The ESV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldierOfTheRock

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok, I believe I have seen Sproul advertise the ESV bible, I have also seen it on some other reformed sites. So then what makes the ESV so great?

What is the background of the thing?

Anyone know anything about, I know somebody on this board has ESV qoutes in their signature.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Joshua

[quote:7d8a4a5ab2][i:7d8a4a5ab2]Originally posted by SoldierOfTheRock[/i:7d8a4a5ab2]
Ok, I believe I have seen Sproul advertise the ESV bible, I have also seen it on some other reformed sites. So then what makes the ESV so great?

What is the background of the thing?

Anyone know anything about, I know somebody on this board has ESV qoutes in their signature.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Joshua [/quote:7d8a4a5ab2]

Joshua,

I've used it pretty extensively in the last year since so many profs at RTS use it. It is more readable than the NASB but still a word for word translation (unlike the NIV). It is very close in general to the NKJV, since the ESV is an update of the RSV and the RSV was an update of the KJV.

I think it is an excellent translation. I think the four must have bibles now are NKJV (my preference), ESV, NASB (for study only for me, it's not very readable) and NIV (because so many have it).

The ESV is my favorite Bible.I have 8 English translations.I made a big search and comparison with several of my Bibles.I especially compared the ESV with the NASB-updated.I have found that many times what is in the marginal reference of the NASB(when it says:"Lit....)actually is in the text of the ESV.Ocassionally I prefer a NASB rendering or even a Weymouth,but overall it is my favorite.
My new Holman Christian Standard Bible is rather nice,but not as accurate.I haven't devoted the time to comparisons much yet.But I think it is better than the NIV,
and just as easy in the reading.I know,I know,when it is "smooth"there could be trouble.In general a difficult text should be rendered without smoothing it out as such.However,I am enjoying it very much.

[quote:87c9a5bbe1][i:87c9a5bbe1]Originally posted by SoldierOfTheRock[/i:87c9a5bbe1]
I know somebody on this board has ESV qoutes in their signature.[/quote:87c9a5bbe1]

That would be me :cool:. There are basically two reasons I started using it as my standard Bible version, which Fred basically already mentioned: First, it is a reliable in that it was translated with a word-for-word philosophy (rather than a dynamic equivalent, thought-for-thought one), and yet is one of the only such translations that is also very readable, without compromising the literal accuracy. Second, I saw so many authors, professors, scholars, pastors and lay-persons within the Reformed community using it, I figured there must be some gold to it!

In Christ,

Chris

I have an ESV sitting here among my collection of about 30 Bibles, probably 20 different translations or paraphrases. I never liked it very much...but it still beats modern revisions like the awful NIV or the "Living Bible" which is the biggest piece of garbage inflicted on Christendom since Arminianism.

Not only do we now have a bad text from which to translate, but the new translations which come down the line every year aren't even very good. Yet publishers make money by peddling this stuff.

I wish someone would make a modern, consistent translation of the Textus Receptus; that would indeed be the best of both worlds.

[quote:bcd466d517][i:bcd466d517]Originally posted by Authorised[/i:bcd466d517]

I wish someone would make a modern, consistent translation of the Textus Receptus; that would indeed be the best of both worlds. [/quote:bcd466d517]

Amen! That is the very crux of it. The ESV is the best translation based upon (in my opinion) the wrong texts!

I have heard that the Trinitarian Bible Society here in the UK is looking at proposals to commission a new translation based upon the Masoretic and TR texts. I will investigate...

I love the ESV and also agree with Fred's explanation. I have many versions but this one gets the most use now. If I am working on exegesis of hard verse or passage I will use other versions including greek/hebrew. I also have word study dictionaries and a big collection of commentaries as additional tools.

Thanks for al the input.

Thanks for all the responses. So I am to understand that this comes from the same line as the NIV and other modern text. - Poop!

I myself am partial to the family of text that the KJV and NKJV come from.

Thanks for the help,
Joshua

JohnathanHunt - If you find out something about that new translation basd on the Recieved Text let me know please.
Thanks

[quote:bf6fc372e4][i:bf6fc372e4]Originally posted by Authorised[/i:bf6fc372e4]
I wish someone would make a modern, consistent translation of the Textus Receptus; that would indeed be the best of both worlds. [/quote:bf6fc372e4]

It's called the New King James Version. :D

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by sastark]

[quote:c98789858b][i:c98789858b]Originally posted by sastark[/i:c98789858b]
[quote:c98789858b][i:c98789858b]Originally posted by Authorised[/i:c98789858b]
I wish someone would make a modern, consistent translation of the Textus Receptus; that would indeed be the best of both worlds. [/quote:c98789858b]

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by sastark] [/quote:c98789858b]

:amen:
:ditto:

[quote:0443e13d26][i:0443e13d26]Originally posted by fredtgreco[/i:0443e13d26]
[quote:0443e13d26][i:0443e13d26]Originally posted by sastark[/i:0443e13d26]
[quote:0443e13d26][i:0443e13d26]Originally posted by Authorised[/i:0443e13d26]
I wish someone would make a modern, consistent translation of the Textus Receptus; that would indeed be the best of both worlds. [/quote:0443e13d26]

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by sastark] [/quote:0443e13d26]

:amen:
:ditto: [/quote:0443e13d26]

:amen: and :amen:
:ditto: and :ditto:

I do referene the ESV and NASB when studying and use the ESV from time to time for our congregational Scripture reading in worship, but I am by far a NKJV man!

PW

I have a copy of the ESV. At RUF my campus minister preaches and teaches from that, so occaisionally I use it.

I have a New Geneva NKJV and I use that for personal study.

My church (McIlwain) uses the NIV, which I do not care much for, but a lot of teaching is also done from other texts to clear up the NIV's wishy-washiness.

So far, I'm beginning to enjoy the NKJV, and have found the references very helpful in so many ways. I hear that there is going to be a New Geneva ESV soon...tempting.

I am going to show my liberalism: I do occasionaly use the RSV. In some ways that is why I immediately purchased and ESV. But in a bizarre witnessing episode I loaned my ESV to an unbeliever and he has it now (I told him do not give it back to me).

I heard from Michael Butler (SCCS) that the NASB was dispensational in its translation. Is that true? I know that translations aren't conservative or liberal, or Dispensational, only there translators are. But I do know what Butler was getting at. What do ya'll think?

ESV

Interesting conversation!! I also have a copy of the ESV and I have laid it down side by side with the NKJV and have added all the words to the ESV that are in the NKJV that was left out of the ESV. I wrote them in in ink and highlighted them. My ESV now reads more like the NKJV and I feel like nothing has been left out of the Word of God. Its are real eye-opener to see the difference and were and how those difference occur. Also, it would be nice to see a translation of the Bible using the Majority Text. Oh, and currently I have an English Bible collection of 67 or 68 different translations. Personally, it has been helpful for someone that don't know the originial languages. Most people have no idea what the English Bible has been through. It also makes one think that almost everyone that has learned the Greek and Hebrew, have felt it was necessary to attempt to do their own translation. Thoughts???

I just got an ESV 2 days ago. I haven't started to read it yet, but am looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if there is a ESV/NKJV paralell Bible? Or something similar ESV/?

I enjoy the ESV for the same reasons mentioned by Fred, Chris, Tim and others. I am currently using primarily ESV. although I still miss NKJV as main study Bible (Textus Receptus). Maybe I am the only one...but I love sticking with a good translation until I mark it ALL up with notes (and dates of the notes)...essentially making my own study bible... thats my kind of journal... Its like a timeline of my growth.

Anthony,
Amazon has a four version parallel, ESV-NKJV-NLT and the Message by John R. Kohlenberger. I had ordered it earlier in 2004 but it kept being pushed back and I think is now available. Not sure I really need it as I use ESV and NKJV already. It would be convenient though to have during sermons.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Darrin

Originally posted by Canadian Baptist
Anthony,
Amazon has a four version parallel, ESV-NKJV-NLT and the Message by John R. Kohlenberger. I had ordered it earlier in 2004 but it kept being pushed back and I think is now available. Not sure I really need it as I use ESV and NKJV already. It would be convenient though to have during sermons.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Darrin

Thanks for the info ... I'll look that up.
I'm not really interested in the NLT or the Message. I'd rather have something like a 2 version parallel.

It would be really cool if there was a paralell like this....
NKJV/KJV - ESV - Hebrew OT - Greek NT

I seem to waver between the ESV, the NKJV and the NASB. The ESV eloquently paints many pictures just as the KJV paints when I read it. In many areas, it actually translates the same word more consistantly than the NASB.
I agree with some above though, I like the text the KJV/NKJV comes from. As already mentioned, it is pretty easy to add the missing verses into the ESV/NASB if your studies are fruitful using those translations :lol:

I just picked up a cool little pocket version of the ESV yesterday. It was $20, but I had a coupon for 20% off so I got it for $15. Not too bad. I'll be able to take this one around with me to work and such.

I have moved from the NKJV to the ESV as well. It's accurate, reads well, and I really like not having those pesky scribal insertions, explanatory notes, and other various additions that show up in the NKJV :p

My main bible is a NASB and I reallly like the language, never had a problem with the readability. The Church I went to in college used the NASB as well. About a year ago I picked up a pocket size ESV, and I like it as well, its really very similar to the NASB. A few years ago while in a hotel I fipped through a Gideon NKJV and did not like it at all. Personally I don't believe the KJV needs to be "updated." I also have a NRSV which I occasionally use when studying the Apocrypha.

Just curious. Is it just me? I carry a parallel KJV/NKJV to church. However, in my studies, i.e. on my E-Sword, I have about 1o different versions. I lean into only the NKJV w/ Strongs Concordance because of the concordance. Other than that, I would have no favorite per se. All of them are needful to my studies.

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by Scott Bushey]

I'm going to the store a little later today to pick up a couple small pocket versions (ESV) for two of my older boys. They liked the one I bought, so now we will all have the same translation to take around with us. Kind of like a travel Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back