Ed Walsh
Puritan Board Graduate
Just about everything written by three Johns:
Ed
- John Bunyan's -- Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - to me, this book was far scarier than anything in Pilgrim's Progress.
- John Owen's -- Volumes 6 & 7 were my two favorites. I wore out volume six and had to buy a new Banner edition. Then I got Logos. My favorite of Owen's is his exposition of Psalm 130 (vol 6). A biographer of Owen's related how his exposition came deeply from Owen's heart, as he was recovering from a severe, long-term illness Owen was convinced he would die from. From those "depths," Owen looked up to his only hope. **(Psalm 130:1-4)
- John Flavel's -- Works. As Owen was bursting with sheer brain power, Flavel was overflowing with love and pastoral concern for his flock.
**Psalm 130:1-4 KJV
Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: Let thine ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications. If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, That thou mayest be feared.
~~~~~~~
I asked GPT-4 how they might freshen up and improve my post.
Here’s the answer:
~~~~~~~
Hi Joe, (a fictitious name I put in my question so the AI would better understand my post)
~~~~~~~
AI reply:
~~~~~~~
I noticed your interest in 17th-century Puritan literature, and I highly recommend delving into the works of the “three Johns” of that era. Each offers a rich and deep exploration of theological and spiritual matters. Here’s a glimpse into why I hold their writings in high esteem:
John Bunyan
- “Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners”: To me, this autobiographical work was even scarier than anything found in “Pilgrim’s Progress.” Bunyan’s raw and honest portrayal of his spiritual journey really resonated with me, and it might strike a chord with you, too, given its profound exploration of the human condition and spirituality.
- Works: Volumes 6 & 7: These volumes were my favorites. Volume 6, in particular, has a special place in my heart, and I even had to get a new Banner edition after wearing out my previous copy. In this volume, Owen’s exposition of Psalm 130 felt incredibly personal and heartfelt, especially learning that it stemmed from a severe illness where he found solace and hope in faith (Psalm 130:1-4).
- Complete Works: Flavel’s works are a treasure trove of love and pastoral concern. While Owen impresses with depth of thought, Flavel touches the heart with his evident respect and love for his flock.
This revised post maintains your personal touch while adding a bit more structure and detail to guide the reader in understanding why you value these works so much. It also opens up a channel for further conversation by inviting Joe to share his thoughts after reading.
~~~~~~~
Below was my reply:
~~~~~~~
You did very well understanding what I was asking, even though I accediently posted it before I was finished perfecting my quirie.
One more thing. It's off-topic, but I decided this is as good a place as any. And you certainly don't have to read anything at all that I post.
~~~~~~~
OFF-TOPIC. An FYI from a computer about the danger of AI technology.
~~~~~~~
I asked:
Do you have any updated information on the possible dangers of AI if mishandled?
ChatGPT-4
As of my last update in September 2021, the concerns and potential dangers associated with the mishandling of AI remain quite significant, and they cover a broad range of issues, including privacy violations, the amplification of misinformation, and security vulnerabilities. Here, I outline a few key areas of concern, bearing in mind that the field evolves quickly and new concerns may have emerged more recently:
1. Privacy Violations
- Mass Surveillance: AI can be used to enable mass surveillance, with potential abuse of privacy rights.
- Data Misuse: AI systems often rely on large datasets, which, if not handled properly, can lead to privacy violations.
- Deepfakes: AI can create highly convincing fake videos and audio recordings, known as deepfakes, which can be used to spread misinformation and propaganda.
- Algorithmic Bias: AI systems can inadvertently promote misinformation through biased algorithms that amplify extremist content or fake news.
- Cyber-Attacks: AI can be used to develop more sophisticated cyber-attacks, potentially leading to security breaches and data theft.
- Autonomous Weapons: In a military context, AI can be used to develop autonomous weapons systems, with the potential for misuse and escalation in armed conflict.
- Job Displacement: The increasing automation of jobs through AI can lead to job displacement and economic upheaval.
- Social Manipulation: AI can be used in social engineering attacks, utilizing large amounts of data to manipulate individuals or groups of people.
- Malfunction: AI systems can malfunction, potentially leading to accidents, particularly in scenarios where AI controls vehicles or other machinery.
- Loss of Control: There's a theoretical risk of a superintelligent AI system finding ways to resist human control pursuing objectives that are not aligned with human safety and well-being.
- Consent and Autonomy: Issues around consent and the autonomy of AI systems, particularly as they become more advanced, are potential areas of concern.
- Moral Responsibility: Determining moral responsibility in the case of AI-related accidents or harms can be a complex issue.