The Christian And The Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
This was written in the 1820's. I wonder what they would think of the stuff we watch on T.V. today and rent on DVD. Wow!

THE CHRISTIAN AND THE THEATER

Look at what they wrote about actors in the 1820's:

Accordingly, in all ages and countries, play-actors have been generally found triflers, buffoons, sensualists, unfit for sober employment, and loose in their morals. It is not pretended that there have been no exceptions to this character. But the exceptions have been so few, and their circumstances so extraordinary, as to confirm, rather than invalidate the general argument. And is it even true, that there ever has been a complete exception? Was there ever an actor who exhibited a life of steady, exemplary, Christian purity and piety? I never heard of such a person; and until I do, I shall venture to say there never was one. Yet this is the profession which all who frequent the theater contribute their share, to encourage and support. They give their presence, their influence, and their money—for the maintenance of a class of people whose business it is—directly or indirectly, to instill error and sin, to corrupt our children, and to counteract whatever the friends of piety and good morals are striving to accomplish for the benefit of society.

The writer would think that nothing has changed, as far as character goes, but he would be shocked that our culture as a whole CELEBRATES the very things that his day had the sense enough to hide behind closed doors.

Why do you suppose the entertainment industry is the vehicle of vice?

Looks good brother...will download it.

Psalm 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
Psalm 101:7 "He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight."

This was written in the 1820's. I wonder what they would think of the stuff we watch on T.V. today and rent on DVD. Wow!

Accordingly, in all ages and countries, play-actors have been generally found triflers, buffoons, sensualists, unfit for sober employment, and loose in their morals. It is not pretended that there have been no exceptions to this character. But the exceptions have been so few, and their circumstances so extraordinary, as to confirm, rather than invalidate the general argument. And is it even true, that there ever has been a complete exception? Was there ever an actor who exhibited a life of steady, exemplary, Christian purity and piety? I never heard of such a person; and until I do, I shall venture to say there never was one. Yet this is the profession which all who frequent the theater contribute their share, to encourage and support. They give their presence, their influence, and their money—for the maintenance of a class of people whose business it is—directly or indirectly, to instill error and sin, to corrupt our children, and to counteract whatever the friends of piety and good morals are striving to accomplish for the benefit of society.

Ouch, that smarts on the conscience...:um:

Richard, the PRCA pamphlet #19 contained many items of interest but I found this one particularly revealing. It would seem that in 1966, Synod changed its mind about theatre attendance because people weren't obeying their injunctions anyway. That's quite a strategy for a biblically-directed body to employ! :shooting self in foot smilie here:

The basic position of the committee was that the film arts were not per-se wrong and that it is permissible for the Christian to attend good movies. In fact, the committee considered it desirable to attend good movies and urged upon the Churches to busy themselves in subjecting the film arts to the dominion and rule of Jesus Christ.

Oh my. We all see how well that turned out.

Still working on the rest of it. Though quite voluminous, I am looking forward to it. Cheers.

David Murray's sermon on movies and the Christian:

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=8507171319

Well I listened to it last night. I would highly recommend it! :up:

I also recommend it. Just listened to it and it's really good. He answers all of the objections that come up. I especially liked that he quotes the WLC on sins forbidden in the 7th commandment. Not one pays attention to these anymore:

The sins forbidden in the seventh commandment, besides the neglect of the duties required, are, adultery, fornication, rape, incest, sodomy, and all unnatural lusts; all unclean imaginations, thoughts, purposes, and affections;all corrupt or filthy communications, or listening thereunto; wanton looks, impudent or light behavior, immodest apparel; prohibiting of lawful, and dispensing with unlawful marriages; allowing, tolerating, keeping of stews, and resorting to them; entangling vows of single life, undue delay of marriage; having more wives or husbands than one at the same time; unjust divorce, or desertion; idleness, gluttony, drunkenness, unchaste company; lascivious songs, books, pictures, dancings, stage plays; and all other provocations to, or acts of uncleanness, either in ourselves or others.

Accordingly, in all ages and countries, musicians and dancers and artists have been generally found triflers, buffoons, sensualists, unfit for sober employment, and loose in their morals. It is not pretended that there have been no exceptions to this character. But the exceptions have been so few, and their circumstances so extraordinary, as to confirm, rather than invalidate the general argument. And is it even true, that there ever has been a complete exception? Was there ever musician, dancer or artists who exhibited a life of steady, exemplary, Christian purity and piety? I never heard of such a person; and until I do, I shall venture to say there never was one. Yet this is the profession which all who frequent the stage or the gallery contribute their share, to encourage and support. They give their presence, their influence, and their money—for the maintenance of a class of people whose business it is—directly or indirectly, to instill error and sin, to corrupt our children, and to counteract whatever the friends of piety and good morals are striving to accomplish for the benefit of society.

Wouldn't the same be just as true with the changes in bold? Are we to hide in fear from all of the arts?

Just so you know, my entire family is auditioning tonight for a community theater production of "Oliver!" Your prayers would be appreciated. My 12 year old would like to play the part of 'the Artful Dodger.' I don't know what they will do with me seeing that there are not many adult roles. There are two other families from my church that are auditioning as well.

Accordingly, in all ages and countries, musicians and dancers and artists have been generally found triflers, buffoons, sensualists, unfit for sober employment, and loose in their morals. It is not pretended that there have been no exceptions to this character. But the exceptions have been so few, and their circumstances so extraordinary, as to confirm, rather than invalidate the general argument. And is it even true, that there ever has been a complete exception? Was there ever musician, dancer or artists who exhibited a life of steady, exemplary, Christian purity and piety? I never heard of such a person; and until I do, I shall venture to say there never was one. Yet this is the profession which all who frequent the stage or the gallery contribute their share, to encourage and support. They give their presence, their influence, and their money—for the maintenance of a class of people whose business it is—directly or indirectly, to instill error and sin, to corrupt our children, and to counteract whatever the friends of piety and good morals are striving to accomplish for the benefit of society.

Wouldn't the same be just as true with the changes in bold? Are we to hide in fear from all of the arts?

I trust that these will answer your question:

http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_19.html
http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_92.htm

Just so you know, my entire family is auditioning tonight for a community theater production of "Oliver!" Your prayers would be appreciated. My 12 year old would like to play the part of 'the Artful Dodger.' I don't know what they will do with me seeing that there are not many adult roles. There are two other families from my church that are auditioning as well.

Oh no dear brother. I just posted it because I have a great concern about the influence that TV and movies have had on the church and family. I never intended it to be legalistic or to make blanket judgements. However, this entire study has brought about great conviction on me to be more wary about what goes in my eyes and ears in the future.

Oh no dear brother. I just posted it because I have a great concern about the influence that TV and movies have had on the church and family. I never intended it to be legalistic or to make blanket judgements. However, this entire study has brought about great conviction on me to be more wary about what goes in my eyes and ears in the future.

I knew your intentions, Mr. Farley, and I agree with them. I know there is one member of PB, (No Longer A Libertine) who works in Hollywood and I am sure he has some horror stories as I do about the field of professional musicians. I think there is a real danger to any of the arts for falling into pride, especially if you are talented. (That is why it has never been a danger for me.) Many begin to actually believe what everyone tells them.

Come to think of it, this happens with athletes, politicians and even preachers!

TV/Movies and such...

Interesting thread. I don't have the citations in front of me but I think many in the church reacted the same way to the rise of the novel. It would be a helpful study. Doesn't the quote go that a "...novel is a well told lie." Sufficed to say, all kinds of professions suffer a blanket condemnation today whether they deserve it or not. Police officers, lawyers, statesmen, doctors and business people and so forth no doubt all feel persecuted.

Just to let you know, my oldest boy was cast as Oliver Twist, I was cast as Mr. Bumble, and my two youngest boys were cast as orphans. My wife and daughter plan on helping with the sets. The performances are in Nov. Four in Victorville, and four in Phelan. Get your plane reservations now.

I have always had a secret desire for thespianism. :D

Recently I have been provoked greatly by some articles I read about the sinfulness of drama. Since then I, by His grace, have resisted their lure.

http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_19.html
http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_92.htm

also this.

I read through the majority of the 1st one. While I agree that Christians need to be careful about addiction to entertainment, etc., I would challenge several key assumptions made in that article.

1) It said that you cannot know whether a movie is good or bad before you go to see it. That is simply no longer true with sites such as screenit.com and pluggedinonline.com. PluggedInOnline warns you of any objectionable content, including unBiblical worldviews. I never go to a movie without first checking these.

2) I'm simply not persuaded by the "drama is sin" argument. It seems to me that some huge leaps are made..."we are uniquely created in God's image, so to take on someone else's personality is sinful." I can't find that in Scripture. If that is something that someone is convicted on, I understand and am not going to pressure them to participate/watch drama, but I simply fail to grasp that argumentation. But in order to be fair, I will take the time to read the second one and see what else is to be said.

Theater in its purest sense is simply story telling in 3-D. It starts in the backyard when we say, "OK, we'll be the cowboys in the wagon train and you be the indians that are trying to rob us."

I think Mr. Farley and other concerns are over the fact that it seems to inevitably take on 'baggage' that can be damaging. I agree but take it one step further to point out that all of the arts have this tendency.

A whole new thread could be started to discuss 'WHY?'

1) It said that you cannot know whether a movie is good or bad before you go to see it. That is simply no longer true with sites such as screenit.com and pluggedinonline.com. PluggedInOnline warns you of any objectionable content, including unBiblical worldviews. I never go to a movie without first checking these.

The key issue is not so much what the content is but the fact that drama is in and of itself sinful. I shall however deal with that later.

A second issue is whether we should frequent the cinema or theatre owing to our giving tacit consent to what goes on. "Oh, Covenant Joel went to see X-men at the multiplex and he is a Christian. It will be ok for us to go and see the Simpson's movie." It sets a bad example. "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." (Psalm 1:1)

Regarding content. Do those films, shows or whatever make light of marriage? Do they wink at adultery and fornication? Do they champion revenge and vengefulness? Do they teach us to glory in our nation as opposed to Christ? Do they teach that disobeying parents is funny? And I could go on.

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." (Psalm 101:3)

2) I'm simply not persuaded by the "drama is sin" argument. It seems to me that some huge leaps are made..."we are uniquely created in God's image, so to take on someone else's personality is sinful."

I would argue that look at one of the biggest blue collar crimes - fraud. The world knows that to impersonate someone is wrong. It is a lie and so breaks the 9th commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." I am pretending to be someone else. I am impersonating someone else.

"He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight." (Psalm 101:7)

Try this also. :)

My point is starting this thread was to try and get us to re-examine our entertainment habits. We let so much filth into our home via the T.V. set and video's that we have become desensitized to sin and unbiblical worldviews. The whole study has led me to be ever more vigilant in stopping unchristian entertainment and views outside the door of my house and before they make it in. I may have to put up with it in the work place but it does not need to be in my home.

I found this to be rather powerful, from Tertullian's De Spectaculis, which AV linked to above.

Chapter 29

Even as things are, if your thought is to spend this period of existence in enjoyments, how are you so ungrateful as to reckon insufficient, as not thankfully to recognize the many and exquisite pleasures God has bestowed upon you? For what more delightful than to have God the Father and our Lord at peace with us, than revelation of the truth, than confession of our errors, than pardon of the innumerable sins of our past life? What greater pleasure than distaste of pleasure itself, contempt of all that the world can give, true liberty, a pure conscience, a contented life, and freedom from all fear of death? What nobler than to tread under foot the gods of the nations—to exorcise evil spirits—to perform cures—to seek divine revealings—to live to God? These are the pleasures, these the spectacles that befit Christian men—holy, everlasting, free. Count of these as your circus games, fix your eyes on the courses of the world, the gliding seasons, reckon up the periods of time, long for the goal of the final consummation, defend the societies of the churches, be startled at God's signal, be roused up at the angel's trump, glory in the palms of martyrdom. If the literature of the stage delight you, we have literature in abundance of our own—plenty of verses, sentences, songs, proverbs; and these not fabulous, but true; not tricks of art, but plain realities. Would you have also fightings and wrestlings? Well, of these there is no lacking, and they are not of slight account. Behold unchastity overcome by chastity, perfidy slain by faithfulness, cruelty stricken by compassion, impudence thrown into the shade by modesty: these are the contests we have among us, and in these we win our crowns. Would you have something of blood too? You have Christ's.

The key issue is not so much what the content is but the fact that drama is in and of itself sinful. I shall however deal with that later.

I was merely responding to an assertion made in the article.

A second issue is whether we should frequent the cinema or theatre owing to our giving tacit consent to what goes on. "Oh, Covenant Joel went to see X-men at the multiplex and he is a Christian. It will be ok for us to go and see the Simpson's movie." It sets a bad example. "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." (Psalm 1:1)

I do not see how your argument follows. "He saw X so I can see Y." That doesn't logically follow. I am consenting to only what I personally view, not what everyone else is viewing. Personally, I am not a frequent movie goer, because I do not find much that there that I wish to watch. But when there is something there that I consider worth seeing, I go.

Regarding content. Do those films, shows or whatever make light of marriage? Do they wink at adultery and fornication? Do they champion revenge and vengefulness? Do they teach us to glory in our nation as opposed to Christ? Do they teach that disobeying parents is funny? And I could go on.

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." (Psalm 101:3)

What you are arguing for there is, if I am not mistaken, discernment, which I would stringently advocate with regards to movies. But I do not think that an unbiblical worldview necessarily makes a movie forbidden to the Christian--we should be discerning enough and rooted enough in Scripture to identify those for what they are, and reject the ideas, while still enjoying a form of entertainment which is nonetheless well done and therefore indicative of God's common grace.

But again, I am an advocate of being very careful in what we watch. A steady diet of those things without biblical reflection on them would be quite problematic.

I would argue that look at one of the biggest blue collar crimes - fraud. The world knows that to impersonate someone is wrong. It is a lie and so breaks the 9th commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." I am pretending to be someone else. I am impersonating someone else.

Again, I simply do not see that logical connection. What the world knows isn't necessarily the issue (not denying natural law or conscience). Fraud is not a crime because it impersonates someone, it is because it steals their identity to use it for unlawful ends. That is entirely different than pretending to be Julius Caesar in a production of Shakespeare's play.

In what way is someone involved in bearing false witness against his neighbor by pretending to be Julius Caesar? No one thinks he is genuinely Caesar. No one thinks he is trying to steal Ceasar's identity. He is merely reenacting what a historical novel might do--putting flesh on the words. I would object that it is a lie. It would be a lie if I said in all seriousness, "I am Henry V." But if I am playing Henry V in a drama, I am not seriously saying that I am he. I am fleshing out a story.

"He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight." (Psalm 101:7)

No one denies that lying should be avoided. I just do not see the connection between lying and drama.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I do not see how your argument follows. "He saw X so I can see Y." That doesn't logically follow. I am consenting to only what I personally view, not what everyone else is viewing. Personally, I am not a frequent movie goer, because I do not find much that there that I wish to watch. But when there is something there that I consider worth seeing, I go.

Indeed but that is not what your normal self-justifying natural man thinks. This however is simply a tertiary concern for the more pressing issue is whether we should be watching drama in the first place.

I do not think that an unbiblical worldview necessarily makes a movie forbidden to the Christian--we should be discerning enough and rooted enough in Scripture to identify those for what they are, and reject the ideas, while still enjoying a form of entertainment which is nonetheless well done and therefore indicative of God's common grace.

A drama founded upon an unbiblical world-view is not going to promote good. Can a lepard change his spots, can good fruit come from a bad tree etc etc.

The doctrine of common grace is a lie propagated by Abraham Kuyper. It has no foundation, absolutely none, upon the word of God. The ploughing of the wicked is sin. Every act that the wicked man does is sinful. He is unable to do good and God's wrath rests upon the fruit of their labour.

But again, I am an advocate of being very careful in what we watch.

:up:

Again, I simply do not see that logical connection. What the world knows isn't necessarily the issue (not denying natural law or conscience). Fraud is not a crime because it impersonates someone, it is because it steals their identity to use it for unlawful ends. That is entirely different than pretending to be Julius Caesar in a production of Shakespeare's play.

On first glance, yes but what of the prinicple. The principle is that you would be pretenting to be someone you are not. That is a lie and is under the wrath of God.

In what way is someone involved in bearing false witness against his neighbor by pretending to be Julius Caesar?

From the Westminster Larger Catechism:

Question 143: Which is the ninth commandment?
Answer:
The ninth commandment is, Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Question 144: What are the duties required in the ninth commandment?
Answer:
The duties required in the ninth commandment are, the preserving and promoting of truth between man and man, and the good name of our neighbor, as well as our own; appearing and standing for the truth; and from the heart, sincerely, freely, clearly, and fully, speaking the truth, and only the truth, in matters of judgment and justice, and in all other things: Whatsoever; a charitable esteem of our neighbors; loving, desiring, and rejoicing in their good name; sorrowing for, and covering of their infirmities; freely acknowledging of their gifts and graces, defending their innocency; a ready receiving of a good report, and unwillingness to admit of an evil report, concerning them; discouraging talebearers, flatterers, and slanderers; love and care of our own good name, and defending it when need requires; keeping of lawful promises; studying and practicing of: Whatsoever things are true, honest, lovely, and of good report.

Question 145: What are the sins forbidden in the ninth commandment?
Answer:
The sins forbidden in the ninth commandment are, all prejudicing the truth, and the good name of our neighbors, as well as our own, especially in public judicature; giving false evidence, suborning false witnesses, wittingly appearing and pleading for an evil cause, outfacing and overbearing the truth; passing unjust sentence, calling evil good, and good evil; rewarding the wicked according to the work of the righteous, and the righteous according to the work of the wicked; forgery, concealing the truth, undue silence in a just cause, and holding our peace when iniquity calls for either a reproof from ourselves, or complaint to others; speaking the truth unseasonably, or maliciously to a wrong end, or perverting it to a wrong meaning, or in doubtful and equivocal expressions, to the prejudice of truth or justice; speaking untruth, lying, slandering, backbiting, detracting, tale bearing, whispering, scoffing, reviling, rash, harsh, and partial censuring; misconstructing intentions, words, and actions; flattering, vainglorious boasting, thinking or speaking too highly or too meanly of ourselves or others; denying the gifts and graces of God; aggravating smaller faults; hiding, excusing, or extenuating of sins, when called to a free confession; unnecessary discovering of infirmities; raising false rumors, receiving and countenancing evil reports, and stopping our ears against just defense; evil suspicion; envying or grieving at the deserved credit of any, endeavoring or desiring to impair it, rejoicing in their disgrace and infamy; scornful contempt, fond admiration; breach of lawful promises; neglecting such things as are of good report, and practicing, or not avoiding ourselves, or not hindering: What we can in others, such things as procure an ill name.​

You are lying to them.

No one thinks he is genuinely Caesar. No one thinks he is trying to steal Ceasar's identity. He is merely reenacting what a historical novel might do--putting flesh on the words. I would object that it is a lie. It would be a lie if I said in all seriousness, "I am Henry V." But if I am playing Henry V in a drama, I am not seriously saying that I am he. I am fleshing out a story.

"Drama is, by definition, the presentation of the life of another person, whether real or fictitious, by the assumption of that person's personality for purposes of entertainment. The key point here is that drama is possible only by assuming another's personality. Any textbook on drama will emphasize this. The "gifted" actor is the person who is able to suppress completely his own personality and assume the personality of another. The more he is able to do this, the better actor he is. He must, to be successful, assume to himself all the thoughts, all the desires, all the emotions, all the feelings of the person whose role he plays. He must, as much as he can, make himself that person. He must make himself feel as that person feels, think as that person thinks. He must, so to speak, crawl behind the skin of that man and get into his bones and marrow to lay hold of that person in the very depths of his being. He must put himself deeply inside that person so that he looks through the person's eyes, down that person's nose, and experiences all that that person feels and thinks....In the second place, the sin of this can be demonstrated by means of another consideration. All will have to agree that in assuming another personality there are only two possibilities. The one possibility is that of assuming the personality of a sinner. But if an actor assumes the personality of a sinner, he must, in the nature of the case, assume all that person's sin. He must think his evil thoughts, experience his evil emotions, will his evil desires, speak his evil words, and do his evil deeds. He must assume all those sins and make them his own in a very deep and intense way."

Moreover, should the acts of these historical figures be played out? Who wants to see the incest of Nero pretend or otherwise? Who wants to see marriage scorned? To laugh at such things is to sin.

No one denies that lying should be avoided. I just do not see the connection between lying and drama.

I trust you will in time :handshake:

I would simply urge you, when you next feel the need for a fix of movie, to stop and do something wholesome with that time, sanctify your time brother. Blessings shall abound for sure.

http://sb.rfpa.org/printissue.cfm?issue=467

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back