The ESV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that online site

I just saved it to my favorites. I'm going to buy an ESV today I think, I like the way it read.
I still like the NIV, but you guys have spoiled it for me.
TD:p

I really enjoy the ESV it is a translation that can safely be studied from and yet has language that in my mind "sounds" like the word of God. Stately and poetic. Now of course sounding like the word of God has nothing to do with it being an accurate translation, but it sure makes devotional reading enjoyable. Probably a result of my being raised on the KJV.:)

ESV Reformation Study Bible

I just got this a few days ago and have been enjoying it very much. I did a comparison of Proverbs 16 in the RSV and ESV and found them to be over 90% the same. The ESV really shows its roots in the RSV; a good thing in many ways, I think.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Just curious. Is it just me? I carry a parallel KJV/NKJV to church. However, in my studies, i.e. on my E-Sword, I have about 1o different versions. I lean into only the NKJV w/ Strongs Concordance because of the concordance. Other than that, I would have no favorite per se. All of them are needful to my studies.

Are you saying you have NKJV for e-sword? I'd love to get that, however I didn't think it was available.

Matt

Originally posted by Matthew Glover
Are you saying you have NKJV for e-sword? I'd love to get that, however I didn't think it was available.

Matt
I don't have an NKJV module for E-Sword but the NKJV is available on Power BibleCD available from Online Publishing, Inc.
127 N. Matteson Street PO Box 21, Bronson, MI 49028
[email protected]

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by DocCas]

I've owned an ESV since 2002 I think... and frankly I never got into it... I know it comes on high recommendations from J.I. Packer and R.C. Sproul. However, I just could NOT get into it. I haven't read that much and prefer my Reformation Study Bible in KJV. Plus, I don't have ESV in study Bible format.

Supposedly, it is not like the trendy 'New Wave' translations that utilize dynamic equivalence in the translation ("thought for thought translation") as opposed to near word-for-word precision. This is perhaps a merit of the ESV. I haven't really done cartwills over it... I don't feel it possesses the poetic ring that King James or New King James text has. I would loathe seeing ESV displace KJV/NKJV in the pulpit.
:2cents:

I personally like the KJV and ESV for English translations. I have turned people off the NIV & Newliving and onto the ESV. Kudos for the ESV! It fills a niche

Originally posted by larryjf
I would loathe seeing ESV displace KJV/NKJV in the pulpit.
How about replacing the NIV with the ESV? That's exactly what our church just decided to do.

Which is excellent. Laying aside the underlying textual arguments, moves away from dynamic equivalence to literal translations are to be encouraged.

The ESV is vastly superior to the NIV for that reason.

In the pulpit, I prefer the NKJV for textual and translatory reasons. But I'd settle for the ESV - and would really, really be reluctant to sit under NIV-led ministry!

JH

Jenson

I would change from KJV to NJKV without any hesitation.

It retains the same underlying texts, and is gently modernised so that it far better represents the language of people today than does the KJV.

Of course, I still love the KJV also.

JH

The NKJV seems to be here at this link...

I have removed the link because it is infringing on the copyright of the NKJV.

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by larryjf]

ESV

My only brush with the ESV is with e-sword and I like it and will prolly buy a copy, I mainly use the NRSV but like everyone else here I have quite a few versions as well as Greek and Hebrew books. The English in the ESV is to me very smooth and enjoyable to read.

[deleted link]

:banana: Oh thank you!!!! I'm downloading it now!! :D :banana:

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by bond-servant]

Originally posted by bond-servant
Deleted Link

:banana: Oh thank you!!!! I'm downloading it now!! :D :banana:

:ditto: The NKJV is my favorite!!

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by Jeff_Bartel]

can anyone confirm whether it's ok just to download and use this?
That's a good question. Looking on E-Sword's site where they have available bible modules...
http://www.e-sword.net/bibles.html
They don't seem to even offer the NKJV.
I would assume you would have to get in contact with Neslon, since anyone can make a database that will be recognized by E-Sword.

I actually just e-mailed Nelson with the situation, so i hope to get a response soon. When i do, i will post the response in this thread.

Nelson has told me that the NKJV module is in violation of copyright.

I edited my post and deleted the link from it.

If all others who quoted my post with the link could delete the link from there post that would be great.

Edited the link out of my post too. Thanks for the information Larry.

It's too bad though. :(
I was really excited about it ..

Maybe sometime soon Nelson will either give permission, or allow a module to be made and sold ? .....

:candle:

I keep checking this thread hoping to read comments on my new favorite translation: the ESV.

*sigh*

The OPC, which we previously attended before moving down here, made the transition from NIV to ESV in the pews and it was very well received as far as I can tell, but I do have mixed feelings about certain aspects of the ESV, although it is to be preferred far above the NIV as a pulpit bible in my opinion. My favorite translation had previously been the NKJV, and I have recently begun to move back in that direction. This is not on a textual basis, mind you (although I don't agree with every decision that the UBS/NA editors made), but a stylistic basis.

The ESV's style in the OT is actually quite good. In fact there are places where it supercedes the NKJV. For example, in that famous passage regarding the LORD's word in Jeremiah 23, the ESV translates the waw conjunction of v. 28 in such a manner as to highlight the contrast between the false prophets and the true word of the LORD which Jeremiah has been making throughout this chapter. The NKJV translates this with "and", causing one to wonder if both clauses have the same referent or not. This can muddy the intent of Jeremiah here, and I find that the ESV tends to be better at picking up these nuances in the Hebrew scriptures.

On the other hand, the NT style seems lacking in a way that I can't now place my finger on. Less punch, less grandeur? I don't know. I do know that it sure does get irritating to see the same disclaimer on every page where the masculine term "anthropos" occurs, alerting the potentially offended readers that this term encompases both brothers and sisters in accordance with Greek style. You would think that the lengthy explaination given in the preface would be enough. Whatever the reasons, I have begun to lose interest with the ESV, but I still believe that it is a very good translation; nothing to be ashamed of.

I think that in the long run the NKJV will by my English version of choice. Our family has already returned to it for our devotional times.

Adam,

"The OPC, which we previously attended before moving down here, made the transition from NIV to ESV in the pews."

Are you saying that the entire OPC has made the switch to the ESV?

I agree that the OT is better than the NT in the ESV, just like it was in the old RSV. One of the things that drove me to study Greek and Hebrew was my frustration with all translations. I prefer to read the NT in Greek, and I intend to brush up my Hebrew so I can read the OT in the original as well.

I prefer to read the ESV above all other translations. The way it words certain portions of Scripture, especially in the OT, is awesome. Such as Job's repentance speech ... nothing touches the way the ESV renders it:

NASB:
5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
6 Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes."

ESV:
5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes."

[Edited on 6-29-2005 by WrittenFromUtopia]

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
I prefer to read the ESV above all other translations. The way it words certain portions of Scripture, especially in the OT, is awesome. Such as Job's repentance speech ... nothing touches the way the ESV renders it:

NASB:
5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
6 Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes."

ESV:
5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes."

[Edited on 6-29-2005 by WrittenFromUtopia]

It's been several months since I've read Job in the ESV....I like that better too.

Been using the NKJV again.

[Edited on 6-29-2005 by Ivan]

pound for pound i stand by the esv. Piper lives by @ his church and i stand by it at our school it is the closest literall translation from the dead sea scrolls and all the latin Recepti. in the sense of literal translation it reads very smoothly. i would say though that the NASB is the closest comparison with the NASB ahead just a little because of the emphatical wording it uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back