when they understand their lost estate. You cannot simply recount the blessings and joys of Christianity, for while this may turn the hearts of some to at least be interested in Christ, the only thing that can change a man's heart is when Christ becomes their only hope, and this usually is at the presentation of the gospel, which is believe on Christ Jesus, and you shall be saves. This implies that they need saving, and from what? Their sin. Why? Because God is angry with the sinner every day, and God will damn him otherwise. We are dull and blockheaded, and it is usually that we require our heads to be knocked a bit before we see our true need for Christ. Some may truly be interested by the recounting of all the joys that are ours in the Heavenly places, but this is foolishness to man, preaching is foolishness to the natural man, so telling them of some fantastical joy ride, (which is how Heaven, the marriage super of the Lamb will sound to them) will not be of much use to the sinner who is going to Hell. Salvation isn't an option, unless their sin is confronted. How can a sinner love God? The sinner hates God because of His righteousness. He must be shown that his sin is damning, but, if he rests on Christ for the turning away of wrath, he will be saved. Then comes all the wonderful realization of the gifts our Heavenly Father bestows upon His children. God eve when warning His people speaks thus, because of the hardness of our hearts, we do not need our corruption to be pandered to. Read Deuteronomy 28. Verses 1-13 are the blessings for obedience, 15-68 are the curses; 13 for blessings, 53 for curses. There is great joy in Christ, but there is terrible judgment for refusing Christ, and this is what the sinner needs to know.

Let's say we use the pitch "there's a hole in your heart only Jesus can fill".

This may be true in a sense, but Jesus hasn't promised to relieve us from all psychological and existential anxiety in this life. He hasn't promised to make friendships and marriages obsolete.

The void that people feel may be a childhood without parents, a bad relationship with a spouse, or basic loneliness. I don't think believing in Christ repairs all of these hurts once you walk the aisle or make a profession of faith. Was Jesus himself delivered from all trouble during his earthly life?

Presenting Christianity in this way can set people up for disappointment. I know that when I was young hearing the gospel presented like this made me wonder if I was truly saved since I don't always feel whole or at peace.

It sounds like they are comparing being a Christian with being a non-Christian. Which one will give me my best life now? I would tell them about all the hardships and trials that come with being a Christian. That just like with the life they are living now they will have hard times and very good times, but with Christ those hard and good times are very different than being without Christ. He expects you to live according to his law but not without faith in Christ who gives his righteousness to you. Then give them the best part last......heaven instead of hell.

This may be true in a sense, but Jesus hasn't promised to relieve us from all psychological and existential anxiety in this life. He hasn't promised to make friendships and marriages obsolete.

The void that people feel may be a childhood without parents, a bad relationship with a spouse, or basic loneliness. I don't think believing in Christ repairs all of these hurts once you walk the aisle or make a profession of faith. Was Jesus himself delivered from all trouble during his earthly life?

Presenting Christianity in this way can set people up for disappointment. I know that when I was young hearing the gospel presented like this made me wonder if I was truly saved since I don't always feel whole or at peace.
"Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden" is still a promise of Scripture, even if this rest does not come perfectly in this life.

You are most correct; we reap what we sow, and if we have sown to the flesh, we will still hurt very much as the more dross in our gold, the more the fires of sanctification burn. This has been my experience, and it makes me wonder very much whether I am saved or not, but that is life. Our hope is not for a painless life on earth, but a glorified one in Heaven. We will be saved, though as by fire, and if we have built our dwellings with sticks and straw, o how hot it does burn, but the gold ever refines. This should drive us to Christ the more.

Context is everything -- something as simple as: "Know your creator! He will make himself known to you," might spark an interest. This could move someone past the religion of "you shoulds," "if you try hard enough" and the lies perpetrated by humanistic professors. I'd expect a more full explanation of the gospel to be given over time.

"Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden" is still a promise of Scripture, even if this rest does not come perfectly in this life.

True, but isn't this directed at people who are laden by the yoke of the law? I don't think he means heavy laden with social anxiety, or whatever emotional problem we may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Christianity begins with a triumphant indicative." J.G. Machen. Christ has died, and is risen again.

Why?

This is the question posed by the OP. Who is this person, and why does he and what he did matter to me? Why should I view him as my Glory? Why should I give up everything else that looks like it's worth something, for obtaining the least place in his kingdom?

"Why should I take up my cross, and follow him? That's what he said? Sounds like a losers game, to me."

Indeed.

No one is right with God. The "gospel" or "good news" implies that there's some bad news that needs a remedy. The letter of Romans is structured so that in the first place all men, of whatever origin or moral standing, are classed together in the category of the condemned. "The wrath of God is revealed" against them. If they are brought under conviction, then they may find hope in the fact that "the righteousness of God has been revealed" in the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Anyone who will not have Christ on Christ's terms, does not understand his predicament. Jesus does not "go good with anything." He will not salt your stew. He demands your unconditional surrender. Jesus wouldn't cut a deal with anyone, and this is one factor that sealed his fate, so to speak, in earthly terms in the 1C. He was not a politician. He was not a negotiator. He is a King, and he acted like one with the powers he dealt with in this world long ago.

You need to see there's more than this world. Gain all of this, and lose your soul, and what does all this get you? The word and the way of the cross is foolishness to them that are perishing.

Why should you become a Christian? Because everyone should have a hero, and Jesus is the one only suitable. He is the Mediator: the Prophet, the Priest, and the King. And you need all three.

Because God's judgment for sin is coming (Romans 1-2). Jesus is the only ark of salvation.

The good King sacriced Himself to chain the dragon in order to save the lady who believed the dragon's lie. He will return someday to finally slay the dragon and, until then, His bride waits.

He chose the woman even though she hated Him, in spite of the fact that she hated everything that He offered, His whole kingdom, even Himself- and yet He came down from His throne and sought her, and saved her.

The King is Jesus, the woman is His church, or those for whom He died, and the dragon is Satan. The tragedy is that Satan attempts even now to drag you into the pit that he is going to remain in for all time, but if you repent and believe, you will be washed of your sin and your hatred for the King. You can know forgiveness, you can know your Savior.

Last edited:

This reminds me of the Samaritan woman at the well. She went from relationship to relationship without understanding the God sized void in her.

I think Jesus filling that void is a biblical response to the person.

God bless,
William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back