The ESV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piper on the English Standard Version

My aim tonight is to help you be persuaded that exposing millions of people (pastors, teachers, students, laypeople) to the ESV would undo the dominance of the NIV and put in its place a more literal, and yet a beautifully readable, memorizable Bible"”the English Standard Version. And this would be a good thing.

In the following examples of NIV paraphrasing compared to the more literal ESV there are four convictions at stake.

1. A more literal translation respects the original author's way of writing. It is a way of honoring the inspired writers.

2. Translators are fallible and they may mislead the English reader if they use unnecessary paraphrases to bring out one possible meaning and conceal others.

3. A more literal translation gives preachers more confidence that they can preach what the English text says with authority that it reflects what the original Greek or Hebrew text says.

4. A more literal translation which preserves ambiguities that are really there in the original keeps open the possibility of new insight by future Bible readers.

I do not claim that the ESV is without its own level of "paraphrasing." Some will always be necessary. And there will always be disagreements about how much is necessary. I am simply arguing that the ESV is the best balance available of readability and literalness. I hope that it becomes the standard for the church.

Originally posted by Learner
The ESV is my favorite Bible.I have 8 English translations.I made a big search and comparison with several of my Bibles.I especially compared the ESV with the NASB-updated.I have found that many times what is in the marginal reference of the NASB(when it says:"Lit....)actually is in the text of the ESV.Ocassionally I prefer a NASB rendering or even a Weymouth,but overall it is my favorite.

I've done the same thing. I love the ESV.

I used to be a staunch defender of the KJV and the NKJV but after comparing the different versions and reserching how they translated the ESV, I saw that the ESV was an excellent translation of the Bible and I bought the ESV Reformation Study Bible. I would recomend it to anyone!

Originally posted by street preacher
I used to be a staunch defender of the KJV and the NKJV but after comparing the different versions and reserching how they translated the ESV, I saw that the ESV was an excellent translation of the Bible and I bought the ESV Reformation Study Bible. I would recomend it to anyone!

Hi Street Preacher;
I've just been reading a book here in Scotland by A.J. Macgregor on Modern versions and their supporting Greek Texts. Heres a quote. "The biggest failing with the ESV is that it adheres to the eclectic text of the RSV, (based primarily on the Westcott and Hort text, as with the NIV.)
I was wondering if you went into that depth of research of Greek Texts
in your study of this version? Do you have a different perspective on this "problem."?

I have about 17 translations but the EVS is the one I don't have & want. I'm going to get the Reformation Study bible in it & kill 2 birds with one stone. It would be nice to see the Thompson/Kirkbride people come out with one in the ESV.

ESV is free! on E-sword.

Oh, and 3John2, please see board rules for signature requirements, thanks. (you can click on the link in my signature block to get there).

I love the ESV and the NJKV Bibles. I have MacArthur's Study Bible Which incorporates the NJKV. Not long ago, I felt the need to acquire a couple of other Bibles because of their reformed study notes. I love Sproul's ESV Version. The type is readable for someone who's eyes are on the downside of good ( at almost 45 ). I also have the Spirit of Reformation Study Bible which uses the NIV. The text in this Bible is horribly small, however. Bring on the Reading glasses, but the notes are excellent. Many of the Creeds are incorporated in this one in the back of the Bible, which I love. My brother in law is the manager of Lanhams Bible Bookstore here in Chattanooga, so He recently gave me a copy of the New Zondervan Archaeological Study Bible. This is a heavy, thick Bible, incorporates NIV, but the text is somewhat smallish too. The Bible is indexed, which is great, seeing it is the only indexed Bible I have. This Bible's Pages are beautifully shaded and the archeological informtation is volumous! This is not one to lug to church because it is quite hefty, but I have been using it a lot, just for the wonderful notes on anceint texts, artifacts, and archaeology in general. I also have a parallel Bible that has NIV/Message. I know the Message is pretty loose as far as translations goes, but sometimes it really helps to put things into perspective. Anybody else here have anything good to say about "The Message" Translation?

The only thing useful about the message is it can also be used to start up a bbq fire.:D What do you like about the Macarthur? Just curious. I don't have one have CONSIDERED one just for the notes as I already plan on getting a NKJV (currenly have only the NT) Thompson. Next in line perhaps even tonight is a Reformation Study bible in ESV.

Originally posted by larryjf
Interesting blog article about the ESV's conjectures in Jeremiah 18:14...

Evangelical Textual Criticism

I can't believe it. My faith is shaken to it's core.

'Does the snow of Lebanon leave the crags of Sirion? Do the mountain waters run dry, the cold flowing streams?

That is the first verse I ever memorized and my grandfather had it read at his funeral. I painted it on the front door of my house and even put it to music. I just got a contract with a plastics manufacturer to have the verse printed on bracelets for teens and I have 4000 coffee cups ready to market.

Now you tell me that it's a bad translation. I am DONE with the ESV, it was my favorite. I will now return to my well worn but beloved Good News For Modern Man. Thank you for directing me to this exposé of the shoddy lackluster aberations of the ESV. How many have now been confined to eternal damnation for believing that the snow of Lebanon leaves the crags of Sirion? Oh the humanity!!!!!!
:bigsmile:

Note from nursing staff: Bob was able to chew through one of his leather straps this morning and access his keyboard. We've changed his meds recently. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Edited on 5-17-2006 by BobVigneault]

Too funny. Bob.

BTW, I'm going back to my KJV!!

(Actually I DO like reading the KJV from time to time. Feels like home.)

Well, i thought it was an interesting article.

Personally i have been going back and forth between the NASB and ESV alot lately.

I found it interesting as well Larry. Don't confuse my shameless misuse of your post to get a laugh as a mocking of your post. The post was a good one but I'm still crazy.

Seriously, I lack the technical knowledge to make a comprehensive comparison of the translations so I have to trust the recommendations of others. I do enjoy the wording and rhythm of the ESV very much. If the ESV slipped up in translating then I'm glad it was the Jeremiah passage and not the divintiy of Christ. So I found your post encouraging.

Thank you for clearing that up.
I think some of the problems in the ESV will be cleared up in their next edition (whenever that will be).
I also really enjoy the literary style of the ESV. It seems to make it much easier for memorization.

I actually don't use the Macarthur SB much any more. He's a great teacher and I like the notes except for the Dispensational notes toward the end :um:

LOVE the Reformation SB. Text is very readable.

Originally posted by 3John2
The only thing useful about the message is it can also be used to start up a bbq fire.:D What do you like about the Macarthur? Just curious. I don't have one have CONSIDERED one just for the notes as I already plan on getting a NKJV (currenly have only the NT) Thompson. Next in line perhaps even tonight is a Reformation Study bible in ESV.

[Edited on 5-17-2006 by caddy]

Bob,

Yes, i think i remember that being posted on another thread. Pretty cool.
I think it's a good thing that he started using one version (ESV), it looks like some of his first CD's incorporated multiple versions (NIV/NASB).

Originally posted by Fernando
Adam,

"The OPC, which we previously attended before moving down here, made the transition from NIV to ESV in the pews."

Are you saying that the entire OPC has made the switch to the ESV?

I agree that the OT is better than the NT in the ESV, just like it was in the old RSV. One of the things that drove me to study Greek and Hebrew was my frustration with all translations. I prefer to read the NT in Greek, and I intend to brush up my Hebrew so I can read the OT in the original as well.

No, the OPC, as a denomination, has not made any formal pronouncements regarding the ESV (for instance, the ESV being "blessed" by a General Assembly). It has, however, adopted the ESV as its "default" translation for its denominational magazine New Horizons (which amounts to the same thing, I suppose) and for Bible study materials put out by the publishing outfit jointly run by the OPC and the PCA (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back